Saddle Sores

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

slick1

by slick1

Hi all.

I have got a saddle sore in the place where you'd expext to get a saddle sore and it quite sore when i ride. I think its starting to form into a callus.

Is there any ointment or anything i can rub on it to get rid of it?

Thank
slick1

CAAD7R3000

by CAAD7R3000

Depending on how bad it is, I try and still ride but after riding clean the area in the shower well and treat it with Savlon or some sort of anti bacterial cream.

If it is really bad, consider taking a couple of days off the bike to let it heal and wear boxers instead of briefs so the seams dont rub on it.

I also find chamois cream a good preventative measure for them, especially in Summer when it is a lot warmer. If you get them regurlarly, maybe you should look at changing your saddle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mottsauce

by Mottsauce

Shouldn't be wearing underwear in the first place...

Sounds like the saddle doesn't fit to me.

CAAD7R3000

by CAAD7R3000

I mean off the bike, not under your shorts! If I seen someone wearing undies under cycling shorts I would give them a wedgie.

Lardy

by Lardy

I have some major, crispy saddle sores at the moment under my "sit bones" after a 24hr race with my set saddle too high too avoid mid race traumatic knee pain. Nappy/diaper rash cream (sudacrem in UK) is REALLY good.
I'd send a picture in, but don't want to be banned :P

seriousconsult

by seriousconsult

I smear chamois cream into my shorts before a ride. Lots of it. I think this helps. Give it a try if you don't already.

Dougan

by Dougan

Forget about smearing cream into your shorts, have a look at this

http://www.crotchguard.com/

Not the best name in the world but this stuff works. I believe it was developed for amputees to stop sores and problems developing from rubbing on the prosthetic limb.

I tried it last year and no problems since. Its difficult to get hold of in the UK but Dermatec were very good and shipped me a couple of bottles over.

hope this helps

Lardy

by Lardy

I 2nd the chamois cream. Assos is my favourite.
There are some other amputee specific creams which may be eminently suitable and available in the uk- If anyone is interested I'll get the names.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Surgical spirit. Clean area with surgical spirit before applying the cream, wear shorts (fresh ones every ride) shower, soap and re-clean area with surgical spirit post ride. Do not linger in your shorts. In no social situations is lycra a good idea anyway!

If sores are really bad, apply assos cream when not riding too. Nappy rash cream also works well overnight.

Oh, and apply cream out of sight of wife / girlfriend. Trust me on that.

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

I developed one really bad saddle sore after the Tour of the Gila a few years back. My coach at the time told me NOT to pop it. Instead I just put neosporin (antibiotic cream) on it, and after a day or so, it "released" on its own. Another day of neosporin and done.

I always ride with chammy cream now. :oops:

rockymtnway

by rockymtnway

I'm battling one of my own right now with just two weeks to go to a 24 hour duo. :roll: I use Noxema face cleanser/make up remover after every ride and let it sit for at least 5-10 minutes. It generally works, but after a three hour mtb ride Friday, a century Saturday and another short ride Sunday, I'm definitely suffering this week.
2001 Bianchi SL-2 Reparto Corse
2006 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70
2006 Scott Genius RC-LTD
2007 Rocky Mountain Element 70

sherwood

by sherwood

ROCKYMTNWAY - good luck on your 24hr!
2 weeks of will be better for you with rehards to the sores than riding for 24hr and having to be operated on afterwards!

I have ordered some of the limb oil stuff.

Andrew
I try to forget so I dont know too much

mxfox

by mxfox

zinc oxide ointment has worked very well for me, in fact I think I'll go get some now.

nouseforaname

by nouseforaname

bag balm

weightwennywood

by weightwennywood

For friends who always complain about "riding the butt hurts", in addition to changing the comfortable seat cushion, the best way is to wear a pair of suitable cycling pants.

Generally speaking, cycling pants are tight-fitting, and a layer of sponge pad is sewn on the crotch. In addition to absorbing sweat and reducing wind resistance, it also reduces hip damage and improves riding comfort.

The material of the cycling pants is easy to export the sweat from the body to the outside, keeping the skin dry. The inner thigh of the cycling pants and the part of the material in contact with the seat bag are relatively special, which can avoid friction between the top tube and the inner thigh when bending.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com