muscle cramps: how to avoid them?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bobalou

by bobalou

I cramped up on an early season hard ride a couple weeks ago. It
was near the end of the club ride which was a typical sand-bag fest
with the sandbaggers pushing the pace. I guess about the 45 mile
mark. I had to ease off and remembered I should have been
drinking more even though I wasn't thirsty.

Anyway, I've got some of my own ideas on avoiding cramps.. the
obvious is drink, drink. But once you get them any ideas on what
works to get rid of them? I've heard "biting your upper lip" and
eating an antacid tablet! .. but haven't tried anything yet. Anyone
ever had problems with them and if so, what did you do that helped?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

cramping occures when a high level of lactic acid is in your muscles. Your body's ability to remove the lactic acid is working at its top, and still there is comming more into your muscles.

The only way i know to get your body to take care of the acid better is to specifically train on it.
Get in a very heavy gear, and mash it in a very low heart rate. This way lots of lactic acids are build up, and your body has to deal with it. The more you do this exercize the better. 2 times a week, 3 times 10 minutes with 5 minutes in between.

Good luck!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cyco

by Cyco

The latest research I have read on cramping indicates it is more a fluid/electrolite imbalance problem than a lactic acid build-up issue.

It can be caused by a miss-firing/incorect nerve feedback that fails to allow the nerve to release, or possibily the body trying to prevent you from hurting it.

If I am going to be riding in conditions where I am likely to cramp I find taking a quarter of a Quinate tablet prevents the onset of the cramp.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

spytech

by spytech

when i started riding i got them very often, i dont get them anymore, but sometimes it feels like i am and i have slow down. what would be the best advice to avoid them?

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Haha I had a party last night and this morning I woke up with a terrible cramp in my calve :cry:

It might very well be cause by fluid / mineral imbalance..... beer sucks :twisted:
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

bobalou

by bobalou

Thanks for the feedback.. Frankie and Cyco, I think you're both right. Training and electrolite imbalance are big factors. My girlfriends brother is a medical technician and I recently asked him about this. His quick answer was "potassium". He said an antacid tablet will help but choose one that has lots of potassium. I have tested this out (on just one ride!) this past weekend, pushed hard on a long ride with hills.. no cramps, but I also drank OFTEN. My legs felt stronger then usual, but maybe it was partly the placebo effect. I'm going to be paying more attention to this this season.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I beleive bananas contain a good amount of potasium.

Brian

spytech

by spytech

yes i have heard this also about potassium. i think im gonna go bananas :lol:

bobalou

by bobalou

A potato has almost twice the potassium as a banana.. esp. if you keep the skin on. Not sure I want to haul a potato around on a ride :lol:

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/19990412.html

spytech

by spytech

bobalou wrote:Not sure I want to haul a potato around on a ride :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nah, but i can have a banana or two 30 mins before a ride, with plenty of fluids, i will try this.

maybe they have patassium pills, i can take one before i goto bed (i hate cramps while im in the bed), and in the morning when i go riding.

bobalou

by bobalou

spytech wrote:
bobalou wrote:Not sure I want to haul a potato around on a ride :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nah, but i can have a banana or two 30 mins before a ride, with plenty of fluids, i will try this.

maybe they have patassium pills, i can take one before i goto bed (i hate cramps while im in the bed), and in the morning when i go riding.

You can buy potassium iodide pills from leaf muncher stores but not sure it's worth the cost. I got some Tums at the store.. but look at the labels. Tums makes about 5 different versions. The Tums "long lasting" lists potassium (some sort of alkalide) as a key ingredient. .. and actually I'm going to eat banannas before starting out but am considering cooking up some potato skins for the longer rides.

Marlboro Man

by Marlboro Man

Okay, I know this accountant who complained of cramps in races because the clutch pedal of his BMW was so heavy.

I couldn't stop laughing either.......

He said he used magnesium phosphate. A few tiny pills that dissolve easily should do the trick. Tried it myself and it seems to help in that I didn't suffer from so many cramps. :D

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I heard Magnesium and Potasium work together in the muscle and that a lack of either would create cramping.

Brian

rohaimie

by rohaimie

hi,Does medicated oil or plaster really works? Esp for cramp after a hard climbing or race??
italian bikes rules!

bobalou

by bobalou

rohaimie wrote:hi,Does medicated oil or plaster really works? Esp for cramp after a hard climbing or race??

I'd be surprised if it did but .. a massage definitly will help, that and good stretching before and after.

I'm keeping a log on this because I've cramped up more this year then any other. I think it's because I'm pushing harder then ever and going anarobic. Once you deplete the glycogen in the muscles then cramping can occur. I think it will improve with training, but good recovery food (the sooner the better after a hard ride) and massage will help. Not sure about the oil thing. What oil you talking about anyway?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com