Groin/Adductor Strain

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Djakninn

by Djakninn

I decided to cross train this winter as I've done so much indoor training due to the pandemic I wanted to add something else to keep my interest levels up. I decided to start running again and over the last couple of months I had got through the initial niggle barrier.
I decided to run a 10k a week ago at a decent pace but noticed on the last 2k back a tightness in my right thigh. It didn't seem any worse than any other niggles I'd had previously so carried on regardless, however, upon finishing, within the following minute the pain in that front thigh grew and grew. I knew then something was well amiss and as time progressed I was hobbling around with every step giving me a jolt of pain. Over the next couple of days the pain subsided and I was able to pinpoint that I had strained/sprained my groin/adductor.
I'm currently working in a bubble in the desert so I have no access to any physio for at least another 5 weeks.
So, can anyone advise on anything that I can do to help it heal up in the meantime?
I can cycle on my rollers no problem without any discomfort, however there seems to be conflicting advice on this?

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Here's my uneducated WW 2 pennies.
I experienced something like this last winter (2019-2020), when joining a runner's team. I'm 53 BTW.
It got worst last september when I tried to get back to my usual training, coming back from a bad crash on my hip in a criterium.
Anyways, I went to see my usual kinesiologist. He told me my SI joint was totally stuck and I had to have that fixed. I went to see a chiro.
She did some heavy adjustments to my SI joint, but also noted that I had a "shortened" right psoas muscle. That "inner" manipulation is rather painful ( "pumping" the blocked psoas muscle that's located behind the lower guts). But along with the SI adjustments it helped get some mobility back to the hip region. I then went to see a "famous" ostheopath here, who usually treats only "official" athletes. Because of COVID she had room for "normal" patients. She also said my right "spasmed" psoas was the cause of the body malfunction and pains.

So, in short, if you don't have access to any PT, osthopath, kinsesiologist, first stop running for at least a week, then I suggest looking at some exercices to stretch the psoas, starting from the upper part, with breathing exercices that elevates the diaphragm, and increase the rib cage volume (sounds esotheric, but it's not, it works !!), and also lower psoas stretchs, on your back on a table with the "bad" leg hanging on the side, you take the opposite knee with both arms, let the stretched leg go down slowly, for 30-45 sec. The lower part of that muscle has three "branches" one is attached to the pelvis, and in my case it had me mix up the impression the pain was from adductor muscles. We cyclists have poor core muscles, we tend to bend forward when doing a stand up sport. So for me it's still a challenge to run without pain.
Oh ! And I also have a very tiny inguinal hernia that add to the pain in the groin when I run. BUt I don't feel anything wrong on the bike from the hernia. The doctors don't even bother with it. She (the surgeon) said to wait for it to get worst before addressing it.

LOuis :)

Djakninn

by Djakninn

Thanks Louis I'll try that stretch out for sure.
Were you fine cycling with your problems or did you have to cut that out too.
I did an hour of tempo yesterday and never felt it at all, so I'm hazarding a guess that if there's no pain it's fine to do?

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

LouisN

by LouisN

Yes, before my crash last august I never had any problems on the bike.
Generally speaking, if no pain you can continue cycling, but it won't address the issues with running. I'm still searching for a way to start running again, but pain comes back after a few minutes...Luckily I have cycling, my main activity :) .

Louis :)