School me on fueling pre, during and post ride..

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gSporco

by gSporco

Firts off my goal if anything would be to lose a little bit of fat. But for sake of this topic lets just talk about fueling baseline as in I want my body to have enough fuel to get the job done. My apologies if I am asking the wrong questions here as I am new to all the metrics of cycling and having just recently started using a PM I am tracking my numbers closely in an attempt to progress ( Indont race, just love cycling ). My goal is to do Dirty Kanza 200 in under 15 hours.

Okay so today:
Woke up had breakfast, water and coffee (500 calories 30% protein and 70% carbs)

Then, 1 hour full body lifting (no weight for legs just body weight squats)

Lunch was a protein shake and a meal and more water (1000 calories 30% protein and 70% carbs)

Rested for 2 hours and just drank water

Then 4 hour bike ride 60 miles/ 5500 feet of elevation (2565 kj total work and normalized, power 192) during ride I ate about 1100 calories of mostly carbs) and lots of water..

Post ride meal (1200 calories 20% protein and 80% carbs)

So total calories eaten for the day: 3800 calories. My PM told me I burned 2565 calories but I have no idea how much I burned for my 1 hour of light lifting in the morning.

Loaded question: did I eat enough? Too much too little? What am I doing wrong? FYI I usually never lift on cyling days and if I do its nonmore than n hour of cycling at Z2

Okay lay it on me :)
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

Need more info.
What is your height/weight/age?
Wht is your average weekly trainign volume?

gSporco

by gSporco

boots2000 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:49 pm
Need more info.
What is your height/weight/age?
Wht is your average weekly trainign volume?
5,7"
175lb

Lift 3 days a week
Cycle 3-4 days (100 miles) a week (sessions include 30 minute intervals, hill repeats, and 30-60 miles rides. Not sure if it makes a difference, but its never flat riding
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

TheRich

by TheRich

How has your weight been trending?

Initial guess would be that you'd probably feel better if you ate a little more or that unplanned snacking is making up the difference because that seems a little low. (and I do mean "a little")

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I know it's not your question, but you probably need to space your lifting and riding further apart - more like 6 hours+. Both activities will be sending different conflicting signals via AMPK (cycling) and mTor (lifting) pathways.

On the other hand, there is an article showing mitochondrial biogenesis can be increased by lifting immediately after riding.

gSporco

by gSporco

4ibanez wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:32 pm
I know it's not your question, but you probably need to space your lifting and riding further apart - more like 6 hours+. Both activities will be sending different conflicting signals via AMPK (cycling) and mTor (lifting) pathways.

On the other hand, there is an article showing mitochondrial biogenesis can be increased by lifting immediately after riding.
Yeah that day wasnt the norm. I usually have one Heavy day on Monday, then body weight Tuesday and lite weight Friday. Then I cycle Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

During the winter ill go back to 3 days strength and then 2-3 rides max with mixture of outdoor and indoor
Last edited by gSporco on Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

gSporco

by gSporco

Snacking maybe an issue and maybe why my weight stays flat
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

by Weenie