Training blocks advice

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

will5038

by will5038

Im preparing for a 200 mile endurance race in May 2021.

Im wondering what is best with regards training blocks ...

1) 1 x block of 29 weeks (consisting of 12 weeks base, 10 weeks build and 6 race and then my event) OR

2) 3 mini blocks of 12 weeks totalling 36 weeks (consisting of 4 x weeks of base, 4 x weeks of build and 4 x weeks of race completed three times)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fruitfly

by fruitfly

Where are you starting from? Are you fit now, but need to gain endurance? Or do you have to gain speed and endurance? What is the elevation change in the race, and how is it distributed?
Factor Ostro

will5038

by will5038

fruitfly wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:04 am
Where are you starting from? Are you fit now, but need to gain endurance? Or do you have to gain speed and endurance? What is the elevation change in the race, and how is it distributed?
Ive a good level of fitness. 5000 miles completed so far this year and I completed a VEveresting last month.

Id like to complete it within 14 hours and it has about 10000 ft elevation with most of that coming towards the middle of the race.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you're training for a 200mi 10000ft race/event, is there really even a huge difference between a base and build phase?

My basic advice is to do whatever has the higher cumulative TSS and will result in higher CTL prior to the event. Or do whatever you think will keep you more engaged.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

fruitfly

by fruitfly

What worked for me (66 years old, 1 year of cycling training) fortraining for starting in Feb for successful June attempts for Everesting and 10K roaming (10,000m, 400km, <36h) was polarized training. Long slow distance 4x a week. I included one or two sessions a week with climbing, working up from 1000m a day to 5400m over a two month period (April-May), with one day a week of intervals (8x4min, 4x8min).

Covid eliminated team racing training, racing, club rides. My training would have been different if I was racing, doing fondos, and high-intensity club rides. Nevertheless, I was surprised to find that when club rides resumed, I could now ride with the second fastest group in our club, whereas before I was struggling to hang on to the third fastest group. For me, I recovered better from long slow rides than multiple short hard rides.

It gives me something to think about for structuring next years training.
Factor Ostro