Opinions on Maurten nutricion

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

havana

by havana

I've been hearing a lot of stories about Maurten nutricion lately. It's high in carbs, which is not unique. It's quite expensive. Comes from Sweden I believe.

However Maurten say that because of the special recipe the body could absorbe more than the usual 60 gr/hour.

Marketing crap or true story? Opinions?
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

It has been said a lot of times that (average) body can absorb up to 90g CHO / hour by mixing glucose / fructose in 2:1 ratio - High5 marketed this already 10 years ago (this is what I remember, other brands like SiS etc probably have done so as well). So Maurten definitely aren't the first to claim their products do this.

I've also seen sports nutritionists talking that even 100+ g per hour is possible but this is highly individual and could even be trained to a certain extent.

Anyway, it doesn't look like Maurten is something unique. I know a couple of my friends (runners) though who claim that all other gels except Maurten give them GI issues.. but they're eating so average-stupid diets that I'm not surprised :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

The Maurten 320 is good for long events but I can't handle the flavor or consistency so I like to have a bottle of Skratch to get rid of the taste.
I got some friends into Maurten and they all use it for longer events too but I think it's overkill if you're not out there for 5+ hours. My friends really like the gels but I keep forgetting to order some so I have no comment.

Orbital

by Orbital

It’s defiantly easier on the stomach. I’ve even used the 160 for hockey games. It’s hard to find in Canada however. TheFeed won’t ship it here.

glepore

by glepore

https://www.outsideonline.com/2404405/m ... k-research

A good read. Myself, I'm fine with maltodextrin and something to flavor it.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

kode54

by kode54

I use the 160 versus the 320. I like their gels and have been using them for about a year. The 160 mix I use only on rides longer than 80 miles.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

DirtiousDirte

by DirtiousDirte

I tried the Maurten stuff and wasn't a huge fan. I didn't have any GI issues but typically don't with anything. It was the texture I couldn't stand. The taste was good but I generally like anything sweet.

Something that has worked quite well is corn starch - https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/hea ... our-rides/

I read the above article and decided to give it a shot. It has been terrific in terms of fueling. I slam a glass of it with some flavoured crystals before a ride and I have found myself feeling more consistent throughout my entire rides. The downside is if you make a bottle to take with you it does settle to the bottom of the bottle and shaking doesn't mix it up as much as you would think. However, one dose should last about 4 hours which is longer than most of my rides these days.

I also found with the corn starch that after a ride I wasn't as ravenous so I don't empty the fridge like I used to.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Not just mixing glucose and fructose, but also galactose and maltodextrin and so on. They all hit different receptors, but some of those metabolize very slowly so it's diminishing returns.

SiS has Beta Fuel, which is similar. I like the flavor and it tastes sweet thanks to artificial sweeteners. The mix takes forever to dissolve though, it loves to remain in big clumps... fill your bottles and let them dissolve overnight

Skratch now has Superfuel which uses complex starches and has more carbs/calories than Maurten or Beta Fuel. It's naturally flavored like all Skratch products, but also lacks any sort of sweetness. It dissolves significantly faster than Beta Fuel, but it's still best to fill the bottle halfway, add the powder, shake it up and fill it the rest of the way...then let it sit for a while.

tubbeg

by tubbeg

100% marketing hype with no evidence behind the product.
Studies show no benefits in carbohydrate uptake with hydrogel drink vs other brands.
Maurten Is not a bad sports drink, but definetly not anything special worth 2x the price.
They have made studies in Sweden financed by the company It self, but they will not be published due to "bad" results.

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... rate_alone

https://road.cc/content/news/268379-new ... al-cycling

https://www.peakendurancesport.com/nutr ... -athletes/

https://www.outsideonline.com/2404405/m ... k-research

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

I've been using the 320 on longer/harder rides lately, and have been pleased with it...but I'm guessing that it's simply due to the fact that I am taking in carbs (and a lot of them) regularly, instead of any groundbreaking science going on (which I never bought into)

Price wise, I don't think it's that expensive, comparatively speaking, as it's actually cheaper than other options:

I use Skratch hydro mix as my everyday drink mix, and that works out to $1 per serving/20g of carbs. In order to get the 80g of carbs that Maurten provides, I'd have to use 4 servings of Skratch, which costs more than a single serving of the 320. Plus 4 servings of Skratch in a single bottle just dose not taste good, and it's more sodium than I care for.

The other option is to take 2 gels/chews/bars per hour, on top of the 2 servings of Skratch per bottle, which ends up costing even more. And I always forget to eat that much per hour.