Needs a new trainer, my Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ just quit

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stockae92

by stockae92

My Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ trainer is finally toasted. It has a little over 3000 miles n Zwift only though. :(

Its making weird noises when the controlled power is changing and the power reading doesn't quite match the effort. The effort is high but the reading is low.

I am now in the market for a replacement trainer, any suggestion? Not looking for high end unit, but something more "reliable" would be nice.

Thanks.

Here's how the trainer sounds like now

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

IMO, the Wahoo KICKR Snap is the only wheel-on smart trainer worth considering at any price.

I highly recommend making the leap to a wheel-off / direct-drive trainer though. Something like an Elite Suito is a perfectly capable, accurate trainer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stockae92

by stockae92

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:14 am
IMO, the Wahoo KICKR Snap is the only wheel-on smart trainer worth considering at any price.

I highly recommend making the leap to a wheel-off / direct-drive trainer though. Something like an Elite Suito is a perfectly capable, accurate trainer.
Thanks for the recommendation.

One of my concern for more expensive trainer is the realiability.

I spent like $330 for the Elite and it lasted 3000 miles, I wouldn't want to $800 on a direct drive trainer and would only last (lets say double) 6000 miles.

3Pio

by 3Pio

stockae92 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:39 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

Thanks for the recommendation.

One of my concern for more expensive trainer is the realiability.

I spent like $330 for the Elite and it lasted 3000 miles, I wouldn't want to $800 on a direct drive trainer and would only last (lets say double) 6000 miles.
Consider Elite DiretoX as well (thanks TobinHatesYou changing my mind regarding DirectDrive trainer few months ago). I have it few months but, accruate compared to my Favero Assioma Duo. Maybe not most reliable trainer, but very easy to service ur self in 99% situations since two problems are happening on this trainer (and not that often)

1. Belt snapping problem ( Elite provide excellent support). But u can chane easy ur self (important to dont need to send the trainer back, also easy after warranty)

2. Motherboard (Again Elite provide excellent support), and easy to replace it...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have 800 hours on my CycleOps Hammer with no issues, so durability is specific to certain models/brands.

mrshifty

by mrshifty

Started with a tacx flow but after a few sessions my tire would constantly slip and eventually disrupted my workout. switched to a kickr core and have been using for about a year with zero issues. best decision ever.

otoman

by otoman

I have the Kickr first gen which I hear is the same as a Kickr Core these days. Super reliable, very happy with it. Have used it heavily for a few years now
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

gshb

by gshb

3Pio wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:34 pm
Consider Elite DiretoX as well (thanks TobinHatesYou changing my mind regarding DirectDrive trainer few months ago). I have it few months but, accruate compared to my Favero Assioma Duo. Maybe not most reliable trainer, but very easy to service ur self in 99% situations since two problems are happening on this trainer (and not that often)

1. Belt snapping problem ( Elite provide excellent support). But u can chane easy ur self (important to dont need to send the trainer back, also easy after warranty)

2. Motherboard (Again Elite provide excellent support), and easy to replace it...
Im wondering why you had to replace the motherboard? I have a Direto and changed a broken belt, but the power reading is now always 10-20% lower than before even after spending weeks calibrating, taking apart/putting it back together. Is it a bad motherboard that would need replacing?

saldegracia

by saldegracia

TobinHatesYou wrote:

At this point I would not recommend an Elite Suito. I bought one October 2019 and while it works it's a very decent trainer but mine soon started developing a very loud and annoying knocking noise (otherwise it still worked though). I sent a video to Elite Customer Service and they told me directly it was a case of warranty replacement. Some reading on the web reveals that I am far from alone in this respect. A large proportion of Suitos seems to suffer from similar problems, at least the first generations.

When I contacted the shop they said they could not replace it at this point in time because no Suitos were available anywhere and I should keep using it despite the knocking sound. Several months (!!!) later they contacted me and said I should send it in (at my expense of course) as it could now be replaced. I sent it and have now been without a trainer that I've paid a lot of money for, for weeks and no idea when I will get one, despite the warranty exchange being authorized months ago. Shop says distributor does not react to their requests one and there's nothing they can do. I contacted Elite directly and am still waiting for a reply. Not sure who exactly is at fault here (Elite, shop or local distributor) but something's not working right in Elite aftersales...

Edit: an hour after writing this I received an email from Elite saying they had gotten in touch with the Spanish distributors who will send a replacement asap. So, that definitely a positive...I'll believe it when I have the box in my hands but well done on Elite's part. Had I known I'd contacted them directly earlier instead of dealing with the local guys :)
Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Fuji Jari Carbon, Sensa Fermo SL, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

stockae92

by stockae92

I have to say Elite customer service was more than decent. Definitely better than some of the other brands.

3Pio

by 3Pio

gshb wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:54 pm
3Pio wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:34 pm

Im wondering why you had to replace the motherboard? I have a Direto and changed a broken belt, but the power reading is now always 10-20% lower than before even after spending weeks calibrating, taking apart/putting it back together. Is it a bad motherboard that would need replacing?
Sorry to slooow reply and beeing unclear.. I did not had any of those problems, i just read it around what can go wrong and how they solve the problem.. To knock in wood my DiretoX is fine except some vibration/noise (which for now i solved with more matt layers under the trainer)...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com