Wahoo kickr loosing resistance

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Have had my kickr for a couple of years running 100% trouble free. Today, did a 20 min warm up and about 2-3 min into the first interval it went to 0 resistance. I run it in erg mode, so it still read the wattage requirement but there was simply free spinning. No settings were touched at all or by mistake. Unplugged it for 1-2 min, plugged it back in, and worked nine until about 15 min later when it did the same. Same procedure and back to work. Then 5-6 min later back at the same, at which point I gave up. No sounds, no grinding or any other signs prior to or ever!!

Any ideas?? Will call wahoo Monday am, but just curious as to what you think it is and if anyone else has had the same issue??

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Shots in the dark: Have you tried it with other apps controlling the KICKR? Tried switching between ANT+ and BT? What happens if you leave it in another mode like slope mode?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

TobinHatesYou wrote:Shots in the dark: Have you tried it with other apps controlling the KICKR? Tried switching between ANT+ and BT? What happens if you leave it in another mode like slope mode?
No, I haven’t tried anything else. It has been working flawless for 2+ years using Trainer Road. Sync to same phone and everything. Nothing has changed at all.

Anyone has had something similar???

skidrrr

by skidrrr

dgasmd wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:42 am
I have first KICKR '14 version and also do TR on it. This is my 3rd year which totals about 600h of work and no issues so far
Could you please keep this post updated in case someone ends up facing the same situation. Thanks!

glepore

by glepore

Optical sensor issue? They can get dirty (see wahoo support page) or be "blinded" by sunlight https://forums.zwift.com/t/kickr-reads- ... ght/2064/5 ?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

dgasmd

by dgasmd

glepore wrote:Optical sensor issue? They can get dirty (see wahoo support page) or be "blinded" by sunlight https://forums.zwift.com/t/kickr-reads- ... ght/2064/5 ?
Thanks for the link above. I’ve had the trainer in the same spot for 4 months now. Ride it during daytime and evenings. Will troubleshoot some today and see what happens.

hendrik

by hendrik

I have the same issue during an Indievelo ride. Wahoo told me that it is an issue with the temperature reading. They told me a way to do a factory spindown. It didn't help. So the thermistor inside might be broken. But of course they won't tell me which thermistor I need to replace it with (there are endless possibilities). I opened my unit (nice chance to also service the bearings) and everything looked fine. I unplugged the temperature sensor and tested the kickr without. The problem is exactly the same when I remove the temperature sensor, so I assume that indeed that is the problem. The kickr acts pretty much as if the temperature sensor is not connected. Some people suggested scraping off the resin around the thermistor. That seems to be the most promising route so far unless someone with a working thermistor in hand can run 5 minutes of tests on it.

Here are a few links that I used to open the kickr:
https://www.unsponsored.co.uk/press/wah ... ley-wheel/
https://2fuuan.com/2021/12/28/kickrcore-noise/
Removing the pulley wheel without damaging it is the most difficult. Even a screwdriver can damage it! Use plastic tools only. Wahoo has smeared loctite all over the inside so you may need a heat gun, too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com