Double post, double topics

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
nickf

by nickf

I have noticed a lot of multiple replies, double topics post, sometimes even more. I have done it myself. When you hit submit, the browser has no feedback to show that you reply has been sent. You just have to wait it out. If you press it again looking for some sort of feedback you end up double posting. Can there be a status bar animation or something when you hit the submit button.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

nickf wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:00 am
When you hit submit, the browser has no feedback to show that you reply has been sent. You just have to wait it out. If you press it again looking for some sort of feedback you end up double posting.
What browser are you using? Actually, there is feedback, but you might not treat it as such. For example, in the desktop Chrome the "Reload" button changes to "Cancel" and the tab icon changes to a spinner. This means a request is in progress. Pressing "Submit" again initiates a request with the same payload (message or thread text) again, hence the double and triple posts. I guess if you know how HTTP works, this doesn't become an issue (except for long post submission time), but yeah, I have to implement workarounds for this in my projects too (usually, disabling a button until the response arrives is enough).

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Happens to me all the time.

Just now in fact.

Plus there is no delete post/delete topic option for some reason.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

It's likely a phpBB issue and in order to diagnose we need the owner who has access to the server.

All us mods are pretty powerless to help.We def see the problem like you, esp given the fact that each of us need to delete 5 doubles a day minimum.

Like retail employees, "We just work here, plz talk to my manager" (but u can't call it work because we doin it for free)

Anyway, I'm poking around to see who owns the keys to the house. Thanks for bubbling it up. Ya it's v annoying for all of us.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

ok

the Powers that Be have looked into it

hopefully it's better now, but we'll need to continue monitoring to ensure it does not reproduce

thank you nickf for bringing this up

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

gdi that post still took 5 seconds

BRB

nmx

by nmx

maxim809 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:49 pm
It's likely a phpBB issue
Yes absolutely.

One of the bugfixing problems is that the issue occurs - when I try from our computers at our location - only on 1 of 3 attempts. Do you encounter a bigger ratio?

At this time we do not exactly know what the problem is. Indeed we do also have some problems with server hardware but until now it was not possible to get a solution in cooperation with the web hosting company...

nmx

by nmx

Do you have same issue using Tapatalk?

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Don't use Tapatalk. Server feels snappier.

We can use this to corral new cases related to double posting going forward.

Thanks for looking into this nmx.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

nmx wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:49 pm
maxim809 wrote:
One of the bugfixing problems is that the issue occurs - when I try from our computers at our location - only on 1 of 3 attempts. Do you encounter a bigger ratio?
Okay so maybe a little bit less ratio than before but people are still Double Posting. if phpBB has some way to lock the [Submit] button after it's been clicked once... that'd be grand.

Trigger happy people and clicking it twice as there is nothing stopping them right now.

nmx

by nmx

maxim809 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 6:12 am
nmx wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:49 pm
maxim809 wrote:
Okay so maybe a little bit less ratio than before but people are still Double Posting. if phpBB has some way to lock the [Submit] button after it's been clicked once... that'd be grand.

Trigger happy people and clicking it twice as there is nothing stopping them right now.
Now there is a visual context that the posting was submitted as to disable the button would require some more customization. Please check wether this is enough for avoiding the double-posting issue.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

nmx wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:22 am
Now there is a visual context that the posting was submitted as to disable the button would require some more customization. Please check wether this is enough for avoiding the double-posting issue.
Disabling the [Submit] button after it's been clicked once will drastically reduce the frequency of double-posting. A visual context alone WITHOUT locking the button would not be enough. However, a visual + lock would be the best way to provide to the user feedback + enforcing no secondary clicks to go thru. My take is it's impatient users clicking twice because it still takes ~5 seconds for a Submit post to go thru.

I bet these impatient users are the type to get their credit cards double charged when ordering stuff online when the order form explicitly states DO NOT CLICK TWICE. :)

Many ordering forms Lock/Disable the 'submit order' button for this very reason. Tho not all do.

For your 2nd request, I have no way of checking this myself. But I am hoping this proposal makes enough intuitive sense that a full viability investigation is not needed.

Lina

by Lina

maxim809 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:27 am
nmx wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:22 am
I bet these impatient users are the type to get their credit cards double charged when ordering stuff online when the order form explicitly states DO NOT CLICK TWICE. :)

Many ordering forms Lock/Disable the 'submit order' button for this very reason. Tho not all do.
If you're dealing with money and your order form doesn't catch and prevent multiple submissions on the back end while validating the data it's not the users fault. It's your incompetence and you shouldn't be handling customer money and/or credit card information in your computers systems at all.

Even in application where you're not dealing with money or something else that's critical do not blame the users for your mistakes. People who're not that familiar with computers WILL click the submit button multiple times if it seems like nothing is happening. No they won't realize that the browser is doing something even when there are visible cues for it. It's not their fault you can't validate your inputs properly. God knows what else you're not doing properly.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Lina wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 am
It's your incompetence
Hi Lina, no need to have worded it this way.

If you look closely, I am actually making a case for having this implemented correctly and I am actually with you.

If the tone didn't come thru because #internet, well... think twice, post once?

Or was it think once, post double? Internet is hard!

Lina

by Lina

maxim809 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 5:24 pm
Lina wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 am
It's your incompetence
Hi Lina, no need to have worded it this way.

If you look closely, I am actually making a case for having this implemented correctly and I am actually with you.

If the tone didn't come thru because #internet, well... think twice, post once?

Or was it think once, post double? Internet is hard!
The entire post is using generic you. So i'm not attacking you or anyone else personally. I agree with you on everything except blaming the user. There are many cases where the user is to blame but this isn't one of those cases. Validating your inputs is one of the first things they teach you, this includes checking for double submissions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com