Single Ring Setups and Chainline???

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

wilmar13

by wilmar13

I did search but couldn't find anything specific with regards to chainline...

So are most guys running the ring on the inner position and keeping the 41ish mm chainline, or are you shimming the BB out to get like a 43-44mm to have the ring centered to minimize cross-chaining at both extremes?

I have been riding road with a single ring, but it has been with a 53 in the outer position(~46mm chainline) and a 23-13 cassette with only 8 speeds on 10 speed cluster; the two inner gears are deleted and the derailleur stop is adjusted accordingly... it works well for road riding, but for Cx I would prefer access to the whole range. Cross chaining at the extreme is really hard on things, especially if you are a larger, powerful rider.

I am curious if most people with just set it so that you are rarely in farthest 2 cogs, or you try to split the difference down the middle.

cerro

by cerro

I have mine 42t on the inner side of the crank. On the outer I have an bash. Worked very well last season.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilmar13

by wilmar13

cerro wrote:I have mine 42t on the inner side of the crank. On the outer I have an bash. Worked very well last season.

And you didn’t adjust your chain-line correct? Any problems when running to the extreme outside? Did you notice any more wear on the chain, cassette, etc. with the higher chain tension (a smaller chainring creates) and cross chaining?

cerro

by cerro

nope, all my 10 gears work well. Haven't thought of wear anything, only have Shimano 105 or Sram Rival things on the bike so nothing really light.

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

Without hijacking the thread, can anyone tell me if there is a manufacturer who makes chainring guards for a 110 BCD crank?

I need to get some guides for my son's trailer bike after customising it to have shorter cranks but it has some issues with the chain derailing. I know some is likely due to chain line especially with the small wheels but I think the guards will help.

If someone can post some links up or send me a PM with some , I wil be very grateful.
"I love a sunburnt country, its sweeping hills and plains. Where the red earth meets the blue sky and it never bloody rains".
Doc Neeson - The Angels (Skin and Bone).

availpunk9

by availpunk9

I have two guards from here:

http://www.bbgbashguard.com/

They are fairly light and priced just right.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

I'm running a 42 on the inner position (with wetzikon guard on the outside and deda dog fang on the inside). No problem with chainline and I've had this setup for a while now. It's Campy Chorus 10 by the way.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

I did make this for a cyclocrosser, 23 grams as is.

EP42T-5-110-CG-23GR.jpg

If anyone is interested, contact me at mattias @ hellore.se
Experimental Prototype

Vik61

by Vik61

Another one question.
Two cranksets - Shimano GRX 810 1x and Ultegra R8000 with QuestPass ring 1x.
The Chainlines according to Shimano:
GRX: 49.7mm
Ultegra: 44.5mm (measured in between the rings) => 46.5mm probably with QuestPass at outer ring
Which one have the best chainline at real life troths cassette center at gravel bike with 142mm rear hub?
Looks like GRX is specific 1x crankset and R8000 not...
Canyon Grizl
Trek Supercaliber

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stalkersk

by stalkersk

Grx is 2x chainset, there are holes for small chainring even on 1x version. They added extra 2.5mm of offset for it.