Race Tyres - Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M 45 vs Schwalbe G One R 40mm

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

la85

by la85

Hey all,

Whats everyones thoughts on the above?

Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M 45mm - Stack up well with rolling resistance however feel sluggish and heavy.

Schwalbe G One R 40mm - Feel fast, grip well, 100g lighter per tyre, not sure about puncture resistance but seem good.

Open to any opinioons on the above for a 100km gravel race with approx 2600m of climbing - mix of smooth gravel roads to large rocky decents and everything inbetween. Schwalbes feel quicker on the climbs and flats.... Pirelli give confidence on the decents but feel slow to climb and slower on the flats even though they have a lower RR.

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

repoman

by repoman

I have Cinturato Gravel H 50mm, same casing as the M but less aggro tread. I really do not like these tires, very uncomfortable and they feel very sluggish in rolling resistance.

I took them off and put on some Challenge Getaway Pro HTLR in 40mm and they are amazing. Super comfortable, roll super fast, especially for a tire that has a somewhat medium aggro tread pattern.
I don't like Schwalbes, I've always thought they rode uncomfortable and something about their rubber makes them feel like you're on ice if you encounter rain on pavement (at least for their road tires). They are super expensive in the US too.

bmCube

by bmCube

Same as above here: My allround favourite tires are the challenge getaway: super fast, comfortable and are nice round, not a square edge. I use them even in moderate muddy conditions......

DouglasDDX

by DouglasDDX

Imo Pirelli M are overrated. Very uncomfortable but durable, less grippy than I expected. The feeling of rolling resistance is better than expected on asphalt but worse on gravel.

I have had quite good success with Tufo. Both Thundero and Swampero.
Or Conti Terra Speed, which doesn't last very long but gives me great confidence in corners and feels fast.

I'm going to try Schwalbe RS next

London9921

by London9921

I've used the specialized Pathfinders (38mm, could definitely go to the bigger size!) and currently Maxxis Ramblers in 45mm. I love the Ramblers!

The pathfinders are super nimble and fast. Although you've described the surfaces its tricky to decode exactly. Friends of mine had some punctures with their Schwalbes but that might be very anecdotal 'evidence'.

jff

by jff

From me and my surroundings findings:
- Pirelli is indeed not the fasted tire around, I'm personally not a fan of the compound since the grip and rolling resistance are not the best. The positive is they are rock solid.
- Schwalbe RS one: the fasted tire for gravel concerning rolling resistance, but a bit more prone to punctures. It has an amazing amount of grip.
- Patfinder has more rolling resistance than a Schwalbe but a bit more puncture resistance.

My suggestion: go for Schwalbe RS one in 45mm. You will still have a very fast tire and the 45mm will decrease the risk of punctures.

RoadDonk82

by RoadDonk82

Another one for Pirelli being terrible. I've used Cinturato H and they were by far the worst tires I've ever ridden: hard, no grip off-road and not that fast. I've slipped a few times in places I wouldn't even be approaching limit of grip normally and it made me feel afraid and sucked the joy of riding off-road. I used Pathfinders, Contis Terra Speed, Schwalbe G-One, Donelly X'Plor before and they were all way better in all respects even though they were all narrower.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Vittoria Mezcal in 44mm for me. With the wet weather in the UK this year even summer gravel tyres need to deal with mud. They've got great grip on all surfaces, roll well and I haven't had a puncture yet with them.

They're the closest thing I've found to a good all year round tyre.

la85

by la85

What's everyone's thoughts on rolling resistance affected by rear and front tyres? A larger percent of weight is on the rear... which therefore deforms more.

How would a Cinturato 45 M on the front go with a g one r 40mm on the rear go do you think?

warthog101

by warthog101

CampagYOLO wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:32 am
Vittoria Mezcal in 44mm for me. With the wet weather in the UK this year even summer gravel tyres need to deal with mud. They've got great grip on all surfaces, roll well and I haven't had a puncture yet with them.

They're the closest thing I've found to a good all year round tyre.
Hadn't considered them, they look alright on BRR, but so do Tufo and they were very fragile. May give them a try though, thanks. :)

RoadDonk82

by RoadDonk82

How would a Cinturato 45 M on the front go with a g one r 40mm on the rear go do you think?
The main issue with Cinturatos is that they don't grip. Putting one on the front is asking for trouble imo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com