Mondo 35 vs a Pathfinder 38

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Potentially building up an S Works Roubaix... this will be for longer rides, looking at probably a 50/50 mix of roads and gravel...
Ive narrowed it down to either going with Pathfinder 38mm , or Mondo 32 or 35s...
Gravel wise, if you look at the silca gravel cats, Id say worst case id Id be a Cat 2 around where I am, but it could get kind sandy loose if they just put it down, but in all honesty if it got that squirrly with Mondos, Id just not venture down that section of road and take the next one... where I live, they rarely dump fresh gravel... itll be down to worn tracks in no time... The roads though are subject to wicked depressions.. like it looks like someone dropped a cart full of bowling balls from a hundred feet up and get those depressions 4-6 inches deep for stretches...

Putting Ekar on it, wheel wise, either doing Shamal if I stick to Mondos, or Levantes if I go with the pathfinders...

Getting old now.. ye old back just cant handle the long beatings on the Venge or SL8 the way it used to be able to LOL Those are pure race bikes.. this will be the long range training bike and the ability to hit different roads (gravel in particular) for some different rides..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Minirac

by Minirac

Get 2 wheels if you can and go: 1. mondo 32 tubeless 2. pathfinder 38 if not, go on only pathfinder on wide rims

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Minirac wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:20 pm
Get 2 wheels if you can and go: 1. mondo 32 tubeless 2. pathfinder 38 if not, go on only pathfinder on wide rims
Was thinking the same... Figure Ill start with the 38mm pathfinders on the Levantes, and over winter get a set of Shamals and mount up the 32mm Mondo
There's no consistency with gravel around here.. one day you go out and its bare, and the next day its mounds of soft sandy gravel...