New Aspero???

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

magnusss

by magnusss

Weltverloren wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:49 am
Huh...so 5mm longer chainstays for 2mm more tire clearance and 46t chainring clearance and semi-integrated cables for the regular (non-5) Aspero...and that's pretty much it, no?
No storage solutions, no aero upgrades, no significant weightsavings, no smartly integrated accessoires (like Canyon's aero clip-in bag)...

I find this quite disappointing given all the other options released for gravel racers since the Aspero came out originally. : (
Haven’t seen the YT-video, but from the Instavideo posted earlier it looks like the bike has threaded BB and UDH? Definitly the two most important updates they could have made, but yes a little dissapointing when comparing to the Stigmata. The Canyon has Pressfit BB so that bike is not an option anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

magnusss wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:01 pm
Weltverloren wrote:
Huh...so 5mm longer chainstays for 2mm more tire clearance and 46t chainring clearance and semi-integrated cables for the regular (non-5) Aspero...and that's pretty much it, no?
No storage solutions, no aero upgrades, no significant weightsavings, no smartly integrated accessoires (like Canyon's aero clip-in bag)...

I find this quite disappointing given all the other options released for gravel racers since the Aspero came out originally. : (
Haven’t seen the YT-video, but from the Instavideo posted earlier it looks like the bike has threaded BB and UDH? Definitly the two most important updates they could have made, but yes a little dissapointing when comparing to the Stigmata. The Canyon has Pressfit BB so that bike is not an option anyway.
Threaded BB is nice but is the UDH that big of an update? I guess it’s nice to have an easier to find hanger now. And nice for people who run SRAM but for anybody on Shimano it’s nothing special. I would have much rather had some kind of downtube storage. That almost seems like a must have these days for gravel bikes. Huge miss in my opinion. Weight savings would have been nice too. It’s not a terrible update overall but I think I’d rather pick up the older model on discount. I was hoping to find a racier upgrade for my Crux but this doesn’t really excite me.

jayjay

by jayjay

BikeTyson wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:03 pm
I would have much rather had some kind of downtube storage. That almost seems like a must have these days for gravel bikes. Huge miss in my opinion.
I think so too, but the marketing claim from Cervelo for the "original" Aspero was "HAUL ASS, NOT CARGO"

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

jayjay wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:07 pm
BikeTyson wrote:
I would have much rather had some kind of downtube storage. That almost seems like a must have these days for gravel bikes. Huge miss in my opinion.
I think so too, but the marketing claim from Cervelo for the "original" Aspero was "HAUL ASS, NOT CARGO"
True. I still think it’s must nowadays. It’s kind of a funny thing. You think, it’s a race bike, you don’t want the extra weight. But then you think, well if I’m doing a 200 mile race like Unbound, you want that storage for tools or a flat kit, or to stuff a jacket in. Then you free up jersey space for food. And it maintains the aero part unlike bar bags.

The extra tire clearance is nice mainly because I use 2x so fitting 40s easily is a plus.

voicycle

by voicycle

BikeTyson wrote:
is the UDH that big of an update?
Yes, but probably more in terms of futureproofing than functionality. Sure it's not necessary for anything except SRAM T-type right now, but I can't imagine many groupsets released after 2024 will escape the UDH takeover. Sure Shimano might decide to make their own hardware rather than join the UDH train, but if all new frame dropouts are going to UDH then they're going to have to optimise for that spec themselves or they'll be left behind.

Maybe there will be competing hardware standards for the same frame dropout specs, but I can't see truly proprietary dropout designs surviving any product development process that wasn't already past the point of no return by the start of this calendar year.

heknudsen

by heknudsen

Any other info on it? Doesn't seem to be out yet on the cervelo website. Dissapointed that they didn't add downtube storage. I'm assuming they went to threaded BB?

chmiel

by chmiel

heknudsen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:05 pm
Any other info on it? Doesn't seem to be out yet on the cervelo website. Dissapointed that they didn't add downtube storage. I'm assuming they went to threaded BB?
Announcement is tomorrow Apr 30

Woland

by Woland

I assume there's a low stack version of the dust cap, similar to the Soloist. What's the height of that?

Woland

by Woland

Weltverloren wrote:
4mm more tire clearance, actually.

bezel

by bezel

the new aspero seems to be this one:

https://velo.outsideonline.com/gravel/g ... -aspero-2/

kervelo

by kervelo

bezel wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:42 am
the new aspero seems to be this one:

https://velo.outsideonline.com/gravel/g ... -aspero-2/
The fully built bike comes with custom Reserve wheels that have Zipp hubs instead of Dt Swiss. That must be a cost cutting change.

Some Aspero 23/24 models have Reserve 40|44 wheels: I wonder what hubs they have used in those models?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BikeTyson wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:17 pm

True. I still think it’s must nowadays. It’s kind of a funny thing. You think, it’s a race bike, you don’t want the extra weight. But then you think, well if I’m doing a 200 mile race like Unbound, you want that storage for tools or a flat kit, or to stuff a jacket in. Then you free up jersey space for food. And it maintains the aero part unlike bar bags.

The extra tire clearance is nice mainly because I use 2x so fitting 40s easily is a plus.

If you're taking Unbound seriously, then you want fast access to DynaPlugs. Almost everything will be mounted externally in tear-away fashion.

BikeTyson

by BikeTyson

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:50 am
BikeTyson wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:17 pm

If you're taking Unbound seriously, then you want fast access to DynaPlugs. Almost everything will be mounted externally in tear-away fashion.
Lol. The extra 30 seconds to grab something from the downtube isn't going to change my day on the bike. 90% of people doing gravel races don't need to have things ready to pull off the frame. And saying that you're not taking it seriously unless you have stuff prepped like that is just silly. Not to mention you can have downtube storage and still tape plugs to your frame. One doesn't preclude the other.

UltraXC

by UltraXC

Different strokes! It doesn't sound like the Àspero is your kind of ride. It's a good thing we aren't getting bikes that a carbon copies of everything else out there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

Barely an update. Tire clearance increase worse than expected.

Guess they didn't want to go to the expense of new molds and just remilled the old ones as far as possible.