New Aspero???

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

RDY wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:56 pm
Barely an update. Tire clearance increase worse than expected.

Guess they didn't want to go to the expense of new molds and just remilled the old ones as far as possible.
The original Aspero was and still is a really good bike, I don't think anything radical was ever going to happen with the new model.
In terms of tyre clearance, given the use for this bike 44mm is plenty IMO. An Aspero was never a great choice for more rough and tumble off road riding anyway where you may want larger tyres.

The increased chainring capacity along with the switchable dropout makes the new Aspero a viable choice for someone who only wants 1 bike as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BikeTyson wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:18 am

Lol. The extra 30 seconds to grab something from the downtube isn't going to change my day on the bike. 90% of people doing gravel races don't need to have things ready to pull off the frame. And saying that you're not taking it seriously unless you have stuff prepped like that is just silly. Not to mention you can have downtube storage and still tape plugs to your frame. One doesn't preclude the other.

DT storage systems add considerable weight. The Aspero is marketed as a gravel race bike. The customer you describe can get a Checkpoint, MOG or Stigmata instead.

JWTS

by JWTS

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:43 pm

DT storage systems add considerable weight. The Aspero is marketed as a gravel race bike. The customer you describe can get a Checkpoint, MOG or Stigmata instead.
They really don't need to add that much weight. The do add a good complexity to the production, though. You could do it at a cost of less than 50-70 grams, IMO. The Grail is ~900 gram range w/downtube storage.

Personally, I agree with those who say this is an oversight, but from a production standpoint I also understand why they didn't do it.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

JWTS wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:29 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

They really don't need to add that much weight. The do add a good complexity to the production, though. You could do it at a cost of less than 50-70 grams, IMO. The Grail is ~900 gram range w/downtube storage.

Personally, I agree with those who say this is an oversight, but from a production standpoint I also understand why they didn't do it.
Yeah honestly it'll about 70-100g once the door mechanism and seals are accounted for, however not only does the downtube storage add convenience for tools/spares it also helps with installation since you can secure and route the cables with that access area

That being said the Aspero is already a somewhat chunky carbon frame, and there's no mention of weight savings. IIRC somewhere in yhe region of 1200g, which is on the heavy end compared to other "racy" gravel frames.

Definitely see this as a strategic move on Cervelos part. See how much consumer interest is still there for gravel offerings while gauging how other bikes form competitors sell, then adjust their next release accordingly. The margin on these is probably very high since they didn't have to adjust the molds or do a ton more layup R&D so they can get away with selling less.

Glad they went with the T47a, even with it being somewhat proprietary at least it'll help with install, alignment and replacement ease.

robeambro

by robeambro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
BikeTyson wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:18 am

Lol. The extra 30 seconds to grab something from the downtube isn't going to change my day on the bike. 90% of people doing gravel races don't need to have things ready to pull off the frame. And saying that you're not taking it seriously unless you have stuff prepped like that is just silly. Not to mention you can have downtube storage and still tape plugs to your frame. One doesn't preclude the other.

So is the new Grail though, and it comes with it. One could say that if you're an uncompromising racer you're anyway going to be looking at the Aspero-5 which should be lighter / faster, so - also considering that Cervelo has no other gravel model, unlike many brands who do (e.g. Grizl to Grail, Urs to Kaius, Diverge to Crux, etc) - why not drop some of the racey DNA and add some differentiation? As things currently stand, there's hardly going to be much differentiating the Aspero and the Aspero-5..

(For reference, I like the bike and I would have purchased it had it come out last year - I just don't see how it's the best choice commercially for Cervelo)

JWTS

by JWTS

yinzerniner wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 5:21 pm

Definitely see this as a strategic move on Cervelos part. See how much consumer interest is still there for gravel offerings while gauging how other bikes form competitors sell, then adjust their next release accordingly. The margin on these is probably very high since they didn't have to adjust the molds or do a ton more layup R&D so they can get away with selling less.

Glad they went with the T47a, even with it being somewhat proprietary at least it'll help with install, alignment and replacement ease.
These certainly look like novel molds to me, and certainly outside of the shop of remilling an old mold (which is pretty rare, actually). So, this doesn't look like a transitory model, IMO

jch3n

by jch3n

Assuming that at least the front triangle is monocoque construction, the shorter seattube, T47a bottom bracket, slimmer downtube, and lowered seat stays (?) would almost certainly be new molds. I don't get how anyone is suggesting they're just reusing the previous molds...

Stueys

by Stueys

Think cervelo are victims of their own success, they nailed it with the original version. Threaded bottom bracket and a bit more tyre clearance are all that was needed really.