Reserve 40/44 GR wheels

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

kervelo
Posts: 936
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:58 am
Location: Finland

by kervelo

New 40/44 GR wheels from Reserve: wider and lighter than before.

https://reservewheels.com/en-eur/produc ... 4575744181

Edit:
Review by Bikerumor https://bikerumor.com/reserve-40-44-car ... el-wheels/

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



skinnybex
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:07 pm

by skinnybex

kervelo wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:55 pm
New 40/44 GR wheels from Reserve: wider and lighter than before.

https://reservewheels.com/en-eur/produc ... 4575744181

Edit:
Review by Bikerumor https://bikerumor.com/reserve-40-44-car ... el-wheels/
I have the prior generation 40/44 and have ran both 30mm Corsa's for road riding and 42mm Sworks PF Pros. Great wheels IMHO and the new update will work well for gravel specific riding with the even wider internal/external and shaping. My gravel rides average between 17-20mph and the wheels feel and prove faster than my Zipp FC303 by about .3mph
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

kervelo
Posts: 936
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:58 am
Location: Finland

by kervelo


jdms2k
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:21 am

by jdms2k

I'm tempted to buy these, although I would like a 240 or 180 hubs.

Alternatively, I like the 25 wheels.

parleez1
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 8:57 pm
Location: Boston, MAssachusetts

by parleez1

jdms2k wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:31 pm
I'm tempted to buy these, although I would like a 240 or 180 hubs.

Alternatively, I like the 25 wheels.
I think I purchased the last pair of Reserve 40/44 road wheels w/DT 350 hubs in stock from Mike's Bikes at 25% off! Should arrive on Tuesday 4/30, excited to ride them onboth my road andgravel bikes.Thought about getting the DT 240 version but at full price didn't want to spend the extra money to save a little weight. I have DT 350 hubs onother wheels and they performvery well.

skrapmot
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:34 pm

by skrapmot

I have two sets of 40/44s for my gravel bike, one with 44s Manostash Ridges and the other with GP5k in 32s...they work great, smooth and fast, not affected with wind. Tires blow up to 47 and 35 with the wide internal width.
I'm also running the reserve 52/63 set on my road bike with 30s which pump up to just under 32mm.

ultimatist
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:45 pm
Location: San Francisco

by ultimatist

parleez1 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:20 pm
jdms2k wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:31 pm
I'm tempted to buy these, although I would like a 240 or 180 hubs.

Alternatively, I like the 25 wheels.
I think I purchased the last pair of Reserve 40/44 road wheels w/DT 350 hubs in stock from Mike's Bikes at 25% off! Should arrive on Tuesday 4/30, excited to ride them onboth my road andgravel bikes.Thought about getting the DT 240 version but at full price didn't want to spend the extra money to save a little weight. I have DT 350 hubs onother wheels and they performvery well.
I believe the gravel version were only 20% off... now that is an interesting all-road setup with 27mm internals!

parleez1
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 8:57 pm
Location: Boston, MAssachusetts

by parleez1

First ride yesterday (5/4) on the Reserve 40/44 road wheels set up with Vittoria Corsa Pro Control 32mm tires, did not disappoint. It was very easy to seat the tires on the rims by hand, no tire irons needed. My wheels came with Reserve Fillmore valves, so I was able to pump them up with a hand pump, put sealant into the wheels through the Fillmore valve with no issues, they are holding air with no leaks. The wheels handled very well on my first ride in a cross wind, I did not get blown around at all, they felt just as fast as riding my Roval Alpinist CL wheels with 28mm Sprecialied Cotton tires. So far I'm very happy with my purchase!

parleez1
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 8:57 pm
Location: Boston, MAssachusetts

by parleez1

BTW- I'm running the front wheel at 53 psi and the rear at 57 psi, I might try lowering the psi in both wheels, but the ride was very comfortable.

pushpush
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:10 am

by pushpush

I wish Fillmore valves came in more lengths. I don't like that the exposed valve lengths are different when wheel depths are different.

parleez1
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 8:57 pm
Location: Boston, MAssachusetts

by parleez1

pushpush wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 3:21 pm
I wish Fillmore valves came in more lengths. I don't like that the exposed valve lengths are different when wheel depths are different.
Yes, they should make different lengths for different wheel depths. They work fine with the 40/44 wheel depths.

kervelo
Posts: 936
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:58 am
Location: Finland

by kervelo

pushpush wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 3:21 pm
I wish Fillmore valves came in more lengths. I don't like that the exposed valve lengths are different when wheel depths are different.
The fillmore valves are available in 50 mm, 70 mm and 90 mm lengths.

Requiem84
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:07 pm

by Requiem84

parleez1 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 1:36 pm
First ride yesterday (5/4) on the Reserve 40/44 road wheels set up with Vittoria Corsa Pro Control 32mm tires, did not disappoint. It was very easy to seat the tires on the rims by hand, no tire irons needed. My wheels came with Reserve Fillmore valves, so I was able to pump them up with a hand pump, put sealant into the wheels through the Fillmore valve with no issues, they are holding air with no leaks. The wheels handled very well on my first ride in a cross wind, I did not get blown around at all, they felt just as fast as riding my Roval Alpinist CL wheels with 28mm Sprecialied Cotton tires. So far I'm very happy with my purchase!
Are you talking about the 40/44 road wheels or the 40/44 GR(avel) set?

It's a bit confusing, but they are two different sets of wheels.

parleez1
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 8:57 pm
Location: Boston, MAssachusetts

by parleez1

Requiem84 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm
parleez1 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 1:36 pm
First ride yesterday (5/4) on the Reserve 40/44 road wheels set up with Vittoria Corsa Pro Control 32mm tires, did not disappoint. It was very easy to seat the tires on the rims by hand, no tire irons needed. My wheels came with Reserve Fillmore valves, so I was able to pump them up with a hand pump, put sealant into the wheels through the Fillmore valve with no issues, they are holding air with no leaks. The wheels handled very well on my first ride in a cross wind, I did not get blown around at all, they felt just as fast as riding my Roval Alpinist CL wheels with 28mm Sprecialied Cotton tires. So far I'm very happy with my purchase!
Are you talking about the 40/44 road wheels or the 40/44 GR(avel) set?

It's a bit confusing, but they are two different sets of wheels.
Re-read my post, I did say road wheels...

Requiem84
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:07 pm

by Requiem84

parleez1 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:40 pm
Requiem84 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 1:37 pm
parleez1 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 1:36 pm
First ride yesterday (5/4) on the Reserve 40/44 road wheels set up with Vittoria Corsa Pro Control 32mm tires, did not disappoint. It was very easy to seat the tires on the rims by hand, no tire irons needed. My wheels came with Reserve Fillmore valves, so I was able to pump them up with a hand pump, put sealant into the wheels through the Fillmore valve with no issues, they are holding air with no leaks. The wheels handled very well on my first ride in a cross wind, I did not get blown around at all, they felt just as fast as riding my Roval Alpinist CL wheels with 28mm Sprecialied Cotton tires. So far I'm very happy with my purchase!
Are you talking about the 40/44 road wheels or the 40/44 GR(avel) set?

It's a bit confusing, but they are two different sets of wheels.
Re-read my post, I did say road wheels...
Ah true, you did. Missed it. But this topic is on the GR wheels (as it is in the CX & Gravel section). Nevertheless, good to hear you're happy with the cross winds stability as I presume it will be exactly the same between the road and GR set wheels.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply