Gravel pedals with a bit more float

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

alexanderp1991

by alexanderp1991

I've really not been getting on with dual sided pedals. I've got big clumsy feet that seem to struggle with them compared to road.
I've tried shimano m540 but found they didn't work with my swork recon shoes (older model) due to the tread not contacting the pedal (lateral rock) and the float not feeling enough. Swapped to eggbeaters and used the contact sleeves to get rid of the lateral rock and much prefer the float but overall contact area is small and I'm on my third pair from breaking springs and having to service them a lot.
Are the xtr notably better? The look xtrack advertise large surface area and more float. Anything from time? Willing to try new shoes as well in case mine are just worn out now. This will be purely gravel.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

I use Time atac pedals on gravel (road pedal if there's no hike-a-bike parts). The atacs have excellent float and are easy to get in/out. Also has an easy release cleat option (just reduces angle required for release). They are on par with egg beaters re weight and can usually be found for good deals (best value is second from top model).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Second hand Speedplay Frog pedals would give you the float.

jemima

by jemima

Went from Frogs to Xpedo M-Force 8. Good platform/support area.
Was a toss up at the time between these and the Time or Look [larger platform option].

With my old S-Works XC shoes I saw a vid or two where it was most likely I'd have to remove some shoe tread to fit.
Got the dremel out and went to town, which I was fine with.

Very solid feeling clicked in. Decent amount of float.
After experimenting I ended up with the release screw backed way out, so I could unclip no probs.

Frogs were great; free float.
However once the pedal lock-in ridge starts to wear down, the lateral rocking starts.
New cleats and bits don't remedy that.
Curve Grovel ti.