Help Me Spec a Topstone

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

justonwo

by justonwo

Hey all. Long time road and mountain biker. I want to add a gravel bike to my two road bikes and mountain bikes. I had an F12, Aethos, and Epic. My goal is to get a bike that is good for mixed terrain and something that's a bit safer in the rain than my road bikes.

I've decided on the Topstone Lab 71 for the frame and will build up from there.

Here's the stuff I'm already certain about:

Frame: Topstone Lab 71
Shifters: Force AXS
Crank: Red 1 x power meter
BB: Ceramicspeed
RD: XX1
Cassette: 10:50
Saddle: Some variety of Selle Italia. Probably SLR Kit Carbonio

Here's where I could use some help:

Handlebars: I definitely want carbon bars with a reasonable amount of flair. I expect to be doing moderately difficult terrain. I'll be doing the BWR in Canada in September. I understand the flare gives you much better stability in the drops. I also want something that is compatible with aero bars for bike packing, should I decide to add them. Maybe Enve is a good choice?

Stem: I don't really care that much except that it'll be a top end build. Probably the same brand as the bars.

Wheels: I expect I'll be riding mostly wider wheels. I'll probably start with 45 mm, which is the max the Topstone will accommodate. The shop is recommending Reserve 40/44. I have no experience with Reserve wheels. Not sure how much I care about the aero performance or how often I'll even be using skinny enough tires for it to much matter. Ideally, I want something with a wide internal rim measurement. Zipp 353 is an option I guess. I have those wheels on my F12. SES 3.4 but not sure those are compatible with any tires in the size I want. Maybe the G23?

Roval Terra CLX II seems like a very strong all-around contender with the combination of hooked rims, wide internals, low weight, and great hub (DT180 is a favorite).

What say ye?
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

abLEmiaB

by abLEmiaB

I have the same frame, still building.

Bars: I went with 3T Aeroghiaia. Not compatible with aero bars though.

Stem: a hybrid Spesh one so I can use their computer mount same as on my Tarmac. Not lightweight.

Wheels: Terra CLX II. They were on solid sale and the combination of things they had like warranty, DT hubs (like my road bike's Rapides, for one less factor of difference at maintenance time), external nipples, geometry and low weight made them a good choice for me. I also considered DT GRC 1400 or the cheaper but identical Swiss Side version, Firecrest 303, 3T's gravel set, some others.

Tyres: Tufo Swampero in 44. If I bought 4 and a spoke wrench I got free shipping from Europe (200€ qualifies)

justonwo

by justonwo

abLEmiaB wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:58 pm
I have the same frame, still building.

Bars: I went with 3T Aeroghiaia. Not compatible with aero bars though.

Stem: a hybrid Spesh one so I can use their computer mount same as on my Tarmac. Not lightweight.

Wheels: Terra CLX II. They were on solid sale and the combination of things they had like warranty, DT hubs (like my road bike's Rapides, for one less factor of difference at maintenance time), external nipples, geometry and low weight made them a good choice for me. I also considered DT GRC 1400 or the cheaper but identical Swiss Side version, Firecrest 303, 3T's gravel set, some others.

Tyres: Tufo Swampero in 44. If I bought 4 and a spoke wrench I got free shipping from Europe (200€ qualifies)
Great info. Thanks. I test rode a couple today just for size. Hard to say for sure, but small seems right? I'm 5'6" and usually ride a 52. The small feels pretty close to my road bike. The medium feels like it has a crazy high stack. Which it does.
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

abLEmiaB

by abLEmiaB

I went Large, which is a safe range for me at 6'2". I should be able to tweak a few things to get it comfortable if I need.

Other things I've bought include Arundel DTR, STR and also a Mandible to add to the other 4 I have if I choose to put a cage under the down tube. And a Power Pro with Mirror saddle (or whatever the Ti rail version is called) because I find Power Mirror very comfortable.

Debating SPD or Hope Union RC.

And I'm waiting for GRX Di2 12-speed for compatibility with my road group. I'll set it up 2x12.

abLEmiaB

by abLEmiaB

The other consideration for me was the Terra CLX EVO, which is a really good deal in my country right now. If I was experienced enough with gravel to know I was committing to 45mm+ forever then I would have chosen them. But the non-EVO is more flexible and can double as a road rim.

justonwo

by justonwo

abLEmiaB wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:07 am
The other consideration for me was the Terra CLX EVO, which is a really good deal in my country right now. If I was experienced enough with gravel to know I was committing to 45mm+ forever then I would have chosen them. But the non-EVO is more flexible and can double as a road rim.
The EVO is interesting. Is the minimum tire size really 45 mm? Seems like the Terra CLX should cover my bases. I can't even go over 45 mm anyway.
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

abLEmiaB

by abLEmiaB

I found some stuff that said regular CLX is 28-42mm and EVO is 38-47mm. What I meant was you could maybe go at the bottom end of that range for tyres with the EVO but something in the 42-45mm range would maybe be best. I don't know.

I have the 44mm Tufo mounted on the CLX and while I definitely needed levers they fit fine, the rim is more protected from side hits and they look good being slightly deeper (even though there are obviously no aero gains with this setup). If I ever needed to run road tyres I would try with 28mm-32mm and they should fit ok. So they are potentially more versatile. Even as a lightweight modern tyred road rim.

justonwo

by justonwo

I'm also seeing information that says the alloy and carbon frame geometries are different. Even some people that said the alloy medium fits like the carbon small. I rode an alloy small and a carbon medium.
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

justonwo

by justonwo

Just rode a small carbon today. It's a pretty big size jump from the small alloy. The carbon small feels just right as far as I can tell. I'll probably stick with the CLX II wheels. If I feel like I need different wheels down the road (unlikely), I can always swap a second set.
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

justonwo

by justonwo

So the frame is ordered. Small carbon fits just right. Once it arrives, I'm going to head up to a local shop to talk about parts. Pretty sure I'm going with the Terra CLX II for the wheels. Probably an Enve cockpit and a Selle saddle. I wish the release of SRAM's Red AXS update was closer as I would surely go that route. The smaller hoods look like they are just the ticket. The larger hoods are ok for road but for gravel I'd rather have something smaller. I guess Force for now . . .
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

slngshot

by slngshot

I have Topstone Medium, Force AXS 1x 48T quarq with XO1 10-50 groupset.
wheels are litebicycle carbon using Teravail 47mm tires with no clearance issues.

You cannot go larger than the 48 with safe clearance on the frame.
I'll also say the Lab71 frame has the rear caliper mounted on the chain stay and NOT the seat stay - that alone is worth the extra money.
I snapped a rear stay under heavy braking on the regular carbon frame. Cannondale replaced it.

Mounting caliper on seat stay that is a pivot point is just a terrible idea.
The bike - it's insane amazing. I'm using AXS 75mm dropper, it allows you to descend and corner far better than you would think.

but - NOT for weight weenie.
I have the carbon KS Lev Ci 100mm for lighter option.

justonwo

by justonwo

slngshot wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:04 pm
I have Topstone Medium, Force AXS 1x 48T quarq with XO1 10-50 groupset.
wheels are litebicycle carbon using Teravail 47mm tires with no clearance issues.

You cannot go larger than the 48 with safe clearance on the frame.
I'll also say the Lab71 frame has the rear caliper mounted on the chain stay and NOT the seat stay - that alone is worth the extra money.
I snapped a rear stay under heavy braking on the regular carbon frame. Cannondale replaced it.

Mounting caliper on seat stay that is a pivot point is just a terrible idea.
The bike - it's insane amazing. I'm using AXS 75mm dropper, it allows you to descend and corner far better than you would think.

but - NOT for weight weenie.
I have the carbon KS Lev Ci 100mm for lighter option.
Sounds like a really nice setup! Thanks for sharing. I could see myself getting a dropper some day but who knows.

I didn't realize that about the caliper mount on the Lab71, but now that you mention it, I think that's a nice design improvement.

I don't anticipate I'll go any larger than 45 mm on this bike.
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

Zillon

by Zillon

slngshot wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:04 pm
FYI, the caliper location changes depending on frame size. XS/S/M gets it on the seat stay. L/XL goes on the chainstay.

You made me do a hard look into this because I'm currently building a medium TS Lab71 now, and my rear caliper mount is on the seatstay; you made me think I got some weird pre-production frame. I was 5 seconds away from an angry call to Cannondale. :oops:

I started looking into photos of Lab71 builds and product photos and I realized that the caliper placement changes depending on frame size, same for the regular 2023+ Topstone carbon.
Road: 1990 Schwinn Traveler | 2012 Cannondale Caad10 | 2023 Cannondale Supersix Evo
Gravel: 2019 Blacklist Bikes 'Sacklist' | 2023 Cannondale Topstone Lab71
Mountain: 2016 Orbea Occam TR

Zillon

by Zillon

Something else I discovered with this bike is that the minimum rear rotor size is 160mm.

I ordered a 140, as this is what I run on my gravel and my road bikes in the rear, went to set up the rear brakes, and was dismayed to find that the frame defaults to a 160mm rotor.

Anyone know of any adapters to step down from a 160mm to a 140mm rear rotor? Probably idiotic to even consider it; the weight of the adapter + the 140mm rotor is probably equivalent or more than just running the 160mm rotor.
Road: 1990 Schwinn Traveler | 2012 Cannondale Caad10 | 2023 Cannondale Supersix Evo
Gravel: 2019 Blacklist Bikes 'Sacklist' | 2023 Cannondale Topstone Lab71
Mountain: 2016 Orbea Occam TR

jfl

by jfl

Can't you remove the adapter on the rear caliper? That's what I did on my alloy Topstone and it works a treat. GRX 800 brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com