Best gravel bike for 2024 (fast ones)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

some good gravel frameset?

cervelo aspero 5
12%
bmc kaius
11%
vitus venon
3%
specialized crux
19%
trek checkpoint
4%
canyon grail
7%
factor ls
2%
factor ostro gravel
19%
ridley kanzo fast
7%
other?
17%

Total votes: 150

Salespunk

by Salespunk

req110 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:36 pm
Salespunk wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:37 am
req110 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:26 am
Will Canyon allow you to send them old cockpit back and swap for longer and more narrow?
UPDATE: I answered myself by chatting with canyon rep. They told me that you have to order an additional cockpit, BUT they won't take the old back (as was possible in the past). They won't even allow you to purchase that without handlebars.

I see that Grail has UDH hanger. Which is a future proof that's ok, but the cockpit is no go.

Only few bikes has UDH by the way, one of them is Ridley Grifn.
FYI there is a UDH conversion available for the Specialized lineup including Tarmac, Roubaix, Crux and Diverge now.
But they don't even reply to my query regards if they are going to sell the udh hanger mod, and for how much.
I should have said it will be available, currently being tested. It will only be available as part of a Transmission group (RD and cassette) from them, the part will not be available individually.

DHG01

by DHG01

Quite pleased. Hoping to change the wheels to Farsport carbon spoke (though not ideal for comfort).

Currently at a chunky 8.2 kg. Proprietary seatpost is 190 grams and stem is 300 grams...
Attachments
IMG_0427.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

Salespunk wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:00 am
req110 wrote:
Salespunk wrote:
req110 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:26 am
Will Canyon allow you to send them old cockpit back and swap for longer and more narrow?
UPDATE: I answered myself by chatting with canyon rep. They told me that you have to order an additional cockpit, BUT they won't take the old back (as was possible in the past). They won't even allow you to purchase that without handlebars.

I see that Grail has UDH hanger. Which is a future proof that's ok, but the cockpit is no go.

Only few bikes has UDH by the way, one of them is Ridley Grifn.
FYI there is a UDH conversion available for the Specialized lineup including Tarmac, Roubaix, Crux and Diverge now.
But they don't even reply to my query regards if they are going to sell the udh hanger mod, and for how much.
I should have said it will be available, currently being tested. It will only be available as part of a Transmission group (RD and cassette) from them, the part will not be available individually.
Are you 100% sure they won't sell udh hanger adapter separately? That is completely stoopid.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ SH 9270 / Roval Rapide CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Salespunk

by Salespunk

req110 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:55 am
Salespunk wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:00 am
req110 wrote:
Salespunk wrote:

Are you 100% sure they won't sell udh hanger adapter separately? That is completely stoopid.
Yes I am 100% certain. It is not stupid at all when you consider the investment required to come up with the concept and build something that everyone including Specialized and Sram thought was impossible. Plus 95% of the people that want the adaptor don't already own a Transmisson RD/Cassette/chain and will be buying that anyway.

req110

by req110

I think they can retrieve the profit by selling the kit for 100 euro. I would accept that price tag.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ SH 9270 / Roval Rapide CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

Anyone have experience with the Crux and the ADHX ? Starting to get the gravel itch and debating between these two bikes.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

ultyguy

by ultyguy

So just 0.02 from my end.

I have a Crux, Dark Matter, Ridley Kanzo Adventure, have owned a normal Aspero. As all have said it depends a ton on what terrain you’re actually on.

For example I was around Stowe, VT last summer and rented a Diverge which was fine but the gravel was so smooth I could’ve easily done it on 32 GP5000s. OTOH I’m off to the Migration Gravel race shortly and have picked up the Kanzo Adventure and put on 2.1 mtb tires and that might be underbiked.

At home in the alps tough climbs are usually the name of the day and for that the Crux is definitely king and it’s really no slouch on the flat either, lots of pros use this in Lifetime etc and get big wins and it still fits a 50mm with minimal tread.

Aspero I found heavy and too stiff for most gravel. Dark Matter is a great all rounder and the only one that can actually double as a CX bike which I use it for as the geo is sharp enough to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Only been out on the Ridley once but was shocked I could do 90% of what I normally use my Supercaliber for, very impressed but measurably slower on pavement in that setup vs crux

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Heard, in passing, the Throttle House guys talk about how Jeeps can backcountry or rockcrawl or etc etc., and thought maybe we need to start classifying gravel bikes in a more granular way. With tires treated like XC ski wax choices.

RDY

by RDY

ultyguy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:00 am
Only been out on the Ridley once but was shocked I could do 90% of what I normally use my Supercaliber for, very impressed but measurably slower on pavement in that setup vs crux

The Thunder Burts probably have lower RR. But they're so much heavier that any climbing is going to be a lot slower on paved roads.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

For sure but if as you move away from pure hard pack the penalty goes away pretty quickly. On the Crux I’m running Thundero 40s, very quick on paved or hard pack climbs.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Any opinions on the Rose Backroad FF? Looks good, seems like a decent weight, pretty much ready to go out of the box.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

What are recommendations for NorCal?

Not so much mud
Mix of trail and road (even in most gravel races)
Definitely needs to climb well (usually around 2-4k meters of climbing per race)
Some chonky singletrack, some sand, high-speed gravel descents but few big-hit
60-100mile races

I've liked my Ibis Hakka MX, but it's old and facing some challenges, and I'm curious about better gears, brakes, lightness, better fit (long torso, short legs)

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

Question to moderators. Why is thread in the "Road" forum? Shouldn't it be moved to "CX & Gravel"?

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

GONE4ARIDE wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:08 pm
Question to moderators. Why is thread in the "Road" forum? Shouldn't it be moved to "CX & Gravel"?
Done. No one had flagged it so I hadn't clocked that
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Matilda - Ti/Carbon Race TBC
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓