Best gravel bike for 2024 (fast ones)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

some good gravel frameset?

cervelo aspero 5
12%
bmc kaius
11%
vitus venon
3%
specialized crux
19%
trek checkpoint
4%
canyon grail
7%
factor ls
2%
factor ostro gravel
19%
ridley kanzo fast
7%
other?
17%

Total votes: 150

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Where in Suomi do you usually ride, JHeiro? I worked for a summer around Helsinki and Espoo and rode a lot of gravel roads on my road bike (had only brought the one bike) and enjoyed the terrain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JHeiro

by JHeiro

twoangstroms wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:08 pm
Where in Suomi do you usually ride, JHeiro? I worked for a summer around Helsinki and Espoo and rode a lot of gravel roads on my road bike (had only brought the one bike) and enjoyed the terrain.
I'm in Turku area (South-Western corner of Finland). Gravel roads in this area vary from gravel highways (easily rideable with road bike) to small fire roads. I intensely dislike mountain biking, and stay away from rocks and roots.

req110

by req110

Nice crux. Thank you.

I am also wondering - shall i get UDH hanger equipped bike? I may run mullet, and using t-type rear mech it's gonna work well. But not many bikes have UDH hanger. Only few.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ SH 9270 / Roval Rapide CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

BenCousins

by BenCousins

ViperFFM wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:30 pm
A roadbike with 35mm tyre clearance
Indeed. Best option right now is the Canyon Endurace? I don't think gravel bikes are that fast. Most pros are riding whatever the sponsor tells them to.
Last edited by BenCousins on Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Salespunk wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:17 am
Have you considered the new Roubaix? Road bike geo with 40 mm tire clearance I believe.
Or this one.

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Nice photos and looks like a lovely time of year, JHiero, tak!

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Minirac wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:20 pm
bmc kaius- best blend of aero/lightweight/stiffness/geometry.
https://www.tour-magazin.de/rennraeder/ ... tour-test/

Factor is haevy and have seatpost problems. Crux is zero aero and no integration. Cervelo is heavy AF. New canyon grail is looong (if you do straight& flat courses it should be ok)
Every other are out of competition. Sadly gravel segment and market is far from being mature. Will need at least 5 more years to settle in.
This is true for normal sizing of frames. But if you downsize the frame, and replace stock bars with their pro cockpit (40 cm wide and stem up to 110mm) to compensate for the lost reach, you end up with a very aggressive, road-like set up, with an appropriately slacker fork and a longer wheelbase.

Eg, compare Spesh SL7 in size 56, to Kaius in size 56 to Canyon Grail in size S and you'll see what I mean. I also bet this is what the pros who rode it this year did as well - i.e., went down a size, and added reach with the pro level cockpit.

I think the value proposition (even after ponying up extra for the pro cockpit), the weight, the ability to add TT bars, integrated storage (in-frame and the bag they sell) make the Grail a hugely appealing option vs competition for a fast gravel bike. Plus I think cable integration is done beautifully right for a gravel bike.

Kaius is somewhat lighter, but much more expensive and lacks the storage bits or the ability to add TT bars (at least for now).

Kinda hoping Canyon can turn out a new Aeroad in a year or two based on on similar design principles, ditching the current stupid cockpit and offering something similar to the Grail bar instead, with a conventional steerer set up, and "pro" options that enable people to go long and narrow.

req110

by req110

Will Canyon allow you to send them old cockpit back and swap for longer and more narrow?
UPDATE: I answered myself by chatting with canyon rep. They told me that you have to order an additional cockpit, BUT they won't take the old back (as was possible in the past). They won't even allow you to purchase that without handlebars.

I see that Grail has UDH hanger. Which is a future proof that's ok, but the cockpit is no go.

Only few bikes has UDH by the way, one of them is Ridley Grifn.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

req110 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:26 am
I see that Grail has UDH hanger. Which is a future proof that's ok, but the cockpit is no go.
I understand it's not ideal. However if the Grail ticks all other boxes I'd be practical and consider the extra cockpit as part of the complete price, which should still be lower than most other bikes. I think the Grail is a very strong contender.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

RDY

by RDY

Based on its shape and my experience, the Fuji Jari Carbon 2023 is probably as quick as it gets if riding at faster pace. But there are several dealbreakers. The frame storage doesn't work and rattles around with a loose elastic strap; the alternative cover does not fit properly and needs to be duct-taped to seal the BB area; the carbon seatpost with deflection and rubber insert was recalled before release and still hasn't been delivered 9 months later; no framesets. Ride and performance are great, but the details are really bad, and previously un-Fuji-like. The issues and lack of any rectification don't bode well IMO.

Bielas

by Bielas

req110 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:26 am
Only few bikes has UDH by the way, one of them is Ridley Grifn.
Another one with UDH is the Aurum Manto, fast gravel type of geometry but takes up to 45mm tires
:mrgreen:

req110

by req110

Thinking about grail again, the truth is that the fugly short and wide CP0039 cockpit is not needed. You may substitute with any other.

Woland

by Woland

Vielo V+1 with an integrated hb and stem would be my choice. Rented one for two days and had a total blast. For anyone interested, there's a review by Guy Kesteven somewhere on YouTube and I think he's spot on.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

req110 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:30 pm
Thinking about grail again, the truth is that the fugly short and wide CP0039 cockpit is not needed. You may substitute with any other.
Unless you want a cockpit where it's easy to attach TT bars to. In which case Grail cockpit is the answer.

I also think it actually looks kinda cool, but eye of the beholder, etc.

req110

by req110

I am not much interested in TT bars on the gravel bike, but even if i was, this CP0039 cockpit is only available as 8cm long at most. Which is something what pushes you out of any downsizing considerations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com