Best gravel bike for 2024 (fast ones)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

some good gravel frameset?

cervelo aspero 5
12%
bmc kaius
10%
vitus venon
3%
specialized crux
20%
trek checkpoint
5%
canyon grail
7%
factor ls
2%
factor ostro gravel
19%
ridley kanzo fast
7%
other?
16%

Total votes: 153

req110

by req110

Hey, I might have to build some good gravel bike for myself. I am considering which one should I get. Looking for some tips.

I had Factor LS in the past and it was great, I would aim for something similar, road-ish is with 40-43mm clearance.
Cannondale is NO-GO due to Ai.

I would get Force AXS XPLR D2, some 45mm wheels, roval alpinist cockpit, ideally 40-42cm, or two piece.
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

The topstone no longer uses Ai and it's speculated the next SuperX won't either. There's likely to be a new TCX as well. I don't ride gravel but just based on reviews you may want to also consider that integrated 3T exploro, Scott Addict gravel, TIME ADHX

Also: not fast, but anything by Bearclaw bike and Rodeo labs is gonna be quite an adventurous set up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

Thanks for tips.
Let me include also Trek Boone and maybe Trek Domane SLR altought it has smaller tire clearance.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

Cervelo Aspero is a bike that feels fast and handles like a proper road race bike but with tire clearance just wide enough for riding rapid on Unroad sections of a race course. I've raced my Aspero on Singletrack, Gravel and Tarmac and it excels on all surfaces. I do think It'll be updated this Spring with a new model that is slightly lighter and a bit more tire clearance.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

Cannoli

by Cannoli

No 3T on the list?
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

mortirolo

by mortirolo

De Rosa Hera
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

req110

by req110

Cannoli wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:24 pm
No 3T on the list?
Nope.
Older exploro is too old. And ultra and race max are not my aesthetical preference.

req110

by req110

mortirolo wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:19 pm
De Rosa Hera
Wow!

cerro

by cerro

I had an LS before too and know the feeling. Miss it sometimes but sold it because my Pirelli 40mm was too tight.

Tried the Kaius, Crux and Ostro Gravel on your list. Ostro felt fastest and like a roadbike with wide tires, great qualityfeel too. Crux is good but nothing special. Kaius is like a superfast hardtail mtb, if it's technical or chunky gravel and you're hardcore and don't want comfort features it's awesome.

parleez1

by parleez1

I have an Enve Mog it's very fast and light certainly being used as a race bike, built up with Roval Terra CLX II wheels, Force AXS XPLR 1x group, check it out.

DHG01

by DHG01

Aspero, Kaius, Crux and a few others have a longer top tube than their road siblings and are meant to be ridden with shorter stems. I can see why, but for fast paced gravel (not mountain bike gravel) I think I rather the roadish geometry but perhaps with a bit more stack.

I think the ADHX is interesting. Similarly, I built a Palta last month. The ETT is what I like on road bikes but with higher stack. HTA is a bit lower than what I would expect, but feels fine.

On a straight line, you are positioned and feels like a bit more upright road bike (running 100 mm -8° stem on size 54 with 38 mm ctc , flaring at the bottom) - but very similar. Going over the rougher patches at speed, you can notice some of the comfort features built into fork and rear part of the frame.

Jedi-ing on well surfaced single tracks is fine; agile enough (and noting I am on slick GK). When the rear end goes loose, you have time to get back in place (but it's not a mountain bike).

The full frameset feels very well put together; high quality and solid; frame, fork, proprietary seat post and bar/stem combo. For the latter, you can choose length and width.

The frame is not light (1150 grams), seat post heavy (205 grams) and the stem made out of lead.

DHG01

by DHG01

I imagine a higher bottom bracket, but would be interesting to consider the R5 CX.

To my earlier point, for the same size, I think there is 1.5 cm difference in ETT between R5 CX and Aspero.

req110

by req110

skinnybex wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:04 pm
Cervelo Aspero is a bike that feels fast and handles like a proper road race bike but with tire clearance just wide enough for riding rapid on Unroad sections of a race course. I've raced my Aspero on Singletrack, Gravel and Tarmac and it excels on all surfaces. I do think It'll be updated this Spring with a new model that is slightly lighter and a bit more tire clearance.
How much better is aspero 5 over regular aspero?

There is a good deal for brand new classic aspero in my favourite matte black, rival xplr, carbon seatpost/handlebars, reserve carbon wheels, for 3570 eur.

Minirac

by Minirac

bmc kaius- best blend of aero/lightweight/stiffness/geometry.
https://www.tour-magazin.de/rennraeder/ ... tour-test/

Factor is haevy and have seatpost problems. Crux is zero aero and no integration. Cervelo is heavy AF. New canyon grail is looong (if you do straight& flat courses it should be ok)
Every other are out of competition. Sadly gravel segment and market is far from being mature. Will need at least 5 more years to settle in.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

req110 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:04 pm
skinnybex wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:04 pm
How much better is aspero 5 over regular aspero?

There is a good deal for brand new classic aspero in my favourite matte black, rival xplr, carbon seatpost/handlebars, reserve carbon wheels, for 3570 eur.
No difference other than maybe 100 grams lighter and internal cables which really make no difference for gravel riding. The bike is very focused on excelling for all out fast riding and the handling that makes it feels like a race bike as opposed to a long, stable and slack bike that feels boring. I've ridden a number of gravel bikes the past 3 years and I sold most other brand bikes I've owned because The Geo on Cervelo models fit me perfect and also more value due to discounts and pricing. I've ridden the Crux, Diverge, Factor Ostro Gravel, Cannondale TS and Ventum GS and I'd still take the Aspero.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com