Best tyres for hardpack, sand patches and paved - no soft dirt or mud?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

satanas

by satanas

Around where I live (Sydney AU) gravel riding is mostly on fire trails, with some singletrack. In the Blue Mountains things are generally rough and steep, with a mix of hardpacked dirt, plus occasional sand patches and rock outcrops. There's basically no soft dirt and not much mud - which I detest anyway, so avoid.

Getting to and from the dirt means road riding, so sketchy cornering on paved surfaces is a no no, and things are rough enough that 45+mm is better as there's less hand trauma and chance of pinch flats or rim damage.

At least a little bit of edge grip is handy to avoid interesting times in sand patches, but otherwise grip isn't usually a big deal. What tyres do people think would be good? (It'd be useful if there were both 700c and 650b options.)

Thanks!

PS: MTB tyre suggestiins for the same conditions would also be helpful.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Specialized Pathfinder Pro

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

satanas wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:47 am
Around where I live (Sydney AU) gravel riding is mostly on fire trails, with some singletrack. In the Blue Mountains things are generally rough and steep, with a mix of hardpacked dirt, plus occasional sand patches and rock outcrops. There's basically no soft dirt and not much mud - which I detest anyway, so avoid.

Getting to and from the dirt means road riding, so sketchy cornering on paved surfaces is a no no, and things are rough enough that 45+mm is better as there's less hand trauma and chance of pinch flats or rim damage.

At least a little bit of edge grip is handy to avoid interesting times in sand patches, but otherwise grip isn't usually a big deal. What tyres do people think would be good? (It'd be useful if there were both 700c and 650b options.)

Thanks!

PS: MTB tyre suggestiins for the same conditions would also be helpful.
If you can fit one, a Continental Race King protection sounds ideal. Available in either 27.5" and 29" in 2.2" width. Really fast for a MTB tyre and the volume will be good for the rocks. Grip is good on dry surgaces in my experience which is what you're looking for.

I've no experience of them personally but a Schwalbe Thunder Burt would also be suitable and is a little more narrow at 2.1".

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I've recently put on a set of Pirelli Gravel M in 700x45. Much of the gravel riding in my (Adelaide Hills) area is hard packed clay, but also plenty of hard base with loose gravel/rubble on top and many single track options that are steep and rutty or covered with tree roots.

There is also a bit of tarmac required to link to them.

Have found that the Gravel M rolls Ok on the road, and despite the chunky tread, actually grips really well (braking downhill on loose stuff was really good). Was tossing up between the Gravel M or Gravel H, but really happy with what I have.

BRR rates them well >> https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... i-gravel-m
The Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M is a decent performer in our tests. Given its rough tread pattern and excellent knob height, it should be a good gravel bike tire for a wide range of conditions. Of course, this isn't the fastest rolling tire out there, but it's definitely still acceptable if you're not looking for an all-out racing tire.
If you're looking for a gravel bike tire that doesn't need changing between the seasons, the Pirelli Gravel M might be one of the best choices out there.
RATING: 4.0 / 5
TEST VERDICT: Recommended

warthog101

by warthog101

I have north of 15k km on gravel on my Revolt now. Central Vic. Gravel, rock, firetrail.
Panaracer gravelking SK have been good. Tough enough, wear well and good grip. Running a gravelking SS at the back currently. Pretty happy with it.
Needs a compressor to seat the buggers ime though.
I plan on trying pathfinder pros at some point too.

mogwaiboi

by mogwaiboi

I've been using Conti Terra Speed 650B x 40 for a few months now and I like them. They feel quick on tarmac and they grip quite well on loose gravel, better than I thought. I went from 45c Schwalbe G-One Bite to these, similar tread but the Conti are 150g lighter per tyre! I'd even consider a 45c Terra Speed on the front if my wheels were 700c...
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Canyon Grizl CF SLX
Open U.P.

abLEmiaB

by abLEmiaB

Left field option: Tufo. I'm a roadie with very little gravel experience but recently bought 4 Tufo Swampero and a spoke nipple wrench fitting to just push it over 200€ and free shipping from wherever they are in eastern Europe. There are more mileage oriented tyres than the Swampero but all the Tufos rate pretty well across the board on BRR.

satanas

by satanas

Thanks everyone - I'll see what I can find out there... :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

mogwaiboi wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:42 am
I've been using Conti Terra Speed 650B x 40 for a few months now and I like them. They feel quick on tarmac and they grip quite well on loose gravel, better than I thought. I went from 45c Schwalbe G-One Bite to these, similar tread but the Conti are 150g lighter per tyre! I'd even consider a 45c Terra Speed on the front if my wheels were 700c...
I absolutely love my Conti Terra Speed 650B x 40 on everything except when cornering 🤣 So as a compromise I just go super slow when I'm taking corners.