Go-to all-rounder gravel tire for mainly fire roads

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Over the last year, I've transitioned to riding more gravel than road, and will be entering my first events in 2024.

One thing I'm still experimenting with is tire choice. Much of the riding in my local area (southern UK) is a mixture of byways, back lanes, bridleways and bits of mild-moderate singletrack. Mud and roots tend to be the biggest issues. I've adapted my tyre choice to that.

The thing is, there's not much 'classic' or 'mid-west' gravel near me. There's some, but hardly enough to make an informed choice.

In particular, I'll be doing a 200km event in April. This event will take place on more classic gravel, with lots of fairly smooth fire roads, although there are a few chunkier sections, and there is some flint around. There are lots of ups and downs, so the odds of hitting the occasional sharp pebble at speed are fairly high. There is minimal tarmac (less than 10km).

I'm looking for recommendations for a tire that is reasonably quick (and hence efficient) but hardy enough to stand a good chance of getting me round an event like this without puncture issues. It goes without saying I'll be running tubeless, and I'd be looking to run ~40c width.

What are people's go-to for events like this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jemima

by jemima

Perhaps an IRC Boken up front.
ReneHerse filetread in Endurance casing rear, if enough grip for climbing any steeper stuff.
Curve Grovel ti.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

I highly recommend the Continental Terra Speed. I run the 40mm version and it's fast and durable on all kinds of terrain but you could run the 35mm and be fine if you don't need that extra volume.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

Broady

by Broady

Dirty Reiver? I ran Maxxis Rambler 45s this year, was probably a good shout as the weather was biblical. I may change to something a bit smoother if the forecast looks good next year, I have some Pathfinder Pro 42s which I reckon would be well suited.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Broady wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:06 pm
Dirty Reiver? I ran Maxxis Rambler 45s this year, was probably a good shout as the weather was biblical. I may change to something a bit smoother if the forecast looks good next year, I have some Pathfinder Pro 42s which I reckon would be well suited.
Yep, DR :-)

I'm not *too* worried about the distance (it won't be easy but I've done the Fred Whitton and the Etape du Dales before in reasonable times) but getting a reliable and fast setup for somewhat unfamiliar terrain is something I'm thinking about.

Come to think of it, it's probably best to have a 'wet' option and a 'dry' option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Broady

by Broady

I was hoping to do the 200 this year but ended up tapping out after the 130, freezing wind and rain was not enjoyable though it did make me aware of gaps in my wardrobe that needed filling! It's a sweet event regardless with some lovely trails and a great variety of surfaces.

There was guys doing it on 25mm road tyres, absolute masochists.