Centerlock lockring

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Baleli

by Baleli

I've never used centerlock disc brakes before so this question might be silly...
But can I use a shimano lockring on sram centerlock discs?? Or is it not safe/not compatible??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

The answer may depend on the type of hubs on your wheelset. Older DT Swiss thru-axle centerlock hubs have clearnace issues with the splines of Shimano lockrings. Take the following which is excerpted from the shimano centerlock lockring thread.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:53 pm
cure wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:44 pm
oh nice, thanks so much. i saw this post:

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=158166&sid=cefda5 ... 5&start=15

shows the internal not fitting the standard cassette tool. was there a sizing problem with tool or part? or is is a special shimano tool i'm missing?
Many front hubs are designed for 15mm thru-axle compatibility, then adapted/converted down to 12mm. For a while hub manufacturers overlooked this when designing their front hub endcaps, making them too big for the diameter of the cassette tool. This happened to me with my White Industries CLD front hubs. They sent me what were "prototype" axle/endcaps at the time with some extra material machined away.

This won't be an issue with rear hubs since everything is standardized on 12mm.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Discodan

by Discodan

I think the intent of the OP question was about mixing lockring brands, Shimano and SRAM. The answer is yes on that one but don't use cassette lockrings as I believe they are different. The Shimano tool should work but as ms6073 pointed out some tools don't have the clearance with some hubs so you have to use a different tool or an external spline lockring that uses a standard Shimano bottom bracket wrench to tighten

PeytonM

by PeytonM

My giant Tcx with rival (sram) came with shimano lock rings from factory. I find it amusing they would fit shimano parts to an otherwise sram build. I guess it's what giant had on hand.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

PeytonM wrote:My giant Tcx with rival (sram) came with shimano lock rings from factory. I find it amusing they would fit shimano parts to an otherwise sram build. I guess it's what giant had on hand.
Sram discs dont come with lockrings