Gravel chainrings

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

pb85

by pb85

Hi guys, I want to ask about your experience of gravel racing. I'm going to use my Boone cx bike 1x in summer season in gravel races ( in my area is rather flat with shorter stiff climbs). I like shorter faster races instead of long 100km++. Some of races I took part last season avarage speed was almost 35km/h (60-80 km distance) and with 1x 42t wasn't very comfortabel for me. I'm planning to instal double chainring for Sram Red axs arms. I have new chainrings 48/35 and cassete 10-36. Isn't it to hard? :noidea: I'm about 4,8 w/kg. What do you think? ( I am sorry for my english :oops: )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maurice1

by maurice1

Notably missing the max gradient you usually encounter, but if you are doing 5w/kg in a flat region I'm not worried for you with a sub 1:1 ratio

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

If you want easier gears, GRX 2x is available in 48/31. That solves a lot of problems.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Lurker123

by Lurker123

I'm in a similar boat with regard to w/kg and topography and 1x 48/10-36 is aqequate for racing, but too hard for training. However with 2x in the small ring 35/10-36 will be plenty for the occasional steep hill you encounter on a training ride. I'm sure you could find some ridiculously short and loose climb where you may want something easier on a training ride, but I'm of the opinion you shouldnt spec your drivetrain around what you need 0.1% of the time. I doubt you'll use the small ring in races

pb85

by pb85

Finally my friend bought my 48/35 chainring and I ordered 46/33 on black friday sales. I believe this set is the most universal...hopefully :noidea: . Thank's for your support :beerchug: