Any wide but light 650b rims available or projected?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

satanas

by satanas

FWIW, I'm thiking of something like the i29-30mm 3T, Light Bicycle or Nextie 700c gravel wheels/rims, but in 650b to make clearance, fit and bikepacking gearing easier to accomplish. These i29-30 rims fit 32mm tyres upwards, versus 28-50mm (recommended width) for the current i25 LB rims. I don't suppose the world would end with ~55mm tyres on i25 rims, but a bit wider ought to be more aero with 32s and support wider tyres better.

There are light MTB rims, but these are pretty much all hookless, so aren't likely to tolerate narrower tyres at higher pressures for road use; I'd like to be able to do both, without needing two sets of wheels when travelling - an impossibility. The MTB rims are also asymmetrical and non-aero in profile.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Putting road tyres on 650b rims will result in BB being very low - not sure if you have checked pedal to ground clearance?

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

satanas

by satanas

^ This would be a new frame with less BB drop, so normal (for me) BB height with 30/32 Conti GP5000 S TR, and higher BB with wider tyres for gravel/fire trails, etc.