Winspace G2 Build

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Mrs. Gib rides gravel perhaps 10X per year. She had been using her Focus Paralane, but it normally serves as her wet road bike. I decided it was too much trouble to keeping removing and re-installing fenders. Considering I had a spare Sram Red groupset, mtb derailleurs, a set of Juin Tech F1's, etc., in a drawer, plus a nice gravel wheelset, why not just find a frame to hang the parts on. So, a search for a gravel frameset that would fit (525mm stack and max reach of 365mm) was undertaken. While some mainstream and high-end brands might have had frames that fit, this was a budget build. There is very limited choice in super small bikes in the $1000 - $1500 range, with the Windspace G2 the clear winner for its geometry.

The obligatory box shot. Two weeks from order to delivery. At the door no taxes – just $40 brokerage!!! Carefully guarded. Don't even think about it - running would be futile. Second guard in the background is on a break.

Mrs. Gib even contributed to the process – she chose the colour – pebble grey. And proudly wearing a made in China label. What’s strange is that it means pretty much the same thing as made in Italy :-? .

Paint and some resin overlapping the brake mounts. Fork was worse than rear. Sorted the rear with some careful file work to reveal a well faced surface. Interestingly, I mounted the front caliper right over the paint and it was dead square.

The bottom bracket window – these guides run full length and are attached to the entry grommets at the front of the frame. Without them, threading cables would be a serious challenge. A note about the bottom bracket shell – again too much paint overlap, and again, careful file work revealed a nicely prepped surface.

Heavy duty rubber protector (wildly out of focus) for the bottom of the dropped chain stay. An excellent touch not mentioned on the website, and not seen in various G2 build videos. Well done Winspace

This thing is covered in mounts. An adventure bikers dream.

Some of the mounts have bolts installed, others are just open threads – that’s not good, could end up full of crap and corroded. So added a touch of class while I was filling holes.

Here’s a problem. Clearance with 48/32 chainrings on road crank is basically nothing. Winspace sells one of their builds with Shimano 105 50/34 crankset. I call BS. Not good. Gravel crank on the way.

Another issue. Space for the rear tire is limited on the size XS. Winspace was very clear about this. Still it’s a dumb design. The slightest reconfiguration of the top section of the seat stays would solve the issue. Whereas all other size can take 50mm plus, Winspace says 35mm max for the rear of the XS. The tire in the pic measures almost 38mm. 40mm should be fine. Not concerned as Mrs.Gib walks at the first sign of technical terrain anyway. She refuses to mountain bike – says it is exactly the same as hiking except that you are also carrying a bike :D .

Cable mayhem. But it’s how it must be. Note the Campagnolo barrel adjuster – best of it’s type IMO. Necessary as the RD has no barrel adjuster. Also, note the crossing of the shifter cables in front of the head tube (I like to cross the streams :D ). Remember those cable guides, they had to switch sides to accomplish this. Very difficult task because they were attached to grommets that could not be switched. But with such a short stem, the cables simply cannot handle the tight bends required if they are to enter the same side of the frame as the shifter. And they would rub on the headtube. Still, my advice with regard to the G2 would be leave the guides as is and route cables accordingly on a larger frame size with a longer stem.

Wheels are WR36 on some older Industry Nine torch 2:1 hubs, CXray, brass nipples. Bearings replaced with SKF. A really gorgeous wheelset.

Sram XX RD with 11-36 cassette. Shifters are original Sram Red 10 speed that had been sitting in a drawer for at least 10 years. Crank is temporarily Praxis Alba, but will be replaced with Sram Rival Wide 43/30.

Full build

Final verdict is that I am very please with the Windspace G2. Even with the minor problems, the basics (alignment, tolerances etc.) required for a problem free build ranged from acceptable to very good. As for how it rides, I’ll never know. What I do know is that it is damn stiff. I tried making the chainring contact the chainstay by wrapping my hands around the crank arm and chainstay and squeezing – didn’t move at all. Twisting the bars only flexed the bars – the fork is dead solid.

Aesthetically the shape is a bit weird but still attractive. The colour is excellent. Paint quality seems very high. Metallic silver graphics are very classy. Oddly I am not as repulsed by all the mounts as I thought I'd be. :noidea:

Sorry no weights. Too impatient.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Such a shame on the seatstays! WTF are they thinking for a contemporary frame?

Paint issues are par at that price point.

Otherwise looks like a very nice garvel ride.
Congrats on using mech shifters, yay! :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The lack of clearance at the rear of the XS is due to Winspace prioritizing geometry. Winspace for whatever reason insisted on scaling down the rear end on the smaller size to maintain certain handling characteristics in the smallest size. In their defence, if someone riding an XS really needs huge tires, than just downsize the wheels. Room for any tire you want in that case. Lots of gravel bikes set up with 650b.

From my perspective, we didn't have a choice. Fit rules all. And I hold to the theory that a 48kg rider on a 38mm has the same riding experence as a 80 kg rider on 45mm. Made this up, no idea if there is any real basis to support this, but it sounds nice.

Yeah, must say I don't mind the mechanical shifters for this application. I am always concerned with internal routing as you can get some excess cable drag. But on the G2, or at least on this particular build, the shifting is very smooth. Same with the brakes. Lever feel and lever return on cable pull discs can be awful, but again, it feels surprisingly smooth on this build. Light action with good lever return.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Baleli

by Baleli

Very nice bike you put together there:)
Hey I also just bought the G2 frame, I'm still waiting for the groupset though...
I never did a build with internal cable routing, so I wanted to ask where i have to rout the rear brake hose through??
Through the holes in the metal Bottom Bracket shell/area or above or below the metal BB shell??
Would appreciate some advicel/help.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

IMO the easiest way to route a rear hose is to just shove it in the chainstay port and keep pushing. It will pass under the bottom bracket and find its way up the downtube. With the downtube grommet removed it is easy to fish the hose out of downtube and pull it through to complete the routing. That's how I did it on this bike. I have routed rear hoses from the front on occasion, but mostly with frames that have open bb shells so you can get your fingers in there to guide the hose into the chain stay. IIRC, the G2 has a solid alloy sleeve in the bb shell.

Baleli

by Baleli

Tanks for the info!
So I'll pass the hose under the alloy sleeve, did I get that right?? Or through the sleeve and under the bottom bracket?😅 I didn't look jet if it would even pass under the alloy sleeve.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Baleli wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:04 am
Tanks for the info!
So I'll pass the hose under the alloy sleeve, did I get that right?? Or through the sleeve and under the bottom bracket?😅 I didn't look jet if it would even pass under the alloy sleeve.
If it's like my Winspace SLC Disc just push the hose into the chainstay and it'll come out at the downtube as the OP said. No need to worry too much about it.

Great build, it looks like 650b wheels would allow for wider tyres but you had a good set of wheels to use already so no sense in buying more wheels.

Looks like there was enough space from the hole in the chainstay to the caliper so it wasn't too awkward to use cable disc brakes.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Baleli wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:04 am
Tanks for the info!
Under the sleeve - I think the sleeve is solid so the hose will not be passing through it.
CampagYOLO wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:52 am
Great build, it looks like 650b wheels would allow for wider tyres but you had a good set of wheels to use already so no sense in buying more wheels.

Looks like there was enough space from the hole in the chainstay to the caliper so it wasn't too awkward to use cable disc brakes.
Yes, if you need big tires on the size XS, then 650b would be required. In the case of Mrs. Gib, 35mm (37mm WAM) is almost overkill. Our regular routes are mostly very smooth packed dirt roads, groomed gravel trails, etc. And there is room in the front for any tire you desire.

Indeed this bike works nicely with cable actuated disc brakes. The lever action is really clean - no drag at all. In fact everything seemed to work out perfectly with this build. A few hundred km on this bike now and it seems without fault. Even the freaky drivetrain - 12 speed crank (Sram Rival wide), 11 speed chain, 10 speed cassette. Flawless shifting and silence in every gear except small/small where the wide 11 speed chain rubs ever so slightly on the inside of the big ring due to the angle. But doesn't catch on the teeth which can be really bad. Now have it fitted with fenders for the wet season and that worked out perfectly as well with the nicely situated mounts. In the final analysis I would have trouble justifying several thousands of dollars for a gravel frame when this gem is about a grand.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com