New gravel bike - which groupset?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

slippy

by slippy

Buying a new gravel bike is the plan.
Red AXS xplr is an outgoing model as far as I've gathered. That makes me less inclined to buy it.
GRX di2 is an outgoing model as far as I've gathered. That makes me less inclined to buy it. I do like 2x for gravel though.

Top level carbon is not available with Force.

What would you do?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

forklifter

by forklifter

Did you check SRAM Mullet options?
Thats the way to go for new project.

Red XPLR much too expensive in comparison with Force. Probably prices drop after new Red launch. Whenever that will be

jayjay

by jayjay

How about Sram Force?

slippy

by slippy

I'm buying a complete bike, hence no option to change stuff around.
Force is not an alternative because of the top carbon frame is not available with Force. Otherwise that would've been my pick.

So. Expensive SRAM red xplr that's due for an upgrade or less expensive GRX di2 that's due for an upgrade...oh what a joy.

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

slippy wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:49 pm
I'm buying a complete bike, hence no option to change stuff around.
Force is not an alternative because of the top carbon frame is not available with Force. Otherwise that would've been my pick.

So. Expensive SRAM red xplr that's due for an upgrade or less expensive GRX di2 that's due for an upgrade...oh what a joy.
What's forcing you to buy a complete bike if its obvious that you'd have to compromise on groupset?

Just buy the nice frame you want, slap Rival/Apex XPLR on it for the time being if you have to have the bike now (or mechanical GRX if it will allow) and upgrade to whatever groupset you like in the future, simples.

The you get alllll the choice over your components.

No point buying Red or GRX at the moment.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

what about the out-going red or GRX is truning you off? Just that fact that it won't be the newest of new-new?

slippy

by slippy

The fact that I'll be spending a bunch of money on something that _might_ be lacking features of the next groupset. Silly I guess.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Assuming that GRX Di2 has the same features as the new mechanical GRX then you certainly gain a lot of gearing range which may or may not appeal to the OP. If electronic shifting was essential to me then I'd wait for the new one.

Ekar not an option with this bike?

Otherwise I'd second the frameset and Force option if you must get a new gravel bike now. That gives you the flexibility to go XPLR or Mullet depending on how much range you want and also wireless = easy build.

stoney

by stoney

Yep...get the expensive frame and build it up.

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

As Red ist a little outdated, just get Force levers and Red cranks. So, you'll have the weight of Red without the pricetag.

Kristof047

by Kristof047

Current Red has connections for wired blips (smaller and no disposable battery), backwards compatibility with 11-speed, the new vs old shape is a personal thing what fits you best (I have both old Force and new Rival). So unless they introduce new features not yet in the new Force, I do not see them necessarily as an upgrade, apart from being the latest.

Don't know about crank and derailleurs as I have no experience with them.

robertbb

by robertbb

There will be a new "second" switch button at the top of the lever on the SRAM Red update.

(at least, so say the leaked pics and patent drawings)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com