34t or 36t chainring for GRX inner

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Not even sure anybody makes this. But I'm looking for either a 34t or 36t inner chainring for GRX, so 80 BCD. Basically I'm trying to recreate the 46/36 cross chainrings on GRX. I already own the 46/30 crankset with a left sided power meter. 46/30 is great for gravel but I want a bigger inner ring for CX. And I know I could just buy the 46/36 crankset but I'd also need it but a power meter which adds more cost. I also have the GRX front derailleur which might not work with normal Shimano cranks. So if I could find a bigger inner ring, I could save a ton of money and hassle.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I don't think anyone makes that. Best I've been able to find is a Shimano and Rotor 31t, but I doubt that's worth the cost.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:51 pm
I don't think anyone makes that. Best I've been able to find is a Shimano and Rotor 31t, but I doubt that's worth the cost.
I found a 32t. It would be better than 31t I guess.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

30 to 32, I think, is close enough to the 34t you were looking for, but it depends on the price, I would think. Also, you can try to sell your PM and that way, recuperate some of the cost of the new crank, which is what I would do.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:32 pm
30 to 32, I think, is close enough to the 34t you were looking for, but it depends on the price, I would think. Also, you can try to sell your PM and that way, recuperate some of the cost of the new crank, which is what I would do.
36 is what I would love, so yea the 32 is a good bit smaller. I'm curious if the GRX FD would work with regular Shimano cranks. Maybe use a spacer to push it outboard.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

satanas

by satanas

You could quite possibly remove the 80 BCD inner ring + bolts + spacers and use a 36T 110 BCD inner with something like the Sugino bolts and spacers intended for their 110/74 double cranks with larger inners (#801):

https://www.suginoltd.co.jp/us/products ... Parts.html

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this so can't guarantee it.

Or you could use the LH GRX power meter crank with a road crankset. It wouldn't match but should be okay otherwise.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

satanas wrote:You could quite possibly remove the 80 BCD inner ring + bolts + spacers and use a 36T 110 BCD inner with something like the Sugino bolts and spacers intended for their 110/74 double cranks with larger inners (#801):

Or you could use the LH GRX power meter crank with a road crankset. It wouldn't match but should be okay otherwise.
The BCD on the chainset is 80mm and you’re proposing fitting a chainring with a totally different BCD. How on earth would that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

I use Sram Force axs DUB 12s crankset with quarq powermeter and 35/48 chainrings together with 11s shimano grx derailleurs, shimano chain and casette. Works perfect!

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

satanas wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:41 am
You could quite possibly remove the 80 BCD inner ring + bolts + spacers and use a 36T 110 BCD inner with something like the Sugino bolts and spacers intended for their 110/74 double cranks with larger inners (#801):

That actually crossed my mind but I wasn't sure there were spacers that would work.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

ultimobici wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:15 pm
satanas wrote:You could quite possibly remove the 80 BCD inner ring + bolts + spacers and use a 36T 110 BCD inner with something like the Sugino bolts and spacers intended for their 110/74 double cranks with larger inners (#801):

The BCD on the chainset is 80mm and you’re proposing fitting a chainring with a totally different BCD. How on earth would that work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GRX cranks have an 80 BCD inner and 110 BCD outer. So the idea is that instead of using the 80 BCD, you just use the 110 BCD for both and use a spacer in between the rings.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR