Another new wheel standard to moan about, 750d.🙄

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

satanas

by satanas

WTB said it won't happen unless they get OEM orders, so with any luck it'll just die quietly...

FreaK

by FreaK

I don't see how a bike can be sized right for the vast majority of people when the wheels are larger than the average standover clearance most people need. Sure, slight rolling resistance benefit, but literally everything else worse.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

ah yes, the reality of standards, bell curves and marketing.

a standard forms, often arbetrary. many produce it... competition drives down price, quality goes up. some companies cant compete so they "innovate" and make a new standard, hoping it sticks. maybe it is better, maybe it is not.

maurice1

by maurice1

I don't really understand the skepticism about this. There are so many worse proprietary gimmicks that I don't see enough push against, yet bigger wheels have potential to change geometry and handling.
Yes, this introduces incompatibilities but I don't believe one unique wheel size to be optimal for everyone between 150 to 210cm.
If anything, I'm a little bummed 650 is not that big of a difference over 700, but I would welcome experimentation on new sizes to fit the smallest and biggest frame sizes :)