Sram apex bb30 to gxp crankset - bb solution?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

pmprego

by pmprego

My wife has a decatlhon frame that with almost certainty has a bb30 standard - currently has a praxis subcompact crankset which from my online search points to the bb30 standard.

I bough a sram apex hrd groupset with a GXP crankset for another purpose but she already said that she would like to keep it (the 1x appeal).

Now...my issue:
- is there a bb that will make the conversion from bb30 to gxp? If it exists, is there any downside?
- if not, can I use a sram apex dub 12spd and use it in an 11spd system? What are the downsides of this option?

Many thanks!

Ps: I found this: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/praxis- ... om-bracket

From what I read is specifically made to allow a bb30 frame to run gxp crankset. I guess this is what I'm searching. Any downsides to using this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritxis

by Ritxis

that one from Praxis is correct.......the only thing that puts in the description BB30/PF30 ??? and BB30 is a frame with 68x42 and PF30 68x46

if the frame is BB30 there are adapters for GXP...I used to mount some from Wheelsmfg, for RED GXP on a Felt Z frame with BB30

are placed on BB30 bearings https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/b ... ranks.html

https://wheelsmfg.com/tech/PDF/BB30-SRAM_ASSEM.pdf

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

pmprego wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:27 pm
My wife has a decatlhon frame that with almost certainty has a bb30 standard - currently has a praxis subcompact crankset which from my online search points to the bb30 standard.
I don't think you are understanding the Praxis spec correctly. Praxis has their own standard known as M30, but this only defines the size of the spindle i.e. the inside of the bottom bracket. Praxis makes bottom brackets for M30 cranks for all types of frames: BSA, BB86, T47 I.B, T47 E.B, BB30, PF30, 386EVO and BBRight. If you don't know what kind of bottom bracket your frame has, I'd never guess on BB30. Much more likely to be BSA or BB86, or possibly PF30 or 386EVO.

Also why change the crank at all? Better to keep the Praxis and just swap in a narrow-wide chainring. Apex is SRAM's lowest tier and probably heavier than the Praxis crank, and more of a hassle to deal with bottom bracket swap etc. (especially if the frame against odds does turn out to be BB30).

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

pmprego wrote:
Not necessarily - the Praxis cranks will work in just about anything. It could be just about any type of bottom bracket. What is the bike? I'd be surprised if a modern bike from a budget brand was using BB30 - it's quite uncommon these days.

pmprego

by pmprego

So...i created some confusion. I myself was confused. I though bb30 and pf30 were the same.

The wife's bike is a decatlhon alum frame: https://www.decathlon.pt/p/bicicleta-de ... QIEALw_wcB

(it's in Portuguese)

I measured the bottom of the frame and it is 68mm length. After looking carefully at the bb, I got the impression that it might be threaded praxis bb (it has grooves for a key to grab and tighten).

I bought a sram apex 1x gruppo to a Bike of myself. The crank in the package was a GXP one. In the meantime, the wife asked for the 1x to go to her bike. So now I'm trying to figure out how can I move her 105 mechanical disc gruppo to my bike and the apex to her bike. The main problem is that the specs details of the decatlhon products are very hard to find.

I wasn't able to find any 38/40t chainring for that praxis Works Alba M30 sub-compact crank. It seems to be a discontinued product (decatlhon usually finds good prices on older components). If someone has a link for a 38/40t chainring and make that crankset a 1x that would be sweet!

My bike (actually just a frame right now) is a giant defy with a pf86 bb. That I know for sure.

pmprego

by pmprego

MayhemSWE wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:23 pm
pmprego wrote:
I don't think you are understanding the Praxis spec correctly. Praxis has their own standard known as M30, but this only defines the size of the spindle i.e. the inside of the bottom bracket. Praxis makes bottom brackets for M30 cranks for all types of frames: BSA, BB86, T47 I.B, T47 E.B, BB30, PF30, 386EVO and BBRight. If you don't know what kind of bottom bracket your frame has, I'd never guess on BB30. Much more likely to be BSA or BB86, or possibly PF30 or 386EVO.

Also why change the crank at all? Better to keep the Praxis and just swap in a narrow-wide chainring. Apex is SRAM's lowest tier and probably heavier than the Praxis crank, and more of a hassle to deal with bottom bracket swap etc. (especially if the frame against odds does turn out to be BB30).
Would this work: https://www.bike24.com/p2317356.html??

From what I've read for this praxis Works M30 sub-compact crank, it is a 110bcd standard. I searched for narrow wide 110bcd chainrings and I got that result (among some others). The praxis crank is a 5 bolt pattern. Actually, such a solution would be perfect at very levels - in one go and I would solve my wife's bike chainring issue and also my own defy frame for which I'd use the sram apex gxp that I got.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

pmprego wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:46 pm

From what I've read for this praxis Works M30 sub-compact crank, it is a 110bcd standard. I searched for narrow wide 110bcd chainrings and I got that result (among some others). The praxis crank is a 5 bolt pattern. Actually, such a solution would be perfect at very levels - in one go and I would solve my wife's bike chainring issue and also my own defy frame for which I'd use the sram apex gxp that I got.
Yes, should work. You probably will need to get a set of shorter chainring bolts though, or a set of washers to compensate for the second chainring you're getting rid of.

pmprego

by pmprego

MayhemSWE wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:09 pm
pmprego wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:46 pm

Yes, should work. You probably will need to get a set of shorter chainring bolts though, or a set of washers to compensate for the second chainring you're getting rid of.
Many thanks. This info just made my day!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com