2023 Niner RLT-9 Frameset weights (Aluminum / Alloy) - Actual

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

TrackSmart

by TrackSmart

For the newest version of the Niner RLT-9 frameset, I couldn't find a reliable source for frame weight on the web, so I thought I'd add this post to the forums. It's often impossible to know what the frameset weight includes when people do post it (thru axles? headset? bolts? etc). Weight wasn't a major concern for this utilitarian build, but old habits die hard, so I got out my scale when it arrived.

I purchased a size 50cm Niner RLT frameset (Aluminum / Alloy) in the current Baha Blue color. Link: https://www.ninerbikes.com/rlt-9-frameset/ The paint job looks fantastic in person, assuming you don't mind something with a bright pop of color. Despite building this as a parts-bin special for commuting and touring/bikepacking, I get tons of compliments on the bike due to the paintwork.

Niner is currently clearing these out at $599 delivered (no sales tax and free shipping in my case). That's direct from the company, which is less than anywhere else I've seen online. If you have a coupon code, you could be talking about ~$500 delivered. So if you have an aversion to sketchy no-name carbon frames, and want something sturdy with a lifetime frame warranty, it's a good pick for the price. Just don't expect it to compete with full carbon for weight or ride comfort.

Overall impressions: Beautiful frameset with a striking paint job. The aluminum welds are chunky and catepillar-like, as apparent on the photos from the product page, but they don't bother me. The ride is fairly stiff (both frame and fork), but the frameset feels totally solid when loaded with panniers for commuting or with bags for bikepacking. It's built to meet mountain bike standards for strength, so should be pretty bombproof.

Other notes:
- There are tons of mounts for just about any possible usage.
- Tire clearance is generous. Just for kicks, I temporarily mounted my 650B wheels with 2.2-inch MTB tires and they definitely fit with a few mm to spare, though there was not a lot of clearance for mud or debris. I'd say 650B x 2.1 inch tires that are true-to-size (i.e. not larger than stated) would be the maximum safe tire size for everyday riding. I would only ride the 2.2's in dry weather.
- PF30 Bottom Bracket Standard will be devisive for some. That said, this was perfect for me, since I was reusing old parts from the BB30/PF30 era and have all the tools needed. I can change out one of those bottom brackets in about 10 minutes and they can be cheaply obtained. I used a Rotor PF4630 bottom bracket w/ plastic sleeve, which is lightweight (75g) and extremely cheap for the OEM versions found on Ebay.

Okay, the data: actual weights on fairly accurate scale

1611 g = Bare frame plus rear derailleur hanger, 50cm size. [Not included in this weight: bottle cage bolts, luggage-mounting bolts, seatpost collar, thru axles, headset, bottom bracket, etc]

588 g = Uncut fork, bare. 551g after cutting about 11.5 cm. Note: I removed the steel luggage mounting bolts before weighing.

21 g = Seatpost collar

69 g = Headset

45 g = stock fork compression plug with a place to put a bottle cap for decoration (I replaced this with a 16g Cannondale compression plug that I had already).

6 g = Misc small parts (plugs and guides for cables).

72 g = Both thru axles. 42g rear, 31g front. Shockingly light for OEM stuff, though weirdly these bolt on using the opposite side of the axle compared to what you would expect, so you need to turn your 6mm hex in the "wrong direction" to secure them.

58g = total weight of all the many, many bolts that came with the frame and fork. Interestingly, the bottle bolts provided are aluminum (light). The rest of the bolts are steel, which is appropriate for their usage (mounting things to the frame that might weigh more than a water bottle).

Weight weenie tip: Plastic M5 bolts work well as "plugs" for the dozens of mounting holes on modern gravel frames and forks and they weigh almost nothing (3 bolts = 1 g) and cost almost nothing. This should be obvious, but you should not actually use plastic bolts to secure anything! I happened to have a package of 100 sitting around, so I used them in places where I don't plan to actually mount anything.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jjames0302

by jjames0302

I have been looking at that same Niner frame....curious where you found some extra discounts....

TrackSmart

by TrackSmart

jjames0302 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:52 am
I have been looking at that same Niner frame....curious where you found some extra discounts....
Somehow I didn't get an email about your reply. Sorry! The discount code is long dead at this point. I'm not sure if you pulled the trigger, but even without any extra discount, at the current $599 sale price (delivered to your door and no tax in many states), it's a solid frameset for the price, and not from a fly-by-night company. I'm very happy with it. I'm enjoying this budget build far more than I expected.