Size up for flat bars

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

BobbyAamand

by BobbyAamand

What is the consensus for sizing frames with flat bars? Do you size up compared to drop bars?

I want to add a new bike to the fleet and am thinking flat bars and pedals for the versatility and to convince myself of the need for another bike :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goatalope

by goatalope

It makes sense to size up. I've generally been alright just putting on a longer stem on my size frame. Usually the flat bars are wider so it evens out. But if you still want to be in an aggressive position, you'd likely need to size up.

Also, all these new gravel geometry bikes have long top tubes. Like a 56 went from a 56 top tube to like a 580 or 590. I guess the shorter stem and bars shorten it up. I do think it'd be fun to take a gravel bike and make a flat bar, 50 mm travel gravel bike. Pretty much a early 90s mtb.

goatalope

by goatalope

It makes sense to size up. I've generally been alright just putting on a longer stem on my size frame. Usually the flat bars are wider so it evens out. But if you still want to be in an aggressive position, you'd likely need to size up.

Also, all these new gravel geometry bikes have long top tubes. Like a 56 went from a 56 top tube to like a 580 or 590. I guess the shorter stem and bars shorten it up. I do think it'd be fun to take a gravel bike and make a flat bar, 50 mm travel gravel bike. Pretty much a early 90s mtb.

BobbyAamand

by BobbyAamand

I used to ride this Pelago Hanko back in the day and the fit was pretty good with 25mm spacers, a 90mm stem and relatively straight bars.

I'm looking at the Surly Midnight Special it seems like a cool frame and I could always get a carbon fork. I also like the idea of being able to change it up to a drop bar setup at a later date. I'm torn between size 54 and 56. I'm pretty sure that the 54 would be a good fit for a drop bar setup. The fork rake also changes from 50 to 40 when you size up to 56, so it will be more difficult to find a suitable carbon replacement.

The 54 is pretty close to the Hanko so on paper it should fit well https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geomet ... 00179be295,

So the 54 seems to be the more versatile size. I'm 173cm with a wingspan of 170cm and 82cm inseam so I think I could make both sizes work with flatbars.

By the way. I know the Surly is heavy and all. But I want to be able to double as a dad bike as well.