Microshift Sword 2x Crankset Q Factor

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

DirtiousDirte

by DirtiousDirte

Anyone have any idea on the q factor for the new MicroSHIFT Sword 2x Crankset?

I have a 105 crank power meter and it would be convenient if I could swap it over.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by DirtiousDirte on Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

Looks like an absolute copy of GRX 600 crank.....

DirtiousDirte

by DirtiousDirte

robertbb wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:57 pm
Yeah that is what I figured but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask just in case

robertbb

by robertbb

DirtiousDirte wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:52 am
robertbb wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:57 pm
Yeah that is what I figured but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask just in case
Email them and ask... then update this thread so the answer lives into eternity.

satanas

by satanas

Are you thinking of just swapping the LH crank? If so, what matters is whether the splines on the crank and spindle are compatible between Shimano and Microshift, not the Q factor. (The Q would be interesting though.)

DirtiousDirte

by DirtiousDirte

satanas wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:32 am
Are you thinking of just swapping the LH crank? If so, what matters is whether the splines on the crank and spindle are compatible between Shimano and Microshift, not the Q factor. (The Q would be interesting though.)
From what I've read the splines/interface is the same so the crank arm would swap over.

I'm currently using an old 130bcd dura-ace crank on my cross bike and a newer 105 on my road bike. Right now I can swap the LH crank arm with the power meter.

The q factor is the same between the dura-ace and the 105 but I know the grx crank has a wider q factor.

I want a crank with the same q factor but I'm also cheap at this stage in life. :D

satanas

by satanas

There's no reason why you can't use a road (= lower Q) LH crank with GRX, assuming it will clear the chainstay. The cranks don't necessarily have to be symmetrical, and weren't generally so until circa 1990. In my case it helps to keep the LHS Q down due to an old break which didn't set straight, but YMMV.

DirtiousDirte

by DirtiousDirte

satanas wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:26 am
There's no reason why you can't use a road (= lower Q) LH crank with GRX, assuming it will clear the chainstay. The cranks don't necessarily have to be symmetrical, and weren't generally so until circa 1990. In my case it helps to keep the LHS Q down due to an old break which didn't set straight, but YMMV.
Interesting.

I figured it was best to do so for bike fit and just general symmetry, but interesting to hear it was always that way. I suppose realistically a few millimeters probaby wouldn't be noticeable.

DirtiousDirte

by DirtiousDirte

Here is the reply from microShift:

"Thank you for reaching out! The SWORD cranks have a Q factor of 152. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you!

All the best,

Will"

satanas

by satanas

^ Did you happen to ask whether the axle/crankarm splines were Shimano compatible? (I'm just curious, but asume they won't be unless proven otherwise.)

robertbb

by robertbb

satanas wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:08 am
^ Did you happen to ask whether the axle/crankarm splines were Shimano compatible? (I'm just curious, but asume they won't be unless proven otherwise.)
They aren't compatible with shimano rings without without modifying the rings or the crank. Russ @ Path Less Pedaled goes into this.

DirtiousDirte

by DirtiousDirte

robertbb wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:29 am
satanas wrote:
They aren't compatible with shimano rings without without modifying the rings or the crank. Russ @ Path Less Pedaled goes into this.
https://youtu.be/VLTQaX7JDRg

That the link to Path Less Pedaled video re. The rings

From what I've read on a variety of websites I got the impression the spindle splines would be compatible but I can fire off another email to microShift and post here.

DirtiousDirte

by DirtiousDirte

DirtiousDirte wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:06 am
robertbb wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:29 am
satanas wrote:
https://youtu.be/VLTQaX7JDRg

That the link to Path Less Pedaled video re. The rings

From what I've read on a variety of websites I got the impression the spindle splines would be compatible but I can fire off another email to microShift and post here.
https://youtu.be/cVawvurHIrk

Clearly I'm a bit of a clown.

Installation video from microShift CLEARLY shows the spindle interface would not work.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time with my cheapness!

Hah!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alphaphoenix

by alphaphoenix

Anyone else waiting for the Sword front derailleur to be in stock? It appears to be unavailable in the States. Even reached out to a few shops in Taiwan and got nothing. That's the only component to complete my 2x Sword setup on my son's bike. Demand must be very high?