2024 Canyon Grail

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

maurice1

by maurice1

How normal is that fork? Standard bearings yet?
Happy for the swatbox but I don't see it. is it in the downtube a la diverge/domane/terra/melee? all gravel bikes should come with storage options anyway

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

I think those Acros bearings are set forever in Canyon bikes.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

maurice1 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 12:48 pm
How normal is that fork? Standard bearings yet?
Happy for the swatbox but I don't see it. is it in the downtube a la diverge/domane/terra/melee? all gravel bikes should come with storage options anyway
Box is shown in position above the downtube bottle mount in one of the picts, which IMO is a better place so it doesn't need to support the weight/movement of a water bottle and cage. However might require more carbon since it's near a load point at the junction of DT and HT

Looks like the cable management is similar to others where the upper and lower HS are 1.5", wit top cap having channels to route cables.

As for weight, Enve MOG is claimed 950 for frame with the metal inserts at the BB for bsa and for the storage door under the bottle cage. Canyon with probably stick with their pressfit, and also will probably have Sram UDH since you can adapt it to use any drivetrain.

Very excited for this, as others mentioned it seems to tick all the boxes for a modern fast gravel frame
-internal storage
-TT mounts
-internal routing not through HS bearings
-standard(ish) fork steerer tube
-sharper handling fork
This last one based of guess from images. The top of the fork looks like it has very limited space above the tire, so the axle to crown might be closer to the shorter gravel forks like the No6 or Columbus

robbosmans

by robbosmans

It does have headset cablerouting

henau212

by henau212

Even more pics here:https://off.road.cc/content/news/spotte ... rail-12595
- D-shape seatpost for whatever reason :sick:
- does not look like massive tire clearance at the back wheel (40mm max?), but hard to tell from the pictures

stoney

by stoney

henau212 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:59 pm
- does not look like massive tire clearance at the back wheel (40mm max?), but hard to tell from the pictures
That's a no, no. Modern gravel bikes should have room for a 45-47mm tire.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

robbosmans wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 4:24 pm
It does have headset cablerouting
Ahh yeah you're correct, it's gonna be through the bearing most likely.
stoney wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 11:22 pm
henau212 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:59 pm
That's a no, no. Modern gravel bikes should have room for a 45-47mm tire.
Can't tell squat from any of the available pics, so decrying a lack of tire clearance is premature. The tire looks like a G-One Overland, which comes in 40,45,50. so that doesn't help with guessing max size the frame would fit.

Also the d-shaped seatpost helps in two regards:
1-Ensures saddle alignment
2-Can be designed to provide more flex than a similar diameter round seatpost
2a-If designed correctly the frame can have the option of running the D-Shaped seatpost or a standard round one with correct shim/wedge

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ 2a is super important... 27.2 dropper heaven
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

London9921

by London9921

It's surely a decent bike but aesthetically not so pleasing. The disproportionate size difference between the fork and the downtube just looks odd. Like it's been put together with scraps from different bikes.

maurice1

by maurice1

Are there really zero standards for D shaped seatposts? Are they all proprietary by brand?

smartyiak

by smartyiak

robeambro wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:51 am
An "Ultimate Gravel". Weirdly, it doesn't seem to feature the Endurace's split seatpost.
I'm kinda surprised by this. The split seatpost seemed to work as advertised, people seemed to like it, and no "aeroroad issues"...so obviously: get rid of it!!!!

I'm interested....but if not impressive enough, hopefully I can snag a clearance Grizl. :D :D :D

robbosmans

by robbosmans

The split seatpost was just a licensed ergon seatpost. You can add it to many bikes

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The extremely long post does the same thing as the split. It's cheaper, lighter, easier to adjust tilt, gives you more saddle adjustment, and doesn't raise as many customer service issues. The split post is only needed if you've got a small amount of post exposed.
This bike looks to be designed to be suspention & dropper compatible. It might have a Diverge STR style of full seat post rocking feature. It looks like they disigned with hardtail MTB in mind. I would be willing to bet theres a full squish version coming if it doesn't have a full swing post. .

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 5:45 pm
The extremely long post does the same thing as the split. It's cheaper, lighter, easier to adjust tilt, gives you more saddle adjustment, and doesn't raise as many customer service issues. The split post is only needed if you've got a small amount of post exposed.
This bike looks to be designed to be suspention & dropper compatible. It might have a Diverge STR style of full seat post rocking feature. It looks like they disigned with hardtail MTB in mind. I would be willing to bet theres a full squish version coming if it doesn't have a full swing post. .
That's somewhat true - the double leaf spring requires at least 125mm exposed I believe so it won't work correctly if used where the saddle is too close to the clamp.

But even a not so long D-Shaped seatpost can provide comparable levels of flex as the double leaf spring if designed correctly, even when not a lot is exposed. Giant has used the d-shape extensively on their posts and now handlebars.

Also the double leaf spring design of the Ergon/Canyon posts are prone to some fitment/sizing and slipping issues - that's why they supply it with a carbon shim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thirdsun

by thirdsun

robbosmans wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:39 am
The split seatpost was just a licensed ergon seatpost. You can add it to many bikes
Not with a D-shaped seat post.

I like that seat post so much that I'd require any new bike of mine to be compatible with it.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2