2024 Canyon Grail

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Woland

by Woland

parleez1 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:36 pm
Didn't see the full geometry for this bike anywhere on the Canyon site. Can someone please provide a link, thanks!
To see the geometry, select a bike and scroll down the page to the details section, then select geometry & details.

Petermeter

by Petermeter

Am i the only one thinking, if the headset can be moved to the Grizl? Voila, no cables....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djemz

by djemz

Probably not. Grizl has 1 1/4 inch and the new grail has the 1 1/8 inch.

But I also looking for an aero handlebar for my grizl. I'm open for suggestions.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AC2003 met Tapatalk

Petermeter

by Petermeter

I bought the H31!

DouglasDDX

by DouglasDDX

Look at Farsport F1, EXS Aerover and Pro vibe Evo. They are all 1 1/4 compatible i think
djemz wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:35 am
Probably not. Grizl has 1 1/4 inch and the new grail has the 1 1/8 inch.

But I also looking for an aero handlebar for my grizl. I'm open for suggestions.

djemz

by djemz

Petermeter wrote:I bought the H31!
Did you pick one with the same stem length as the original stem?

Petermeter

by Petermeter

djemz wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:40 am

No, increased 20mm (90 ->110)

RoadDonk82

by RoadDonk82

A lot of strange choices:

1)Stack is much higher at least in 2XS/XS. The difference is humongous 3cm in 2XS and more than 2cm in XS
2)420mm bars even in 2XS
3)Some models equipped with 165mm cranks and others in 170mm for the same size
4)No option to get a normal stem/bar even on the cheapest model

I don't like it at all. Another too high gravel bike which this time you can't even reasonably adjust.
I think they had fantastic thing going with Grail AL. It was racy and nimble. Make it carbon, make tire clearance bigger and you have a winner. As it is I don't like it at all.

EDIT: I just thought I would get Crux if they made tire clearance bigger and realised Spec released a new Crux with exactly that. In comparison to Grail Crux have: lower stack and normal stem I change to -17 one if it's still too high, bigger tire clearance, normal size bars (40cm in 52 and 38cm in 49) as well as 165mm cranks in 49. I can't believe I will be so happy to pay extra for thing like standard stem, standard bars and standard (racy) geometry :)
Last edited by RoadDonk82 on Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Petermeter wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:50 am
Am i the only one thinking, if the headset can be moved to the Grizl? Voila, no cables....
Want it on my Endurace CF SL

djemz

by djemz

Petermeter wrote:
djemz wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:40 am

No, increased 20mm (90 ->110)
Isnt it very long then? I have an aeroad as roadbike and if I increase my reach on the grizl with 20mm it will be longer then the aeroad reach. Or does the grizl compensate this with the higher stack?

Do you have a picture of it? Curious how it looks like. And what do you need to install it? Just the aero spacer kit?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I was just looking at the details on the new Grail. Looks like the concept was "an Ultimate for gravel" - similar to the Aethos/Crux. What's odd to me is the just released a new Endurance and the similar concepts are so different.
-Grail uses Ultimate D-shaped post instead of round like new Endurance.
(Edit: I looks like Canyon lists the weight of the D-shaped post at 110gr, which doesn't sound right, but that would make some sense- Canyon SP0055 weight 110gr. Must be without clamp hardware +70gr according to parts page. So they saved 40gr gr and added some "aero" but removed the comfort (Tour Int says the Ultimate with that post is about 110n/mm, the endurance is 88n/mm, the leaf spring is usually around 60n/mm - typical good road bike is 125-150n/mm; Giant/Trek Endurance bike is 90n/mm)
-Grail uses downtube storage, Endurance uses top tube. Why wouldn't you just do your engineering/parts design once?
-Endurance rear takes 35c, Grail takes 40c. Why not just give the Endurance more room?
-The Grails looks to have a unique fork separate from the Endurance, Inflite, and Ultimate?
Why are these completely different bikes with different front triangles? Why didn't the Grail get the softer leaf spring seat post, they use it in the CX and Endurance.
Why didn't they just make the Endurance an endurance fit, road Grail? I'm sure all these models sell well enough, but it's like the Grail and Endurance teams just didn't want to talk. :-)

In other news, based on the description of the downtube storage sock, the Lux / Spectral will be updated in Sping with downtube / toptube storage. (Ref Canyon Load tool snake)
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gear/acces ... 12530.html
https://www.bikeperfect.com/news/is-can ... trail-bike

cerro

by cerro

Grail and Ultimate got the same seatpostsize

thirdsun

by thirdsun

RoadDonk82 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:57 pm
A lot of strange choices:

1)Stack is much higher at least in 2XS/XS. The difference is humongous 3cm in 2XS and more than 2cm in XS
2)420mm bars even in 2XS
3)Some models equipped with 165mm cranks and others in 170mm for the same size
4)No option to get a normal stem/bar even on the cheapest model

I don't like it at all. Another too high gravel bike which this time you can't even reasonably adjust.
I think they had fantastic thing going with Grail AL. It was racy and nimble. Make it carbon, make tire clearance bigger and you have a winner. As it is I don't like it at all.

EDIT: I just thought I would get Crux if they made tire clearance bigger and realised Spec released a new Crux with exactly that. In comparison to Grail Crux have: lower stack and normal stem I change to -17 one if it's still too high, bigger tire clearance, normal size bars (40cm in 52 and 38cm in 49) as well as 165mm cranks in 49. I can't believe I will be so happy to pay extra for thing like standard stem, standard bars and standard (racy) geometry :)
I'm surprised by some of the decisions too but just a few notes:

1) The stack is indeed surprisingly high on the smaller sizes. I think they did some weird things to keep 700C wheels at 2XS, which I very much welcome. 650B is a nightmare to buy tires for.

2) Agreed. Absolutely ridiculous, particularly on an aero gravel bike.

3) That's on Shimano, I guess. For some reason they refuse to offer their top level GRX groups with smaller than 170 mm cranks.

4) I'm not sure you're right about that. You can use any stem/bar combo you want on the new Grail. Sure, they are shipped with cockpits because that's what the market demands. I don't blame Canyon for that. If you don't like the integrated option there's always the Grizl.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

aldoxzx

by aldoxzx

Been a month - has anyone ridden one of these and have any new comments or thoughts?

Roel W

by Roel W

Petermeter wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:50 am
Et voila: Canyon launched a few new Grizl models today:
Grizl CF SL6 with AXS has semi-integrated brake hoses.
The fork has been redesigned: Canyon FK0087 CF Disc on the older Grizl versus Canyon FK0124 CF Disc on the new Grizl with cable semi-integration. Both still 1 1/4" unlike the 1 1/8" on the new Grail.
I'm now waiting for a new CF SL 7 with GRX600 double groupset. No integrated cables wanted for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com