2024 Canyon Grail

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

djemz

by djemz

Looks a lot less sexy in this color scheme and bigger size. Image

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AC2003 met Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smartyiak

by smartyiak

djemz wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:06 pm
Looks a lot less sexy in this color scheme and bigger size. Image

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AC2003 met Tapatalk
I'd definitely go with the Eddie Van Halen motif!

Agent041

by Agent041

I hope new Grail is better quality than the Grizl.
Do not get me wrong. Grizl rides superb for its purpose, but Canyon quality is problematic. I have the Grizl for over a half year and the seat post is creaking like hell. Clean it, lube it, and is quiet for a couple of rides, then it starts all over. Also I already had to change 2 bottom brackets. And the frame hole is so big I can almost remove and mount the BB with hands, and no tools required. So BB itself is not the problem, but those micrones diferance in sizes is. My friend bought the same bike, and had the same problems. Eventually he gave up and sold the bike. Also know other Canyon bike users that had frame crack in a couple of years. Luckaly all in warranty time.
Canyon customer support is extremly bad. Constanly waiting for weeks for their reply. And eventually their agreed to send the bike back, but for details, I am now waiting over 6 weeks!!!

jayjay

by jayjay

Official:

https://www.canyon.com/de-de/gravel-bik ... eration-2/

I love the storage solution!

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Interesting geo choice. Long reach paired to a short (70mm) stem. Wonder if that affects handling. Also curious if you're going to be able to swap the cockpit or if you're stuck with it like the Aeroad and Ultimate. Didn't see if it's a normal steerer/stem.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

thirdsun

by thirdsun

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:25 am
Interesting geo choice. Long reach paired to a short (70mm) stem. Wonder if that affects handling. Also curious if you're going to be able to swap the cockpit or if you're stuck with it like the Aeroad and Ultimate. Didn't see if it's a normal steerer/stem.
You can swap the cockpit for one of your choice. Or just buy another one from Canyon.

Ben Delaney has more info: https://youtu.be/8WjIETRoaRU?si=VFPi4l7L7DOpgU0p
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Obviously we need long term reviews, but I can't imagine anything else I'd want in a gravel bike (I'll leave "ugly color choices" out of it).
Tire clearance = check.
Burrito box = check.
Aero = check.
Stiffer = check (I'm a big dude).
New, better geo...but not crazy! = check.
I'll be able to afford it = check! :D

https://bikerumor.com/2023-canyon-grail ... race-bike/

I do wish they would have kept the other seat post and think it should come stock w/a narrower bar, but this bike is darn near perfect! ...now I just have to wait until December...Merry Christmas to me!!!

Woland

by Woland

I was really looking forward to the new Grail, but there are a few showstoppers.

- Only 42 mm tyre clearance in 2023? Come on Canyon
- Stack 591 mm in size M. I thought this was supposed to be a race bike, not an endurance bike
- Handlebar width 44 cm. Where can I get that 40 cm bar?

That being said, this bike looks a great package and excellent value if you can look past the above gripes.

nbrandborg

by nbrandborg

Jasper Ockeleon mentioned in an Instagram story today that he is running 45mm Schwalbe RS tires 'easily', so the 42mm seems very conservative for some reason.

Woland

by Woland

nbrandborg wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:37 pm
Jasper Ockeleon mentioned in an Instagram story today that he is running 45mm Schwalbe RS tires 'easily', so the 42mm seems very conservative for some reason.
Yeah, and there's this:

I wish we had proper bike journalists to check these kinds of simple things outside the marketing spiel.

NordicSal

by NordicSal

Insanely long wheelbase too.

Wish it was possible to easily get aftermarket D shaped posts. Not gonna fit on an XL, XXL is way too big

parleez1

by parleez1

Didn't see the full geometry for this bike anywhere on the Canyon site. Can someone please provide a link, thanks!

smartyiak

by smartyiak

Woland wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:32 pm
nbrandborg wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:37 pm
Yeah, and there's this:

I wish we had proper bike journalists to check these kinds of simple things outside the marketing spiel.
Counterpoint: the Grail main page says:

"Based on feedback from our pro riders we landed on 40 mm tyres as the best balance of good grip and fast rolling resistance for a gravel race bike. The frame clears 42 mm tires and leaves space for 52/36 front chainrings so racers can go all out."
(Sorry, but don't know Secret code to post pic)

So what's the real answer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martin752

by martin752

I'm a big fan of all the new features, credit where credit's due. Personally will probably wait until spring though and get a size S instead of the usual M and go for the PRO handlebars with 400x100. After being on 380mm for the last season I don't see myself ever going back to anything above 400 on my road or gravel bike.