Recommendations for gravel racing setup

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Hey gang, I'm looking for advice for a competive gravel setup. Basically everything - frame/bike, suspension, tyre selection, aero etc!

Brief backgorund: I've been mtbing for 30 odd years, so know my way round mtbs quite well. Got into road a few years ago, getting into that more and more. On a whim I trained and entered a gravel race over here in Australia (Seven) and qualified for the World Championships, they'll be in Italy in October this year. Obviously, this is the amateur version! I did it on my mtb, and according to the World Champs rules the bike has to have dropped bars.

So.... new bike time. I'm looking for somerhing competitive, probably should have discs for clearance... just to get that out of the way :). Any leads on the above re: gear? Budget is maybe $5k AUD, so 2nd hand is defintely looking like an option.

Thanks all!
Kurt

Edit: to give a bit of a framework for this discussion.... any racers out there who could post their bikes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

satanas

by satanas

It'd be useful to know what the course is like - last year many people rode basically road bikes with wide-ish tyres as it was flat and non-technical. Unless you know you might get a shock either way! Suspension or not, which tyres and so forth will depend on the course (and personal preference) to some extent, as will 1x versus 2x, gearing, etc. Only you can fill in some of this stuff...

As for bikes, there are potentially *new* ones here in Oz which might fit your budget, depending on your expectations of course. You could also try haunting eBay, Gumtree, Aliexpress, etc. I'd try and test ride as many different things as you can too.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Yeah, there's no info about the course for 2023. The '22 course looks super flat. Aero in that context is really important, so road bike with wide ish tyres makes sense.

Out of interest... any idea how wide people went with their tyres?

Have already been on the hunt through the usual sites, will try to get some test rides in at shops.

What do you ride, if you don't mind me asking?

robeambro

by robeambro

Kurt1980 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:05 am
Hey gang, I'm looking for advice for a competive gravel setup. Basically everything - frame/bike, suspension, tyre selection, aero etc!

Brief backgorund: I've been mtbing for 30 odd years, so know my way round mtbs quite well. Got into road a few years ago, getting into that more and more. On a whim I trained and entered a gravel race over here in Australia (Seven) and qualified for the World Championships, they'll be in Italy in October this year. Obviously, this is the amateur version! I did it on my mtb, and according to the World Champs rules the bike has to have dropped bars.

So.... new bike time. I'm looking for somerhing competitive, probably should have discs for clearance... just to get that out of the way :). Any leads on the above re: gear? Budget is maybe $5k AUD, so 2nd hand is defintely looking like an option.

Thanks all!
Kurt

Edit: to give a bit of a framework for this discussion.... any racers out there who could post their bikes?
As a MTBer you probably can handle technical stuff and don't need much help from the bike. If the course is not exceedingly technical I would get a frame that is remotely aero (or at least not a brick), spec it light and with tyres not too wide (from 32 to 40mm depending on the course), and spend money on the kit (unless you already have something tight and aero).

If you want suspension probably I'd look at the Lauf Seigla (the fork is quite aero and hides the suspension - the downtube is the least aero shape to ever have existed. Who knows.)

jemima

by jemima

Kurt1980 wrote:

Thanks all!
Kurt

I would have grabbed the yellow BMC build at the stand!

$5k tho; best spec-value for money here is probably Giant.
Seems each year, many bikes drop prices a bit around late July/August.

Was there for the full-distance also, but had to pull out race morn due to training injury not yet good-to-go.
Curve Grovel ti.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Hey guys, a couple of updates. I have heard on the grapevine the course may be different this year, and incorporate some actual climbing. That will also mean some descending. That will influence my choice a bit.

The other thing is... I assume I will need a UCI approved bike to race in a UCI competition? Can anyone verify this?
If that's the case, that will definitely narrow down my choices.

Thanks,
Kurt

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

jemima wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 10:45 pm
Kurt1980 wrote:

Thanks all!
Kurt

I would have grabbed the yellow BMC build at the stand!

$5k tho; best spec-value for money here is probably Giant.
Seems each year, many bikes drop prices a bit around late July/August.

Was there for the full-distance also, but had to pull out race morn due to training injury not yet good-to-go.
Sorry to hear you had to pull out mate, that's a tough one. I had knee issues myself, but caught it in time to address it with physio.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Ok, update. I've gone for a Giant Revolt Advanced 2. It can fit up to 50mm tyres in the long setting. It does come with a dastardly slipping (apparently) Giant seatpost, but can be converted to a 30.9, which would fit a dropper.

I'll be replacing the stock wheels with something carbon from Light Bicycle, potentially AR25s on DT Swiss 240s. These will be Centrelock, which I'm a bit apprehensive about.... I've always been a 6 bolt kinda guy and I'm concerned about slop in the interface. Anyone have any comments on this wheelset or the hubs?

Looking for recommendations for low rolling resistance tyres as well. I run Conti Race Kings and Cross Kings on the mtb, so something equivalent in the gravel world maybe? 40ishmm tyres.

The other things is it's a 2 x setup, so potentially looking at a 1x, with 38 front and Sram XG1199 10-42 rear. It looks like 11 speed Sram Mtb and Shimano GRX are compatible (saw that on a 3T blog).... anyone have any experience otherwise?

London9921

by London9921

I would never ever sway from 2x personally, the possibility to quickly deal with a short punchy climb by dropping into the smaller chainring and switching it back up after the climb is priceless to me. I have never experienced issues with 2x. This was also the reason why I picked the Addict Gravel for my latest bike.

jemima

by jemima

Tyre choice is going to depend somewhat on the surfaces you'll be riding. When the race comes about next year you may be on ones that you feel will be a good fit.

Training for Seven in the local hills and pea gravel I was on Rene Herse knobbies -38 and 42mm-. Mainly as I liked the downhill grip and steeper climbing grip.
However on the flats they lost out a bit of speed against less bitey options. Switched to a Thundero 40mm rear, closer to race day.

When I'm doing slower/endurance type rides -climbing and lots of loose- I tend to run a knobby mtb tyre front like a Rocket Ron, and a 45mm+ rear low-knob.

Lots of choices out there these days.
Curve Grovel ti.

m3bas

by m3bas

I rode a Factor Ostro Gravel at Seven to an age group podium. Conti Terra Trail/ Speed combo in 40mm.
If you are good technically these are great and roll really well.
I'd say definitely keep the 2x, particularly for Seven.

Good choice on the Giant too, best bang for back and plenty of places to save weight in wheels, bar/stem, etc

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Are the recommendations for keeping the 2x setup based on efficiency re: minimising cross chaining?

For Seven I ran a 1x on my mtb - 36 x 11-36. Other than wishing for a bit more more top and bottom end it went quite well. I made all the climbs without walking.

With this new bike I was thinking of going to 38 x 10-42. The front would be a narrow wide, so good for chain retention, and the larger rear cassete would meet gearing needs.

But.... my ears are open to other ideas!

Kubackjeee

by Kubackjeee

Id you like the 1x stick with it.

As for the tires I am personally using continental terra speed 40s and man those are some fast tires. If there is some more sand on the race i put terra trail on the front.

Another great option is specialized pathfinder pro. They are heavier and little slower but almost bulletproof.

But I don't think they will make the race this year on some hardcore gravel like the races in the USA. Too many road pros in the race and we know UCI needs to please them. I just hope they won't make another "bikepaths" world championships like last year.

Anyway I would go for contis. But it is up to you to decide. I can only say good things about those tires.

There is only one flaw IMO, I need to run them really low pressure to feel fast and smooth otherwise they give me bumpy feeling. I have few marks on my front alu rim from the hits, so considering putting vittoria tyre insert. But I am also on the heavy side 85kg riding strong.
Scott addict rc
Specialized Diverge e5 comp 2019

gorkypl

by gorkypl

AR25s on DT240s are sweet, order them without access holes and forget about tubeless tape once for good.
As above, Contis are probably the best tyre choice currently, width depending on the course.
1x vs 2x is personal preferrence really, but 10-42 with something between 38 and 42 front should be ok. Preferrably 1x12 rather than 1x11.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

gorkypl wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:26 pm
AR25s on DT240s are sweet, order them without access holes and forget about tubeless tape once for good.
As above, Contis are probably the best tyre choice currently, width depending on the course.
1x vs 2x is personal preferrence really, but 10-42 with something between 38 and 42 front should be ok. Preferrably 1x12 rather than 1x11.
Yeah, just ordered them a few mins ago! They seem light, so I got the HD version, apparently 280g each... still pretty light if you ask me.

I'm looking at people like Dylan Johnson and Cole Paton (Giant guy), and they both run 2x, so starting to tilt in that direction. I have just ordered a L side GRX crank with 4iiii PM, so I can choose either a 2x or 1x crank on the other side.

Actually, that's a question for... is there any difference on the GRX 810 DS crank between 1x and 2x? Can I just add/remove chainrings?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com