Recommendations for gravel racing setup

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Ok, it looks like the DS crank is the same whether 1x or 2x, so I've ordered the 2x and should be able to pick it up soon.

Next question, has anyone ever had BB problems with their Revolt? I'm running mechanical, and wondering about water/grit ingress from underneath the BB shell.
Is a BBinfinite 1 piece a good idea in this case? I can get one for cheap(er), but no point fixing a non-existant problem.

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Kurt1980 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:39 am
Ok, it looks like the DS crank is the same whether 1x or 2x, so I've ordered the 2x and should be able to pick it up soon.

Next question, has anyone ever had BB problems with their Revolt? I'm running mechanical, and wondering about water/grit ingress from underneath the BB shell.
Is a BBinfinite 1 piece a good idea in this case? I can get one for cheap(er), but no point fixing a non-existant problem.

Cheers!
I've been on a Revolt for 2 years. My seatpost has never slipped. Also last year that bike was on my rack through multiple rainstorms driving through Colorado/Utah and I was certain the BB would have some water ingress but after pulling the whole bike apart everything looked like new (BB and Headset). Using a DUB bottom Bracket too, and it's beemn flawless even though everybody freaks out about the DUB BB in a BB86 shell.

warthog101

by warthog101

OnTheRivet wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:14 am
Kurt1980 wrote:

Cheers!
I've been on a Revolt for 2 years. My seatpost has never slipped. Also last year that bike was on my rack through multiple rainstorms driving through Colorado/Utah and I was certain the BB would have some water ingress but after pulling the whole bike apart everything looked like new (BB and Headset). Using a DUB bottom Bracket too, and it's beemn flawless even though everybody freaks out about the DUB BB in a BB86 shell.
Mine hasn't either but yours sounds like it is a '21 with the D shaped seat post as is mine.
The '22 and on have a round post and there was an issue with the frame cracking around the seat post. They have strengthened the frame in that area now I believe.

Agree on the 2x being superior. Better range and smaller gaps between the gears.
We have a national level mtb rider who lives in this town who is currently over in the states racing gravel. 2x is his choice for those reasons.

I had to swap out the seat post for a zero setback goer on mine. Just couldn't get the saddle far enough forward on the STD goer. I hate setback and always run the nose bang on 5cm behind bb.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Very happy with my Scott Gravel Addict, aero(ish), progressive geo and well priced. Can be tricky to get hold of but if you can you should.
Tyre wise, I've found 40-44mm the sweet spot - much larger and the bike loses some of it's responsiveness.
I've used Vittoria Mezcal Gravel for most of the year, including the UCI qualifier in Scotland - very grippy, pretty fast and durable.
Will be trying some of the newer Schwalbe next. Tufo Tundero are also worth a look.
Would also recommend using tyres liners as well - the Vittoria ones are cheap and light.

abLEmiaB

by abLEmiaB

Kurt1980 wrote:
Is a BBinfinite 1 piece a good idea in this case?
I can't speak to problems but I can vouch for BBinfinite. I recently replaced my road bike BB with one and it was slick and easy to install and super high quality. Much better than what it replaced (Cervelo pressfit bbright). Just from the design I anticipate it being trouble free and easy to maintain.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Nohands83 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:44 am
Very happy with my Scott Gravel Addict, aero(ish), progressive geo and well priced. Can be tricky to get hold of but if you can you should.
Tyre wise, I've found 40-44mm the sweet spot - much larger and the bike loses some of it's responsiveness.
I've used Vittoria Mezcal Gravel for most of the year, including the UCI qualifier in Scotland - very grippy, pretty fast and durable.
Will be trying some of the newer Schwalbe next. Tufo Tundero are also worth a look.
Would also recommend using tyres liners as well - the Vittoria ones are cheap and light.
Thanks for the heads up. I've just ordered Conti Terra Trail (f) and Speed (r) in 40mm. I did see the Vittorias and wondered about them... maybe next ordering cycle!

What's the advantage of tyre liners in gravel? Is this still about lower pressures and not rolling tyres off the rim as in mtb?

Are you racing in Italy?

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Sadly no to Italy - life and wife says no!
I've been really impressed with the Vittoria's, feel similar to their road tyres - supple and grippy but apparently without the durability issues.
Yes to lower pressures, but also to protect carbon rims (if you're using them) and as well as acting as an extra layer of protection from punctures.