Tire Inserts

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Does anyone have any experience with Rimpact Pro wheel liners? I'm looking to add a set of inserts to my gravel bike, but have not had any luck fitting CushCore Gravel liners on my LB WR35's, and am looking for alternatives.

pushpush

by pushpush

I havent tried those, but I'm thinking about trying some of the Vittoria inserts. Will report back once I get around to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I found a good deal on Jenson for Vittoria inserts, so I'll try them out, too.

fizzaz

by fizzaz

For gravel, I find anything more than the Vittoria liners to be a bit excessive. The other more mtb type options are overkill and will likely impact ride quality, which I will always take on gravel.

RDY

by RDY

I don't suggest running the Airliners to more than the 40mm they're rated to. They will rattle. Otherwise they're good. As I'm running bigger tires now, I'm using PTNs.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm using Vittoria Terreno Dry's on my gravel bike. They're 38's but open up to 42. Thanks for letting me know about the noise. If they rattle, then I'll remove them.

nickf

by nickf

If you get a puncture you can't fix and have to use a tube, what do you do with the liner?

kervelo

by kervelo

According to Vittoria the air-liner is designed for run-flat use, so in case of a puncture you can continue riding. The speed and distance are limited, I suppose.

Disclaimer: I have no experience of tyre inserts.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I was able to fit the Vittoria liners in my WR35's. I hope to be able to give a ride report after this weekend (weather depending). Here in Central/East Texas, the gravel is very sharp (lots of flint rocks). My only concern is with the zip tie, which is needed to secure the liner. I'm afraid it will puncture the sidewall if it rubs, but we'll see if anything comes of it.

wreckulator

by wreckulator

I run cushcore in my WR40. I started running them after cracking the rear rim when bottoming out at BWR last year. Its nice to run lower pressures for dirt without the tires feeling too squishy on the road (reduced air volume + sidewall support). What was the problem you ran into when trying to mount them?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The tire just wouldn't fit on the rim, no matter how much I tried to get the lever in. I had a moderately difficult time with the Vittoria liners, but much better than with CushCore, which just wouldn't go on. Alas, I was unable to ride this weekend because of all of rain. I'll be trying them out next Sunday, if the weather holds.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I switched to a set up with Vittoria Airliners in my Schwalbe G-One RS tires for Unbound 100 this year. I've had the Airliners in for a few months now. Tough to seat the tires on with the liner in place, but I haven't had any noise and no perceptible difference in ride feel. I've not had any punctures in that time though. Next month at Unbound will be the true test.

Video on the airliners is on my Youtube.
Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

FuelForThought

by FuelForThought

FIJIGabe wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 7:38 pm
Does anyone have any experience with Rimpact Pro wheel liners? I'm looking to add a set of inserts to my gravel bike, but have not had any luck fitting CushCore Gravel liners on my LB WR35's, and am looking for alternatives.
I have ran the Rimpact gravel inserts since last summer. My issue is that they dry out the Orange Seal sealant. When I opened the tire a month after installing the insert, I found that the insert weighed 40g more than initially, there was no liquid sealant left and the latex particles had balled up in one little animalcule. I contacted the manufaturer who advised me to switch to Stan sealant. I liked the construction of these inserts and they are very sturdy showing no sign of aging after 1000's of km but do not plan to use them further.

I have used the PTN XS inserts and they did not experience any of the issues that I had with Rimpact. 59g per insert. So far my favorite insert for gravel. They deteriorate and I need to change them after a year.

I just started using the Tubolight in the front tire. 34g per insert. Only one ride.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks for the input. I rode with the Vittoria liner in my rear tire, yesterday. It took me a little time to get used to the lower tire pressure (just 5psi, but the smoother ride was noticable). Also, I didn't pick up any note of rattling because of the liner (38's measuring 42mm), so I'm very happy, right now. I'll be putting some more miles on it, this weekend, in anticipation of Unbound in less than 2 weeks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com