Cadex AR and GX gravel tires reviews

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

geofharries

by geofharries

Has anyone here tried the Cadex AR or GX tires? Online reviews are very hard to come by.
I am looking for a fast rolling tire for races and rides that are 50% gravel, 50% paved road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emotive

by emotive

Looks a lot like a Maxxis receptor.

Have a look at Challenge Strada Bianca Pro HTLR for fast rolling mixed terrain tyres. They roll fast according to BRR and user reports. Available in a wide range of sizes too.

geofharries

by geofharries

Yes, I see the similarities now between Cadex and Maxxis. Thanks for letting me know about the Challenge tires.

I was hoping to buy local and my shop has the Cadex tires in stock.

m3bas

by m3bas

I was just looking for the same last week, not much around.

They are very expensive locally, I ended up ordering some Continental instead.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

geofharries wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:14 am
Yes, I see the similarities now between Cadex and Maxxis. Thanks for letting me know about the Challenge tires.

I was hoping to buy local and my shop has the Cadex tires in stock.
I think Cadex is made by Maxxis, if it wasn't clear. They're both made in Tiawan and use a 170tpi casing, which is unusual.

I disagree with the Challenge tire - quality issues. I had a set and the tread wasn't adaquately secured to the casing at the edges.

The percentages don't matter, if there's significant gravel, there's significant gravel. For the off road portions- the rowdiness of the gravel matters - is it soft or hard surface, mud/sand, sharp rocks, etc.
That tire has the side knobs way off to the side in a place you'd likely never get to. You'd need to lean the bike waayy to the inside of the corners by bending your knees to a point you could only do on a MTB frame. Don't worry about centerknobs, if they're spaced close together, they won't hurt the road side and will help with punctures. For the gravel side, the percentages don't matter, the rowdiness of the gravel deal. For a 40c go with the usual suspects, mostly road tire G-One RS, Terra Speed, Tufo Thundero, Pirelli H

geofharries

by geofharries

Thanks! I bought a pair of 40mm Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M tires. They had really good reviews for rolling resistance as well as puncture and grip scores, and seem to suit the intended terrain best (wet, loamy, rocky or paved).

Took them for a ride last night. Quite speedy on the road with the centreline tread blocks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The only thing I heard, but not experienced, on the M was that the wide, heavy center lugs were a bit sketchy when you hit shallow mud and the big lugs don't do much on harder surfaces with higher tire pressures because it's a big 'tilt' till you enguage the lugs - basically the lugs don't work in some situations where you'd think they're optimized for. As long as you're running them soft or in chunky conditions, they should be doing what you expect.