Cranks with narrow Stance for GRX?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Cyclingintherain

by Cyclingintherain

I'm looking for a narrower Stance on my 1x11 without changing my pedals. Has anybody tried different cranks that would fit without too much modification?
Thanks

DrimeOser

by DrimeOser

You could run Shimano road cranks with a custom one-by chain ring. That would give you a smaller q-factor.

Or, as many do: use XTR pedals with -3mm axle, even given the fact that you dont wanna change pedals. It is simply the cheapest option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The q-factor on GRX cranks is 151mm. Probably the best crank is going to be about 146mm, so not meaningfully different.
This might be the narrowest https://us.3t.bike/en/products/crank/torno-567.html

Anything narrower is a track bike crank and will have a 144mm bolt pattern, you'll need to space the chainline out 2.5mm or so, and the smallest ring your can run will be about a 44t.

satanas

by satanas

There are at least two modern cranks with smaller Q factors than the Torno...

https://www.extralite.com/Products/QRC%202.htm

https://alexscycle.com/products/dixna-l ... 64e8&_ss=r

...and both take 110 BCD 5 arm rings, which might be findable with various offsets. However, both are "hidden arm" cranks, so getting the rings to sit flat could be an issue.

Track cranks will almost certainly have chainline issues as Dura-Ace 7710 & Miche have a 42.5mm chainline, versus 45-49.7mm for 1x gravel. Q is listed as 136.3 for 7710 or 129mm for Miche Primato, however your chances of finding narrow-wide rings in 144 BCD are likely to be zero.

It'd be much easier to swap the pedals. Most are ~55mm, but 49-52mm is also possible. Check out SQlab, XTR, Dura-Ace, Crank Brothers, Garmin, etc.

Cyclingintherain

by Cyclingintherain

Thanks for the quick replies. I have power meters in my pedals, this is why I was hoping not to change them. But everthing else seems a bit messy and more expensive. The 3T cranks look interesting, but even for them it looks like I would need a new bottom braket due to the different axle diameter.
I just had a look, my current pedals have a Q factor of 52mm. I wont get much lower than that.
I didn't think that it was going to be that hard to change the stance when I started looking into this.
Last edited by Cyclingintherain on Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Also keep on mind if you've a gravel frame a narrower q factor may result in the crankarm hitting the chainstay!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Cyclingintherain

by Cyclingintherain

Good point, but I have enough clearance to the chain stays.
It nearly looks like different cranks are my only option, with the 3T cranks being the best one so far.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

That 5mm per dide difference isn't worth the hassle/expense. Getting a regular ultegea crank and using a Campy 6mm wide bearings on the drive side BB would get you 3.5mm without all the expense /hassle.

What pedals/shoes are you using? Maybe a cleat change would get you 2-3mm more

satanas

by satanas

IME 5mm is the difference between being comfortable and not, but I'm quite sensitive to LHS Q factor due to an old tib & fib break which didn't set quite straight.

What cranks is the OP using elsewhere that don't cause discomfort? If it's Shimano road cranks that's an easy swap, with plenty of suitable rings out there...

Cyclingintherain

by Cyclingintherain

Currently I'm using SDS pedals and the GRX cranks.

satanas

by satanas

What are SDS pedals? Neither I nor Google knows what they are.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

satanas wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:12 pm
What are SDS pedals? Neither I nor Google knows what they are.
They're a distortion pedal made by Yamaha

Cyclingintherain

by Cyclingintherain

SPD! Sorry, I don't know what happened there.
But maybe it's a brand new pedal style that I need, because there doesn't seem to be an easy way out of this. What width are these Yamaha once? ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rothwem

by rothwem

I think the easy button is a Shimano road crank with a Wolftooth/Absolute Black/1x ring. Gets you ~5mm narrower, and a Dura Ace crank will probably shave some grams. I wouldn't worry too much about the chainline either, on a 1x setup it really isn't that big of a deal. Obviously you don't want the chainring to hit the stays or be farther out than the small cog, but the main concern about chainring chainline is for multi-speed cranks that have to deal with front derailleurs. As long as the ring is mostly in the middle, you're going to be fine. In fact, there's even some data that shows that a smaller chainline (more aligned with the bigger cassette cogs) could be slightly benificial.