SRAM Red 22 with Apex 1 11 Speed rear mech?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jdo

by jdo

I'm in the process of setting up my cross bike for some gravel events. The bike was originally set up with SRAM Red 22. I then converted it to 1 x using an Apex 1 rear mech. For the gravel events (which include a significant amount of road) I would like to go back to 2 x but with the additional range of gearing offered by the long cage Apex rear mech:

Is this possible - the description for the Apex rear mech states it is for 1 x - any reason it won't work 2 x?

The stated range for the Apex is 11-42, but no mention of the total capacity - is it possible to come to an educated guess for the total capacity by measuring distance between jockey wheels?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Most(?) of SRAMs 1x rear mechs have different pivot/kuckle arrangements so they can keep the top jockey the same distance away from the cassette.
Add the chain length change from big ring to small ring and the top jockey location will be all over the place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdo

by jdo

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:55 pm
Most(?) of SRAMs 1x rear mechs have different pivot/kuckle arrangements so they can keep the top jockey the same distance away from the cassette.
Add the chain length change from big ring to small ring and the top jockey location will be all over the place.
Thank you - that's exactly the sort of technical issue I thought must be lurking somewhere to thwart my plan!

jfranci3

by jfranci3

How much shifting are you doing? If you don't mind a risky shift, I'd try it. On the other hand, a used RD probably isn't that expensive ~$40

s3si1u

by s3si1u

You can probably use something like a GX 2x10 mtb rear derailleur for a bit of extended range with SRAM 22. I believe the GX 2x10 has a max tooth cog capacity of 36.
I've never used one, but read of a few others that have. Maybe you can push that 11-36 range a bit?

jdo

by jdo

Thanks all for your thoughts and ideas, it's much appreciated.

goatalope

by goatalope

Get a 10 speed sram mountain rear der (x9 / XO, etc). That should give you range (11-36 was the specified range, but I hear it can go bigger).

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

goatalope wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:09 am
Get a 10 speed sram mountain rear der (x9 / XO, etc). That should give you range (11-36 was the specified range, but I hear it can go bigger).
I've been doing this for years (Red 22 with XX 10sp mtb RD), as do many others. Works flawlessly with 11/36 cassette.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdo

by jdo

Thank you for your help @goatalope and @Mr.Gib