Any inspiring gravel bikes out there?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

London9921

by London9921

Hey,

A bit of a rant, but i'm genuinely curious to get your input on good and relatively light weight gravel bikes without too much proprietary design. Many options just seem overpriced vs their road or endurance counterparts.

I’m considering some kind of upgrade to my current bike. I’ve sold off other bikes in order to start fresh - my remaining bike being a basic alloy Specialized Diverge with mechanical brakes. The brakes offer quite nice modulation to be fair, but do lack bite when needed. I guess that’s my main gripe with the bike. It weighs 9.8 kg incl SPD pedals (excluding saddle bag) in size 58 - so really not bad considering the weight some carbon gravel bikes come in at! 0.5kg lighter with road wheels on.

I ride 80% gravel. Not single track, and not massive crushed rocks but quite fine gravel and packed dirt roads. The Specialized Pathfinder 38s are perfect for my needs, occasionally a 40 or 42c tire would be better when it's muddy.

During the summers I’ve shipped my bike to our summer place in southern Europe where there is little to no gravel to ride but miles and miles of nice tarmac roads, after swapping the wheels out. I consider just keeping the Diverge there and getting an ”upgrade” for home. It's got 2x so the gear ranges are well suited for road riding.

Since I predominately ride gravel it would be the obvious choice to consider for my next bike - but i just feel really uninspired by the market, or discouraged by quality issues (example: Giant Revolt seat tube cracks, Kanzo fast headtube issues).

Specialized Crux is interesting as it’s both light and elegant looking. It is expensive though for what you get. 1x is fine for gravel riding, but would feel limiting when riding on roads I suppose (unless changing to a mullet setup).

Look Gravel 765 seems to be a high quality build at an OK price point, but weighs 9.2 kg in size M without pedals. That's hardly an improvement in terms of weight vs price.

What I like with both those bikes is that they have 27.2mm seatposts, can use standard stems (although the Look is shipped with a proprietary design).

What bikes would you recommend? Should I just keep riding the alloy Diverge for gravel and get a carbon endurance road bike for summer use?

Some bikes I've considered, but not interested in:
- Canyon Grizl / Grail
- Giant Revolt
- Trek Boone (overpriced)
- Specialized Diverge carbon (not into Future shock)
- Ridley Kanzo Fast (super nice bike, but bad reputation connected to warranty claims and some design flaws is discouraging)
- 3T, Open - no thanks
- Cervelo Aspero - really nice, but also quite overpriced
- Cannondale Topstone - not sure which spec

Thanks!

jayjay

by jayjay

Maybe the Factor LS?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maurice1

by maurice1

Perhaps not what you pictured/not aero enough but a carbonda 707 might fit those boxes. Tons of mounting options, standard bearings, BSA BB, decent weight, routing is up to you, 27.2 seatpost etc. A very simple frame with no proprietary bs whatsoever

London9921

by London9921

jayjay wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:57 am
Maybe the Factor LS?
Super bike, but also so pricey!

London9921

by London9921

maurice1 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:27 am
Perhaps not what you pictured/not aero enough but a carbonda 707 might fit those boxes. Tons of mounting options, standard bearings, BSA BB, decent weight, routing is up to you, 27.2 seatpost etc. A very simple frame with no proprietary bs whatsoever
It's definitely a very competitive contender based on pricing, but there seems to be a little odd bottle mount placing (given the large frame in this example: https://forum.ridinggravel.com/post/chi ... 7-10652655) - going sideways for gravel is far from ideal - I would be less hesitant for a road bike.

jayjay

by jayjay

Seraph / Tantan GR029 if you are into open mold frames?

maurice1

by maurice1

London9921 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:48 am
maurice1 wrote:
It's definitely a very competitive contender based on pricing, but there seems to be a little odd bottle mount placing (given the large frame in this example: https://forum.ridinggravel.com/post/chi ... 7-10652655) - going sideways for gravel is far from ideal - I would be less hesitant for a road bike.
Sorry I'm not sure what you are talking about. The mounting points on the fork? People very very rarely put bottle cages there, but you can use 5L racks when bikepacking or something. Most people end up just never touching those bolts. You can even replace them with rubber grommets if you want the holes to be flush and not get that 0.003W penalty. Or just request a fork without the mounting points, that's also an option

London9921

by London9921

maurice1 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:31 pm
London9921 wrote:
maurice1 wrote:
Sorry I'm not sure what you are talking about. The mounting points on the fork? People very very rarely put bottle cages there, but you can use 5L racks when bikepacking or something. Most people end up just never touching those bolts. You can even replace them with rubber grommets if you want the holes to be flush and not get that 0.003W penalty. Or just request a fork without the mounting points, that's also an option
I might've misunderstood something, but was referring to the bottle mounts on the seat tube which were discussed in the link I shared- i.e. the bottle sits close to the top tube and therefore it was advised to use a side loaded bottle cage in order to not hit the top tube. Might be a small kink in the grand scheme of things.

maurice1

by maurice1

London9921 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:27 pm
maurice1 wrote:
London9921 wrote:
maurice1 wrote:
I might've misunderstood something, but was referring to the bottle mounts on the seat tube which were discussed in the link I shared- i.e. the bottle sits close to the top tube and therefore it was advised to use a side loaded bottle cage in order to not hit the top tube. Might be a small kink in the grand scheme of things.
Okay I see what you mean. The picture you linked was just a prototype or something. It's no longer that high (but still high imo, I'd prefer it as low as possible)
https://www.carbonda.com/module/view.php?aid=128

London9921

by London9921

maurice1 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:45 pm
London9921 wrote:
maurice1 wrote:
London9921 wrote:

Okay I see what you mean. The picture you linked was just a prototype or something. It's no longer that high (but still high imo, I'd prefer it as low as possible)
I appreciate your suggestion. It's a really sensible option. Have you owned one of their frames yourself?

maurice1

by maurice1

London9921 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:30 pm
maurice1 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:45 pm
London9921 wrote:
maurice1 wrote:

I appreciate your suggestion. It's a really sensible option. Have you owned one of their frames yourself?
Not the 707. I have a 696 (similar but a little cheaper and not as aero, non integrated cockpit) but it's a fresh build so can't give feedback of my own, but countless of people on forums are so happy about theirs you'd think they were paid shills

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

London9921 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:46 am
Hey,

A bit of a rant, but i'm genuinely curious to get your input on good and relatively light weight gravel bikes without too much proprietary design. Many options just seem overpriced vs their road or endurance counterparts.

I’m considering some kind of upgrade to my current bike. I’ve sold off other bikes in order to start fresh - my remaining bike being a basic alloy Specialized Diverge with mechanical brakes. The brakes offer quite nice modulation to be fair, but do lack bite when needed. I guess that’s my main gripe with the bike. It weighs 9.8 kg incl SPD pedals (excluding saddle bag) in size 58 - so really not bad considering the weight some carbon gravel bikes come in at! 0.5kg lighter with road wheels on.

I ride 80% gravel. Not single track, and not massive crushed rocks but quite fine gravel and packed dirt roads. The Specialized Pathfinder 38s are perfect for my needs, occasionally a 40 or 42c tire would be better when it's muddy.

During the summers I’ve shipped my bike to our summer place in southern Europe where there is little to no gravel to ride but miles and miles of nice tarmac roads, after swapping the wheels out. I consider just keeping the Diverge there and getting an ”upgrade” for home. It's got 2x so the gear ranges are well suited for road riding.

Since I predominately ride gravel it would be the obvious choice to consider for my next bike - but i just feel really uninspired by the market, or discouraged by quality issues (example: Giant Revolt seat tube cracks, Kanzo fast headtube issues).

Specialized Crux is interesting as it’s both light and elegant looking. It is expensive though for what you get. 1x is fine for gravel riding, but would feel limiting when riding on roads I suppose (unless changing to a mullet setup).

Look Gravel 765 seems to be a high quality build at an OK price point, but weighs 9.2 kg in size M without pedals. That's hardly an improvement in terms of weight vs price.

What I like with both those bikes is that they have 27.2mm seatposts, can use standard stems (although the Look is shipped with a proprietary design).

What bikes would you recommend? Should I just keep riding the alloy Diverge for gravel and get a carbon endurance road bike for summer use?

- Canyon Grizl / Grail
- Giant Revolt
- Ridley Kanzo Fast (super nice bike, but bad reputation connected to warranty claims and some design flaws is discouraging)
- 3T, Open - no thanks

Thanks!
Think you're confused a bit - you can run the newest Crux 2x, you just need the correct FD and crank to move the chainline /chainring out for chainstay clearance. Some have reported using normal chainrings/FD/cranks but it's ymmv at that point.

As for your riding, as long as you don't need external mounting points for bags/racks/fenders

Also what do you consider"overpriced?" When comparing gravel frames to top level road frames they're generally similar pricing for similar spec. And as for "light" what is the target frameset and/or full build weight you're looking for?

As for your actual wants/needs, for any bike you always start with the tires your gonna run. Since you're mostly riding on fire roads or tarmac you're looking at small or no tread tires, the actual max width depending on your total system weight. A 38mm but block tire will work way better in the mid than a 42mm tight block tire, but since you've stated little mud then stick with 38-40mm max tire width, and say 6mm min clearance just in case you need it.

The "Goldilocks" choice would probably be a current Crux. Even the previous model, available for roughly half the price, would probably work as long as you stick with 38mm actual width tires. But other choices could include:
Canyon Endurace (~38mm actual clearance)
Orbea Terra
Ridley Grifn

Or something similar to and endurance road bike with 38-40mm clear. Infortunatey awesome light all-road options like the Aethos, Caledonia and Ultimate are limited to about 35mm actual

London9921

by London9921

yinzerniner wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:48 pm
London9921 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:46 am
Hey,

- Canyon Grizl / Grail
- Giant Revolt
- 3T, Open - no thanks

Thanks!
Think you're confused a bit - you can run the newest Crux 2x, you just need the correct FD and crank to move the chainline /chainring out for chainstay clearance. Some have reported using normal chainrings/FD/cranks but it's ymmv at that point.

As for your riding, as long as you don't need external mounting points for bags/racks/fenders

Also what do you consider"overpriced?" When comparing gravel frames to top level road frames they're generally similar pricing for similar spec. And as for "light" what is the target frameset and/or full build weight you're looking for?

As for your actual wants/needs, for any bike you always start with the tires your gonna run. Since you're mostly riding on fire roads or tarmac you're looking at small or no tread tires, the actual max width depending on your total system weight. A 38mm but block tire will work way better in the mid than a 42mm tight block tire, but since you've stated little mud then stick with 38-40mm max tire width, and say 6mm min clearance just in case you need it.

The "Goldilocks" choice would probably be a current Crux. Even the previous model, available for roughly half the price, would probably work as long as you stick with 38mm actual width tires. But other choices could include:
Canyon Endurace (~38mm actual clearance)
Orbea Terra
Ridley Grifn

Or something similar to and endurance road bike with 38-40mm clear. Infortunatey awesome light all-road options like the Aethos, Caledonia and Ultimate are limited to about 35mm actual

You make some great points; thanks for pitching in!

Considering how well CX riders do on 32mm tires in anything but forgiving conditions 35mm should be OK, too. You mention the Endurace and I agree it's an interesting bike given its increased clearance (since they officially state 35mm). I would totally get it but am thinking it's clearance still is on the limiting side.

In terms of what I mean by pricing have a look at the table from this test - https://granfondo-cycling.com/the-best- ... ke-review/ - so many >€4/5k bikes coming in at ridiculous weights at high 8 or above 9, when my alloy Diverge sits at 9.8 for a fraction of the price of the BMC which weighs almost the same. I mean, what are these bikes really offering that's so much better? Best case 1-2kg less weight, hydraulic brakes and possibly a bit more compliant ride from the carbon, but is that worth €3-8k? I could spend €10k on a bike but dont see the added value beyond ~€3k.

Coming back to the Endurace, the CF7 model at approx €2.2k and 105 comes in at 8.6kg according to their website which is pretty good compared with the gravel specific test linked above. I get Canyon are trying to market the Endurance wider given the gravel segments growth!

I dig the Addict Gravel 30/20 but at a higher price point they don't offer much more than tire clearance vs something like the Endurace. Therefore the market as a whole feels underwhelming. I totally get that many people on here justify €10k bikes differently than myself. Even though I try to be objective in terms of quality (as in build quality/durability), as well as value added the actual value added seems to be diminishing beyond the €3/4k point vs entry level bikes. Even then value isn't coming from lighter bikes but rather functional value added (clearance, groupset, wheels).

blaugrana

by blaugrana

London9921 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:42 pm
Considering how well CX riders do on 32mm tires in anything but forgiving conditions 35mm should be OK, too. You mention the Endurace and I agree it's an interesting bike given its increased clearance (since they officially state 35mm). I would totally get it but am thinking it's clearance still is on the limiting side.

In terms of what I mean by pricing have a look at the table from this test - https://granfondo-cycling.com/the-best- ... ke-review/ - so many >€4/5k bikes coming in at ridiculous weights at high 8 or above 9, when my alloy Diverge sits at 9.8 for a fraction of the price of the BMC which weighs almost the same. I mean, what are these bikes really offering that's so much better? Best case 1-2kg less weight, hydraulic brakes and possibly a bit more compliant ride from the carbon, but is that worth €3-8k? I could spend €10k on a bike but dont see the added value beyond ~€3k.

Coming back to the Endurace, the CF7 model at approx €2.2k and 105 comes in at 8.6kg according to their website which is pretty good compared with the gravel specific test linked above. I get Canyon are trying to market the Endurance wider given the gravel segments growth!

I dig the Addict Gravel 30/20 but at a higher price point they don't offer much more than tire clearance vs something like the Endurace. Therefore the market as a whole feels underwhelming. I totally get that many people on here justify €10k bikes differently than myself. Even though I try to be objective in terms of quality (as in build quality/durability), as well as value added the actual value added seems to be diminishing beyond the €3/4k point vs entry level bikes. Even then value isn't coming from lighter bikes but rather functional value added (clearance, groupset, wheels).
I wouldn't really take CX as a reference here, because those 33mm tubulars are run at extremely low pressures, way lower than anything viable for gravel. CX courses don't (or shouldn't) have rocks, and riders know all the spots where there is a risk of pinch flatting, and even then (and having great technique to hop things when needed), they sometimes still flat. Also, they would probably run much larger tyres on most courses if there wasn't a rule about that, but it's hard to tell because we don't really have high end wide CX tubulars to compare the current UCI legal offerings with.

For gravel you really want to have a lot more margin before you pinch flat, so I see little reason not to go significantly wider. I'm running 42mm at the moment, and they feel like a nice sweet spot. 38 or 40mm would be fine too, but 35 would start feeling like too much compromise. It depends on the kind of gravel you do, of course, but it's always nice to not have to worry about breaking rims when going into sketchy terrain with a bit of speed. Also consider that since the width helps with traction, you can afford to go with faster rolling options with little or no tread in the middle.

I do agree with the sentiment that most gravel bikes are a bit overpriced. With road bikes you pay for the aero and integrated aesthetics, but most gravel bikes aren't really that aero anyway (and it matters a lot less). I still wouldn't pick an endurance road bike for gravel (unless gravel means road rides with some relatively easy "sterratto" sections), but you might want to look at some of the CX options. I have the current Giant TCX, and it has a very light frame at a reasonable price point. Since CX isn't that popular, they don't bother doing several tiers of frames, so all bikes get the nice lightweight one. They increased the prices a bit this year, but still, 4099€ for the one with carbon wheels and GRX800 or 2999€ for the one with heavy wheels and GRX600 seems very reasonable given the current market. The only proprietary component is the D shaped seatpost, but the rest is pretty standard. Of course it doesn't have the modern slacker gravel geometry, but I never feel the need for more stability, and the bike doesn't feel sketchy at speed. And on technical climbs, the agile CX geometry works very well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

blaugrana wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:55 pm

I do agree with the sentiment that most gravel bikes are a bit overpriced. With road bikes you pay for the aero and integrated aesthetics, but most gravel bikes aren't really that aero anyway (and it matters a lot less). I still wouldn't pick an endurance road bike for gravel (unless gravel means road rides with some relatively easy "sterratto" sections), but you might want to look at some of the CX options. I have the current Giant TCX, and it has a very light frame at a reasonable price point. Since CX isn't that popular, they don't bother doing several tiers of frames, so all bikes get the nice lightweight one. They increased the prices a bit this year, but still, 4099€ for the one with carbon wheels and GRX800 or 2999€ for the one with heavy wheels and GRX600 seems very reasonable given the current market. The only proprietary component is the D shaped seatpost, but the rest is pretty standard. Of course it doesn't have the modern slacker gravel geometry, but I never feel the need for more stability, and the bike doesn't feel sketchy at speed. And on technical climbs, the agile CX geometry works very well.
Gotta disagree with the above recommendation. The OP mentioned their normal riding conditions, and it's mostly tarmac, fire roads and/or grade 2 gravel.

The geometry of the TCX is not great for road riding, and especially bad if you put on tires larger than 33mm. The BB drop is 60mm and the chainstays are 430mm. So in comparison to most road bikes you're at a 12-15mm higher center of gravity for equivalent sized road tires(ie 25-30mm), and it only gets worse with larger tires.

A 70mm drop would be the bare min on any bike you take on tarmac regularly IMO. For something that'll mostly see 32mm tires and above would suggest 75mm.

The TCX is indeed light and a good value (like all Giants) but it has cross specific geo. Also saying it doesn't have many proprietary parts without mentioning the 1-1/4" steerer is a mistake - not a lot of choices for stems and/or one piece bars if the op chooses that.

But agree with the comments about CX tire sizes - it has little to do with what they need, it's rather the UCI rules which limit it to 33mm measured. For some of the races they'd all be on MTB tires if it was legal.

To the OP, don't use overall bike weight from Gran Fondo if you're serious about the total build - start with the frame and fork weight then go from there. A lot of the "cheaper" full bikes come with heavy saddles, seatposts, stems, rotors, tires and tubes where you can immediately lop off hundreds of grams with minimal outlay. Then you can focus on more expensive items like the wheels and crank which should save another couple hundred grams min, and when all is said and done you'll be at a much lower weight than the next model up in the range for a fraction of the price difference.

As for overall "value" that's impossible to discern since that term is completely subjective. However, based off somewhat widespread understanding of beneficial characteristics the point of diminishing returns for carbon gravel bikes is somewhere in the region of $4.4-6k USD/EUR now. After that you're really paying for less weight, be it in component spec or frame construction. With 105 di2 and Rival AXS dropping electronic shifting down a price bracket the quality of shifting really won't improve as you go up in funds.