Lab71 Topstone

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

sigma

by sigma

Cannondale just released it today. Color looks great. Curious what the weight of the original carbon frame was - this is claimed to be 160g lighter (and a lot more expensive). Does not appear to have additional aero touches or integration. Retains the ability to use 650b or 700.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Colors looks fantastic indeed. And 160 grams is quite a lot, relatively speaking of course. 🙂

cerro

by cerro

I can post tomorrow after I had the Medium frame we got at work on a scale :)

Same frameshape as the regular Topstone but Hi-Mod so.

sigma

by sigma

cerro wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:34 pm

That would be terrific! Exactly the size I would be after.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.

sigma

by sigma

cerro wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:34 pm

I am hearing 900g or so which would be very impressive given the suspension.

cerro

by cerro

Not really 900g. This is a Lab71 Topstone in medium. Straight out of the box so including derailleur hanger, bottle cage bolts but no straprack or other things.

sigma

by sigma

cerro wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:21 am
Not really 900g. This is a Lab71 Topstone in medium. Straight out of the box so including derailleur hanger, bottle cage bolts but no straprack or other things.
Thank you! A far cry from 900. Still debating between the MOG, Kaius, Topstone, and Ostro Gravel.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

sigma wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:10 pm
cerro wrote:
Thank you! A far cry from 900. Still debating between the MOG, Kaius, Topstone, and Ostro Gravel.
Where did you hear 900g? Basically every report was 160g savings over older model, and weight was claimed as 1305g on previous gen, so weight seems spot on
https://live-cycling-tips-v4.pantheonsi ... s-details/

1136g with rear suspension seems decent. Hope they upped the tire clearance and went away from AI spacing and the press fit BB.

sigma

by sigma

yinzerniner wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:10 am
sigma wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:10 pm
cerro wrote:
Where did you hear 900g? Basically every report was 160g savings over older model, and weight was claimed as 1305g on previous gen, so weight seems spot on
https://live-cycling-tips-v4.pantheonsi ... s-details/

1136g with rear suspension seems decent. Hope they upped the tire clearance and went away from AI spacing and the press fit BB.
I believe they went away from Ai spacing on the last update and the BB is now BSA. The LBS guy confused the updated weight for the old weight and subtracted the difference. They will get a frame this weekend, so I can check it out.

cerro

by cerro

sigma: What should you use the bike for? Feels that a Kaius and even more Ostro Gravel is more or less pure racebikes while the Topstone is more everything with more focus on comfort and carry things.

I would say Topstone or MOG for adventure, Kaius for racing (tested one last autumn and i'ts so fast), Ostro Gravel looks so massive with enormous tubes I think.

sigma

by sigma

cerro wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:47 pm
sigma: What should you use the bike for? Feels that a Kaius and even more Ostro Gravel is more or less pure racebikes while the Topstone is more everything with more focus on comfort and carry things.

I would say Topstone or MOG for adventure, Kaius for racing (tested one last autumn and i'ts so fast), Ostro Gravel looks so massive with enormous tubes I think.
Great question. I'm probably straddling the middle ground of some racing in the Rockies plus a bit of more technical riding. I have some all road bikes that can handle things relevant for a 700X35 tire. However, many of the mountain gravel races legitimately need 700X42 tires. The appeal of the MOG to me is that I can probably do a bit of both and it was really developed with the same rides I do as a training ground (Enve is right here). The Kaius or Ostro Gravel would make sense to me for midwest races where one could run a 700X38 or even smaller. A big tire will destroy any of those aerodynamic benefits of the frame unfortunately so I don't think you get much advantage in the more techinical races. I don't have a good sense of how the Topstone would be for racing - it's certainly going to be the most comfortable of all of them.

NealH

by NealH

Good comments sigma. In fact this has been a good thread.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

yinzerniner wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:10 am
That already happened last year. All Topstone V2 is BSA with standard 142 spacing, as is every new Cannondale release.

Krisbin

by Krisbin

Great tread! I currently have an Open UP and really like it but all the rest of my bikes are Cannondale and I'm all warm and fuzzy about the Lab 71 Topstone. Would anyone know the weight of the fork?

justonwo

by justonwo

cerro wrote:
Yep, I just got my frame. Straight out of the box, it's 1090 grams. Not even close to the 900 gram value that's advertised all over the place.

Including this press release where they quote a Cannondale employee.

"We don’t have precise figures for the total frame weight, but Cannondale’s Clive Gosling says it’s around 900g."

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/cannonda ... 1-topstone

Pretty disappointed the press releases weren't accurate.
2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 AXS Red (Enve SES 3.4 Disc, Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com