Gravel bike sizing

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

TLN

by TLN

Hi all.

Found Canyon Grizl for sale locally. Will make perfect go around bike for slower rides. Got some question on geometry.

193-194cm me. typically riding 60-61cm frame. Currently on Orbea Orca 60cm: 616 Stack, 404mm reach, 120mm/-8 stem with some spacers underneath. Most of the race bikes got even lower stack in 60-61cm.

Canyon Grizl, size Large (I assume it's 58-59cm): 605mm Stack, 409mm reach, 90mm/-6 stem and some spacers. And Canyon says this is for 184-189cm tall. XL Frame comes with 626/427 stack and reach, XXL frame comes 644/436.

I understand that those are two companies and one can run big. And that I'm comparing gravel to basically race bike.
But why does mid-range (sizing-wise) Canyon is bigger than road bike? Coming from Road bike that 90mm stem seems super short. I can assume that extra reach accounts for that.
I'm not planning for multiple days road trips, looking for fun bike with fat tires instead.

Is that "normal" that Large gravel bike will be bigger than sporty road bike? Should I look at my current road bike geometry when picking gravel bike sizing or not? I'm considering swapping stem for a longer one, but afraid that 110-120mm might be too big?

Should I got for a bigger bike (XL with 626/427 stack and reach) or see if I can fit Large size?
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Hi,
I am 1.90 with long legs (saddle height around 850mm) and ride an XL. You can see me riding it here, spot the orange helmet: https://www.velozine.nl/trails/reizen-g ... -de-alpen/
The Bike is long by design. It is not meant to be a twitchy road bike or CX-rocket. The long front and short stem add to stability in the rougher stuff. A google translate of the article will tell you I had a blast bombing through the Alps. 😊
The fit is quite long though. I swapped the seatpost to a non-setback because with the original setback one It felt a bit too stretched out. I have the bar height maxed out with the spacers and the stem flipped up.
With your height I would definitely go for an XL!

Cheers, Lars

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

That's a good input.
Thing is, with smaller Large size I can add longer stem, as 90mm stem feels twitchy compared to 120-130mm that I'm riding.

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

TLN wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:38 pm
That's a good input.
Thing is, with smaller Large size I can add longer stem, as 90mm stem feels twitchy compared to 120-130mm that I'm riding.
You're welcome.

Should you be in the Netherlands at some point: try my bike and see if yoou still think so. ;-)

TLN

by TLN

de lars cuevas wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:37 am
TLN wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:38 pm
That's a good input.
You're welcome.

Should you be in the Netherlands at some point: try my bike and see if yoou still think so. ;-)
Just checked Canyon XL stack/reach 626/427mm is more than Trek Madone in 62cm: 620/403mm. I guess stem lenths accouts for that change, but after 4-5 years on some road bikes I'm not quite getting it yet.

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

So, you're comparing it to an aero road bike?

The Grizl is not a road bike. Not even an allroadbike. It's a full on gravelbike, meant for rougher gravel, some singletrack, bike-packing and perhaps even some more technical terrain.

Hence the long reach, short stem, wide flared handlebar, long seatstays, 50mm tyre clearance, 1by options, rack mounts, et cetera. Horses for courses.

If you want a bike for mainly road riding with the occasional light gravel ride, you might be better of with an allroad bike with 35 mm tyre clearance, like the Focus Paralane. I reviewed that one in 2018 and a Google translate will tell you that I really liked it. 🙂

https://www.velozine.nl/reviews/test-fo ... vel-light/

Cheers, Lars
Last edited by de lars cuevas on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLN

by TLN

de lars cuevas wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:45 pm
So, you're comparing it to an aero road bike?

The Grizl is not a road bike. Not even an allroadbike. It's a full on gravelbike, meant for rougher gravel, some singletrack, bike-packing and perhaps even some more technical terrain.
I'm comparing one bike to another. Obviously Grizl is way more focused on bad roads than my roadie. I was questioning size Large and stack/reach bigger(longer?) than my 60cm bike that is considered XXL some times.

90mm stem sounds a bit short to me, but I probably need to give it a try first, since bike is so much longer.

de lars cuevas

by de lars cuevas

Yes, please do, it's an awesome bike! 🙂

Having said all that: in the near future I will review a van Nicholas Rowtag gravelbike in XL... With a sub 400 mm reach! So on that bike I need need a longer stem too. But...

The rowtag has quite a slack head angle compared to the Grizl, which makes the front centre longer. I'm a bit in between sizes and considering the front centre of the XL Rowtag is just bout as long as the front centre of the XL grizl, I'm trying the XL Rowtag over the XXL rowtag. 🙂

NordicSal

by NordicSal

TLN wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:55 pm
Hi all.

Found Canyon Grizl for sale locally. Will make perfect go around bike for slower rides. Got some question on geometry.

193-194cm me. typically riding 60-61cm frame. Currently on Orbea Orca 60cm: 616 Stack, 404mm reach, 120mm/-8 stem with some spacers underneath. Most of the race bikes got even lower stack in 60-61cm.

Canyon Grizl, size Large (I assume it's 58-59cm): 605mm Stack, 409mm reach, 90mm/-6 stem and some spacers. And Canyon says this is for 184-189cm tall. XL Frame comes with 626/427 stack and reach, XXL frame comes 644/436.

I understand that those are two companies and one can run big. And that I'm comparing gravel to basically race bike.
But why does mid-range (sizing-wise) Canyon is bigger than road bike? Coming from Road bike that 90mm stem seems super short. I can assume that extra reach accounts for that.
I'm not planning for multiple days road trips, looking for fun bike with fat tires instead.

Is that "normal" that Large gravel bike will be bigger than sporty road bike? Should I look at my current road bike geometry when picking gravel bike sizing or not? I'm considering swapping stem for a longer one, but afraid that 110-120mm might be too big?

Should I got for a bigger bike (XL with 626/427 stack and reach) or see if I can fit Large size?
I'm considering the same as you, to use the Grizl as my Endurace CF SL disc with even bigger clearance so I can gravel for real.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TLN

by TLN

NordicSal wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:08 am
TLN wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:55 pm
Hi all.

I'm considering the same as you, to use the Grizl as my Endurace CF SL disc with even bigger clearance so I can gravel for real.
Ironically, my frame is still sitting as a frame and parts on my workbench. Haven't done much in past few months. I'll definanately give it a try soon though.