LB AR25 vs Roval Terra CL

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

grnrcr

by grnrcr

Need a new set of 700c wheels for the gravel bike. Won’t be running tires smaller than 40mm, most likely. The gravel I ride on has fairly chunky rocks going up and down. Good amount of road miles before I get to dirt (SF to Marin).

Here is the curveball, ideally, I’d also like a set of super light wheels for my Aethos, which is why AR25 is in contention with Terra CL.

350g sort-of aero rim vs. 250g low profile rim. DT350 vs Carbon Ti. ~1400g vs ~1200g wheelset.

Biggest unknown is how indestructible is AR25?

Thoughts?

kode54

by kode54

Not sure how indestructible the AR25 is but I will let you know. I ordered a set a month ago. its on a slow boat to the US, then transfer to UPS for air shipment for my Aethos.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

I made an order of AR25s with bitex hubs. I asked for a slightly reinforced version. I just received mine and put Maxxis Velocia 40c. So far so good. It feels indestructible. Fortified rims weigh 60g more. Mine is 1124g.

나의 SM-G977N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Are they indestructible? No. Are they made out of the same stuff every other carbon composite rim is? Yes. Will the LB rims be a bit cheaper to smash, yes.

I'd only do the cheaper AR24 rim if you go LB. The more expensive version is isn't worth the off-brand price.

FWIW, I've got a number of LB wheelsets that I've smashed into things. The worst of it are chuck of concrete roads that are missing. You get a super deep, large pothole with a square edge. I damaged a DT Swiss g-series AL rim on one. I've hit a few of these with LB rims with various tires and only one has a light scratch one it.

Carbon rims are ridicouly over built. I've never found one that didn't feel indestructable.