Shimano 12s GRX RX820/RX822/RX610, cable pull actuation ratio 11s/12s compatibility

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

sigma

by sigma

bikewithnoname wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:13 am
What were the Unbound riders using? Was 12spd GRX but I've not seen anything more than that
Looked like some of the 12 speed GRX testers were using mullet style setups. One cassette was defintely in the mid 40s teeth range.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

NickB

by NickB

Dual post

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

polpy wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:14 am
Why are the shimano mech shifters so large/ugly?
They've always been agricultural.

ooo

by ooo

2x12 RD-RX820

'

Ritxis

by Ritxis

ooo wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:47 am
2x12 RD-RX820

Will there be a Di2 version?

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

Yes! (eventually.. it seems inevitable).

But no, not this year/release, as far as I know.

robertbb

by robertbb

That's devastating.... - I'm holding off buying 12s road Di2 parts in the hope GRX drops.

RDY

by RDY

TerryDi2C wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:11 am
Yes! (eventually.. it seems inevitable).

But no, not this year/release, as far as I know.
I'd guess we'll see it at Unbound next year, at the absolute earliest. With availability way off.

Shimano being so far behind on the MTB side of things looks like it's bled through to GRX.

robertbb

by robertbb

They've either had massive design/production/distribution issues, or a roadmap re-think are going to drop something unexpected and awesome (1x13? 1x14?).

They're lagging SRAM by quite some margin in the all-road/gravel/MTB market.

satanas

by satanas

I'd say the problems are with production and distribution, not design. It's been that way since at least 2016 and has been getting worse, not better. A number of products that were announced a year or more ago have never become available and the situation with some spares is truly dire, and has been since before COVID; export restrictions only make this worse. There's presumably some bottleneck (lack of funds?), and I'd like to think this will eventually go away, but am not optimistic.

As for SRAM, yes they're producing more new, expensive, unnecessary, and IMHO often poorly-conceived items, but few of these interest me; their worldview and mine don't match well. And while I'd be sad to see Campag fade away into oblivion it might yet happen.

robertbb

by robertbb

I tend to agree on much of this, and SRAM isn't my jam (though some products are tempting...) but their rapid release and innovation - even if the quality or concept are a bit weird - are what's driving the market to some degree. Look at the influence they've had: Campy's updating their road gearing philosophy to be more SRAM-esque, Shimano released a gravel-specific groupset (and 105 Di2, which if not for Rival AXS would never have happened). Even just the whole concept of 1x and "all-road" (aka: gravel) riding in its modern drop-bar expression, we can put down to SRAM...

robertbb

by robertbb

Re-pasting this from another thread:

https://road.cc/content/news/shimano-bi ... -18-302797

"The difficulties facing seemingly all corners of the cycling industry in 2023 appear to show no signs of relenting, with Shimano today reporting a 17.7 percent fall in sales of bicycle components for the first half of the year and a 40 percent drop in operating profit."

This may explain, at least to a degree, delays on certain parts and groupsets - including GRX 12 Di2, for which there's absolutely no detail or leaks. Unlike mechanical, which appears poised to drop very soon.

The bigger they are the harder they fall. I wonder what SRAM's bottom line looks like?

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

robertbb wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:06 am

"The difficulties facing seemingly all corners of the cycling industry in 2023 appear to show no signs of relenting, with Shimano today reporting a 17.7 percent fall in sales of bicycle components for the first half of the year and a 40 percent drop in operating profit."

This may explain, at least to a degree, delays on certain parts and groupsets - including GRX 12 Di2, for which there's absolutely no detail or leaks. Unlike mechanical, which appears poised to drop very soon.

The bigger they are the harder they fall. I wonder what SRAM's bottom line looks like?
Are those figures based on the hyper interest in cycling during the Covid years? My suspiscion is yes, but not confirmed obviously.

It seems across the board in the cycling world, many predicted the growth would go on forever, rather than eventually contract as we are seeing right now. Wasn't that a bit.....dumb?

naitsabeS

by naitsabeS

Kurt1980 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:56 pm
robertbb wrote:

Are those figures based on the hyper interest in cycling during the Covid years? My suspiscion is yes, but not confirmed obviously.

It seems across the board in the cycling world, many predicted the growth would go on forever, rather than eventually contract as we are seeing right now. Wasn't that a bit.....dumb?
Yes, it's down compared to 2022, which the article says was a record setting year. A lot of people can barely afford to live right now, let alone buy new bikes. I think another article mentioned that demand for high end bikes remained good, which makes sense since people with more money can still afford bikes. So if anything, it would make more sense to release Di2 and other high end groups for the people with money that will actually buy bikes, than low end groups for all the people that can't afford it anyway. Unless they are hoping to double dip, get them to buy mechanical now and electrical when it's eventually released.

Aesch

by Aesch

Kurt1980 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:56 pm
robertbb wrote:

Shimano didn't see it that way. They didn't increase production capacity (any more then they did) because they thought it wasnt necessary because demand would fall soon enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com