Help with sizing (in betweener)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

steveadore

by steveadore

I'm looking to buy a Santa Cruz Stigmata. I'm 179 cm tall with shortish legs (inseam of around 81 cm), negative ape index (175 cm arm span) and longer torso and a saddle height of 715 mm. I can fit both 54 and 56 size road and gravel bikes (depending on the model/brand) and prefer a more relaxed position to an aggressive/racy one (I'm not too flexible, but I'm not a beginner either).

I've tested very briefly a size 56 Stigmata. It felt okay, and with slammed 85mm -8 degree stem (no spacers) or a 90mm -17 stem (with 15mm spacers underneath) & only 12-13 cm exposed seat post it would fit me perfectly (based on my ideal stack/reach). The 54 would give me the same fit/position with a 100mm -12 degree stem (on top of 25mm spacers) & more seat post exposure (around 15 cm, I reckon). Which one would you go for if you were me? Please, spare me the "if between sizes, always go for the smaller (as you can make a small bike bigger, but not the other way round)" type of advice (I have successfully made both smaller and bigger road bikes fit me, as I'm in between sizes). I can only get my favorite color in size 56, so that part is a no brainer. And a shorter stem (85-90 mm) is, in fact, ideal on a slacker HTA gravel bike these days. But I'm a bit worried about the short seat post exposure (standover height on the 56 is not ideal, but still within limits), though my current size 54 Spec Crux is almost the same (as it has a 540 mm seat tube comparable to the 545 mm of the size 56 Stigmata).

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I'd look for something else that has my desired fit. No point buying a frame knowing it's not ideal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Volsung

by Volsung

If you're gonna do any super long rides that require a lot of cargo, a larger frame will get you a bigger frame bag. Plus less toe overlap on low speed tech stuff (or running fenders) is always nice.

markdjr

by markdjr

Smaller frame is lighter, more exposed seatpost will be more comfortable.