2023 S-Works Recon SL and ADV

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

These are less wide than the normal S-Works Torch / Ares and outgoing S-Works Recon Wide. So definitely not a wide shoe.

Lell87

by Lell87

RDY wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:34 pm
These are less wide than the normal S-Works Torch / Ares and outgoing S-Works Recon Wide. So definitely not a wide shoe.
They are now 4mm wider than the previous regular Recon MTB and the new wide version is 8mm wider. Pretty sure I read they use the same last as the Torch also.

RDY

by RDY

Lell87 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:15 am
RDY wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:34 pm
They are now 4mm wider than the previous regular Recon MTB and the new wide version is 8mm wider. Pretty sure I read they use the same last as the Torch also.
It's 4mm wider than the old S-Works Recon MTB which is a very narrow shoe. The new Recon ADV (laced) is 8mm wider. There is no wide version, and none planned at this time according to Spec - they also said it's a little narrower than S-Works Torch / Ares.
Last edited by RDY on Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Do you have an official source for that info? I haven't read anywhere thats its more narrow but that would stop me from buying it - once they're available in europe. which they strangely aren't yet.

edit. i'll take back the last, they're listed now

RDY

by RDY

eins4eins wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:23 pm
Do you have an official source for that info? I haven't read anywhere thats its more narrow but that would stop me from buying it - once they're available in europe. which they strangely aren't yet.

edit. i'll take back the last, they're listed now
Yeah, Specialized. I asked them. They say it's 'slightly' narrower. Which makes sense, because the outgoing S-Works Recon MTB is an extremely narrow shoe. Making it 4mm wider in some unnamed size isn't going to make it a wide shoe by any means. You can see from the new Recon ADV that it is a significantly different profile, and a lot more foot shaped. The forefoot on the new S-Works Recon looks better than the old normal, but doesn't look as foot shaped to me as either the S-Works Torch or Ares.

It would be nice if they put width measurements for each size of every shoe model online. All it'd take would be a couple of days for someone with a caliper to take the measurements.

cycleboyco

by cycleboyco

I got the impression they were making a wide version from the following on the US website:

we recognized that both a standard and a wide carbon base plate would best serve the spectrum of human foot shapes

For a wider fit — the new base plate is 4mm wider than the standard width (8mm wider than S-Works Recon Mountain Bike Shoes).-I interpreted that as the wide version providing an extra 4mm over new standard and 8mm wider than the current standard.

I sent an email to Specialized on when the wide version would be available, but have not received a response. I have the current wide version of the Recon and also have the current lace version in the only available standard width.

RDY

by RDY

No, new S-Works Recon MTB is 4mm wider than the old. Recon ADV MTB is 8mm wider.

Specialized Rider Care said there are no plans for a wide at this time.

But it's good to hassle them anyway if you want a wider shoe.

The ADV will probably fit me now, but colors are just so god damned hideous. Wish there was a wide version of the white or orange or green of the new S-Works Recon.

voicycle

by voicycle

RDY wrote:No, new S-Works Recon MTB is 4mm wider than the old. Recon ADV MTB is 8mm wider.

The ADV will probably fit me now, but colors are just so god damned hideous. Wish there was a wide version of the white or orange or green of the new S-Works Recon.
The fact that they’re called ‘SL’ implies there must be a ‘normal’ version in the pipeline too (unless the existing s works recon is remaining in production). Surely they can’t make it all the way into cyclocross season without a flagship shoe that accepts toe spikes?

I’d guess that’s where we see the return of wide widths. Doesn’t get you into a pair of SLs but does get you into a new generation recon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDY

by RDY

voicycle wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:46 pm
RDY wrote:No, new S-Works Recon MTB is 4mm wider than the old. Recon ADV MTB is 8mm wider.

The fact that they’re called ‘SL’ implies there must be a ‘normal’ version in the pipeline too (unless the existing s works recon is remaining in production). Surely they can’t make it all the way into cyclocross season without a flagship shoe that accepts toe spikes?

I’d guess that’s where we see the return of wide widths. Doesn’t get you into a pair of SLs but does get you into a new generation recon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SL implies they're superlight. I don't know what else to tell you, Specialized directly said there were no plans for a wide currently. I think they expect people wanting a wider shoe to either suffer in the S-Works, or buy the ADV.

If enough consumers and dealers hassle them, it might happen, but I doubt they'd provide misleading information about plans for a wide. Much as S are worthy of criticism in many respects, I've always found their US customer service excellent, honest and very straight forward.

I'd guess a dedicated CX version would sell poorly and might not be any wider even if they did do it.

They don't really take wide versions seriously. They're available in very few models, and solely in black.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Not sure why, but on my Recons at both sides the carbon sole is starting to disintegrate. Also the upper is coming loose. Worse on the right shoe, but similar happening on both sides. Anyone with the same problem?
I send a mail to specialized, but i wonder if its an individual problem or if theres something wrong with the shoe.

m3bas

by m3bas

Has anyone been able to buy and use the spacers that were advertised to address leg length differences? I use a 3mm shim on road cleats but always been a struggle for the MTB.
Have contacted Specialized in Australia and they have no idea when the shims will be available. To me that was a big part of the marketing around this new shoe...

romanmoser

by romanmoser

@eins4eins

strange, but not a whole lot sold around for now so can't say i've seen this already;

could you share others pics of the shoes on differents angles to assess the conditions of the shoes ?
I mean it's obviously going to get scuffed etc when walking here and there ( a little, these are not made for walking around that much)
but it seems like one layer is delaminating and coming off at a point where there is not contact with the ground
strange

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com