Gravel handlebars for racing.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

BRyder

by BRyder

Just after some thoughts on what gravel bars people are enjoying.

I currently have the Terra Carbon bars on my crux, but am finding the tubes just to thin for really long days in the saddle. I love the weight of them and the shape of the drops are great with them coming back parallel , but time for a change.

I'm after a bar that will be a little more supportive of my palms...without the risk of being bounced off.

Not to much flare, I either ride on the tops or hoods, only in the drops on long flat non technical sections. I descend on the hoods.

Something with a possible aero profile and still lightweight!

I'm thinking either the Enve AR, Roval Rapide, or a set of the Easton aero bars.

Any experience with these bars for big long all day events?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

BRyder wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:31 am
Just after some thoughts on what gravel bars people are enjoying.

I currently have the Terra Carbon bars on my crux, but am finding the tubes just to thin for really long days in the saddle. I love the weight of them and the shape of the drops are great with them coming back parallel , but time for a change.

I'm after a bar that will be a little more supportive of my palms...without the risk of being bounced off.

Not to much flare, I either ride on the tops or hoods, only in the drops on long flat non technical sections. I descend on the hoods.

Something with a possible aero profile and still lightweight!

I'm thinking either the Enve AR, Roval Rapide, or a set of the Easton aero bars.

Any experience with these bars for big long all day events?
I have used Roval Aeroflys for all day events and would not rate them as overly comfortable. The Rapides are a bit better in this regard, but I would not personally use them for gravel with any kind of technical features. I have a pair of KFC Thompson bars on my Open. They worked nicely for BWR. I am considereing the coefficient AR and I will have a decent review of the Enve AR on the new Melee in about a month. The new Black Inc bars look pretty good too.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

req110

by req110

Normal 40cm handelbars was my choice on my factor LS which i used specifically for gravel routes.
I have never been a fan of those flare 50cm bar to be honest.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

voicycle

by voicycle

Enve AR are amazing comfort. The ‘corners’ are very square which I don’t love but makes them nice and supportive.

I’m asking a slightly different question here but some of the feedback in the replies might be of use to you too: Prime Primavera Bars: comfort/road buzz?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRyder

by BRyder

I have seen quite a few positive reviews of the Coefficient bars. I've looked at them a few times.

I also like the look of the black inc bars (assuming the one piece) they seem quite heavy, but shape looks good.

I think I'm currently leaning towards the Easton EC90AX or the Enve AR. It's interesting that you mention the edges are quite square, I haven't heard that before, so good to be aware.
The eastons look quite similar, in shape, bit lighter.

HMITCHR

by HMITCHR

Best aero gravel handlebar on the market imo is the 3T Aeroghiaia. 40cm at the hoods, flared to 48cm in the drops but the flare does not start until after the hoods so perfect vertical shifters. Also ridiculously light at 229g claimed weight (mine measured 221g on my scale). I previously had the Superghiaia which is identical in shape, and thought it was my favorite handlebar ever but swapped to the Aeroghiaia and I love it even more

voicycle

by voicycle

BRyder wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:04 am
Enve AR. It's interesting that you mention the edges are quite square, I haven't heard that before, so good to be aware.
Reading that back I can see my language might have been confusing. I don't mean square in terms of sharp edges on the hands or anything, I just mean the 'tops' are basically a straight line with a 90 deg angle forward to the hoods, where most other bars (my Roval Rapides for example) have more of an 'arc' shape with the tops gently sweeping forward to meet the hoods. Effectively this means on the ARs you can ride the 'corners' in a more upright position than you would on the Rapides.

Look at photos of the overhead (rider) view of the bars and you'll see what I mean.

teckert

by teckert

The new Easton EC90 ALX look very appealing as well, with just a 10 degree flare (40cm = 44.3cm in drops) and potentially sub 200 grams.

cerro

by cerro

req110 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:57 pm
Normal 40cm handelbars was my choice on my factor LS which i used specifically for gravel routes.
I have never been a fan of those flare 50cm bar to be honest.
Can agree, why do you have to have flare on gravel?

I use a Specialized S-Works Shallow 38cm bar on my gravelbike, after my Darimo Ellipse cracked...
Feels good and no need for flare for me.

bmCube

by bmCube

I also don't have flared handlebars on my gravel bikes. Just a normal handlebar that I like (40CC-42CC)

BRyder

by BRyder

Yeah definitely don't need flared bars, all day comfort for long gravel racing events, so hopefully a little aero advantage.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

I have the Black Inc bars on my gravel/CX bike. Very slight flare, 40cm at tops, 42 in drops. They aren't super flat, more of an oval shape to the tops which is super comfortable and they have an ever so slight backsweep to the tops.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com